McDonalds Spike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a MacDonalds double cheeseburger every so often and only eat the bottom half of the bun. I have no bad spike really with that.

When I looked it was about 30g for the burger and 30g for the chips for what the OP said she had had.
That's exactly what the McD site said.. it was 60 carbs.. I still managed to stay under 100 for the day and I still lost 3lb this week when I weighed myself today. It wasn't a travesty regardless of what Robert said.. I don't have to admit to any problem because I had a McD's once in 3 months.. but he certainly does have a problem if he can't be civil to people on this forum.

Thanks Travellor. I didn't see the original post you replied to so I can't reply to it now but how very rude! Not sure why he chose to have a go. We are all doing our best. Honestly, I'm not sure why, if people haven't got anything constructive or helpful to say, they don't just scroll past!

Sadly, sometimes the zealots move in.
We all need to find out way to live with diabetes, that needs to be respected, and supported.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the numbers you said, in fact it's an amazingly good result.

I'm not perfect dealing with my diet.. and I don't want to be. I'm good most of the time but if we went out for a meal (not something we are doing right now) I would enjoy myself. I wouldn't eat everything I did before diagnosis and I choose well, but I probably wouldn't be too bothered if I went over my carbs that day. Didn't expect to be judged so severely by a fellow diabetic but I guess some people ARE perfect every single day of their lives!

I have a MacDonalds double cheeseburger every so often and only eat the bottom half of the bun. I have no bad spike really with that.
I'm definitely going to do that next time I fall off the wagon!!

I'm not perfect dealing with my diet.. and I don't want to be. I'm good most of the time but if we went out for a meal (not something we are doing right now) I would enjoy myself. I wouldn't eat everything I did before diagnosis and I choose well, but I probably wouldn't be too bothered if I went over my carbs that day. Didn't expect to be judged so severely by a fellow diabetic but I guess some people ARE perfect every single day of their lives!

I decided I wasn't going to let diabetes mess with my head.
I read so many posts about how BG was the only thing to focus on, how any spike was bad, how there was a four club, how any spike of more than 2 was bad, and all sorts of other nonsense.
But I also looked at the normal BG that non diabetics had, and also looked at the range of type 1 diabetics.
I had a mate that lived to a ripe old age as a type 1, with no problems at all.
So, even though I actually did reverse my diabetes, I wasn't going to swap one issue for another.
So, enjoy your meals out, enjoy your cheeseburgers, above all, enjoy your life how you want to.

Lots of worry over nothing, so, you saw & 10 but came back down, job done.

Here's a good thread where a non-diabetic low carb doc wore a CGM & ate everything
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1163546496236752896.html

This is what a full McDonalds did to him

ECao52FWkAEXNbp

And bit him twice for good measure

ECaz846UwAQpGTG

On that thread a Pharmacist responds with a similar experience from one of her staff who also experimented with a CGM while eating a McDonalds, she is described as young & healthy.

ECbM5AHWsAAW5yj

Now I know these "normal" people probably had large fries with full sugar coke/milkshake but you get the gist.
Hope you enjoyed it, don't sweat the 10, once in a while won't harm anyone

Here's a good thread where a non-diabetic low carb doc wore a CGM & ate everything

ECao52FWkAEXNbp

ECaz846UwAQpGTG

On that thread a Pharmacist responds with a similar experience from one of her staff who also experimented with a CGM while eating a McDonalds, she is described as young & healthy.

ECbM5AHWsAAW5yj

Now I know these "normal" people probably had large fries with full sugar coke/milkshake but you get the gist.

Yes, normal none diabetic people spike.
However, to some this will simply prove nobody should eat McDonalds I fear!

However, to some this will simply prove nobody should eat McDonalds I fear!
what proves to me not to eat a McDonalds is I feel so rubbish after it and am staving before the next mealtime :rofl:
I came to that conclusion long before D was in the picture 😉
(sorry to all the McDs lovers out there - boneless chicken from kfc all the way for me if it must be fast food)

fantastic link actually, bookmarked that one 🙂

That is very interesting, as when I wore a Libre I noticed some meals I have give me double peaks like that... I just put it down to a splurge of glucose from initial digestion followed by a reduction due to insulin, then another splurge as more stuff is digested, perhaps delayed by fats getting digested. (My peaks were small ones into the sixes)

I don't think splurge is very scientific, but it didn't bother me that I saw twin peaks. I was more pleased to see it going down after each rise which probably means something is still working.

ECao52FWkAEXNbp

ECaz846UwAQpGTG

ECbM5AHWsAAW5yj

Thankyou for posting this, it’s really helped me.

I

ECao52FWkAEXNbp

ECaz846UwAQpGTG

ECbM5AHWsAAW5yj

I’ve just read this article. It’s the best thing I’ve read since being diagnosed.thank you! Now following him on Twitter!

Yes, i know it was a mistake, yes I know i shouldn't have done it, yes I regret it.

BUT I was starving!

After 7 solid weeks dieting I just felt like I needed a Mcdonalds! :rofl: I've been an idiot today. I'm still within my daily calories, and even within my carbs as I have 100.. but my BG reading after an hour and a half was 10. The highest it's ever been. I'm annoyed with myself because in another half an hour it will be higher.. I'm not going to take another reading though! I didn't even enjoy it.. I wish I could say it was worth it! I think there should be a Carbs Anonymous meeting!!

Has it taught me a lesson.. probably not.. will I do it again.. probably, will I regret it, definitely. It's a vicious circle people!
One of the good things about McDonalds is that they provide carbs and other nutritional information. If you compare a burger at McDonalds with a regular meal, it does not have so many carbs. At least, the Mc Plant is (of the top of my head) 40 grams of carbs. I guess that when eating out, McDonalds is not too bad to restaurants that do not provide info, I suppose. Sometimes it seems our bodies respond differently depending on so many other factors, that you can try again and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back