McDonalds Spike!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynne888

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yes, i know it was a mistake, yes I know i shouldn't have done it, yes I regret it.

BUT I was starving!

After 7 solid weeks dieting I just felt like I needed a Mcdonalds! :rofl: I've been an idiot today. I'm still within my daily calories, and even within my carbs as I have 100.. but my BG reading after an hour and a half was 10. The highest it's ever been. I'm annoyed with myself because in another half an hour it will be higher.. I'm not going to take another reading though! I didn't even enjoy it.. I wish I could say it was worth it! I think there should be a Carbs Anonymous meeting!!

Has it taught me a lesson.. probably not.. will I do it again.. probably, will I regret it, definitely. It's a vicious circle people!

Yes, i know it was a mistake, yes I know i shouldn't have done it, yes I regret it.

BUT I was starving!

After 7 solid weeks dieting I just felt like I needed a Mcdonalds! :rofl: I've been an idiot today. I'm still within my daily calories, and even within my carbs as I have 100.. but my BG reading after an hour and a half was 10. The highest it's ever been. I'm annoyed with myself because in another half an hour it will be higher.. I'm not going to take another reading though! I didn't even enjoy it.. I wish I could say it was worth it! I think there should be a Carbs Anonymous meeting!!

Has it taught me a lesson.. probably not.. will I do it again.. probably, will I regret it, definitely. It's a vicious circle people!
It should be lower after another half an hour, but it depends on what you were before you ate the food as if you were more than 7mmol/l then the food was actually not too bad. Only half of the bread may make all the difference next time.
What did you actually have?

It was 6.1 so it actually went up 4. I thought I chose fairly well for bad food! I had the small fries and a cheeseburger but 60 carbs at one meal😳 I guess I should have chose one carb or the other. It's the heaviest carb meal I've had since finding out about diabetes. Another lesson learnt I guess! It's actually put me off for a while which is a good thing! It's been two hours now and I've taken a reading and it's 8.7

My peak is always around the 3/4 to an hour mark. 10 isn’t awful and if that’s the highest you have seen then I’d be happy with that !! Put it this way, I love the sausage baps from Costa, I usually just eat the sausage and give the bap to the other half who can eat his body weight twice over in carbs (and often does) and never budge over 6, once I treated myself to half the bap, was at 14, 2 hours later would of been higher at the hour mark. I’d say your maccy d’s was successful!

My peak is always around the 3/4 to an hour mark. 10 isn’t awful and if that’s the highest you have seen then I’d be happy with that !! Put it this way, I love the sausage baps from Costa, I usually just eat the sausage and give the bap to the other half who can eat his body weight twice over in carbs (and often does) and never budge over 6, once I treated myself to half the bap, was at 14, 2 hours later would of been higher at the hour mark. I’d say your maccy d’s was successful!
Well Emma, you've certainly made me feel a lot better about it all! It's difficult to always make the right choices.. and what can I say, I've always been a bit rebellious! 😉 It's worried me about to be a bit more selective though..not sure I could give up the whole bun but could certainly cut it down to half!

Well Emma, you've certainly made me feel a lot better about it all! It's difficult to always make the right choices.. and what can I say, I've always been a bit rebellious! 😉 It's worried me about to be a bit more selective though..not sure I could give up the whole bun but could certainly cut it down to half!
Glad your happier! And you know what I should be a bit more rebellious… I will tell the other half he can keep his hands off my baps :rofl:😉

It was 6.1 so it actually went up 4. I thought I chose fairly well for bad food! I had the small fries and a cheeseburger but 60 carbs at one meal😳 I guess I should have chose one carb or the other. It's the heaviest carb meal I've had since finding out about diabetes. Another lesson learnt I guess! It's actually put me off for a while which is a good thing! It's been two hours now and I've taken a reading and it's 8.7
The time people normally check is 2 hours so you were fine by then.
There was about the same carbs in the fries (30g) as in the burger most of which would have been in the bun, so half the bun and half the fries would have reduced the carbs to two thirds if not more.

Last edited:
Don’t know if it helps but on the rare occasions that I have a burger in a pub, I can tolerate the fries without a huge spike but if I eat the bun made of refined white flour, I’ll inevitably end up well over 10… very refined carbs?

Don’t know if it helps but on the rare occasions that I have a burger in a pub, I can tolerate the fries without a huge spike but if I eat the bun made of refined white flour, I’ll inevitably end up well over 10… very refined carbs?
That’s interesting John. I guess it could just be having double carbs of chips AND bread but I don’t eat white bread normally so it could be refined carbs!

Did you know that you can de-select the bun at McDonalds? That's a good reduction in carbs. Look at 'options' and make the bun zero

Did you know that you can de-select the bun at McDonalds? That's a good reduction in carbs. Look at 'options' and make the bun zero
How is it served if no bun, just the burger in paper? Sounds tricky to eat?

How is it served if no bun, just the burger in paper? Sounds tricky to eat?

And not worth eating to be honest.
You can always find peaks, even non diabetics rise, that's why the two hour time is the one that's normally important.

Way more than 60 gms of carb in a hamburger in a roll plus fries. Probably twice that. First, admit that you have a problem, then you can start to deal with it ?

Don't be silly.
A McDonalds and those numbers aren't a problem.
Stop trying to judge people on this site.
And you are also talking rubbish.
Small fries 29g of carbs.
Cheeseburger 31g of carbs
For those of us that can count, that's dead on 60g
The only one with a problem here is you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you see that documentary on MaccyDees? It was just about the health side of it, not just the D side. They measured a person's blood and it was nice and runny and she then had a Big Mac meal and they measured the blood again and it was like treacle. Agh, made me come over all unnecessary. :( The liquid could hardly move in the testube.

I would say you've scratched an itch. But you stayed within your cal and carb levels. My diabetic nurse actually told me - moderation, not denial - as nobody is perfect! So I do have the occasional treat, but like you, within my daily cal and carb limits.

As a one-off you've done great @Lynne888, it's no good trying to get through life completely carb free and the odd occasion isn't going to hurt. Just hope you really, really enjoyed it! You can set a goal of another treat in another few weeks...we all deserve a little of what we fancy, just as long as we don't do it every day 🙂

Did you see that documentary on MaccyDees? It was just about the health side of it, not just the D side. They measured a person's blood and it was nice and runny and she then had a Big Mac meal and they measured the blood again and it was like treacle. Agh, made me come over all unnecessary. :( The liquid could hardly move in the testube.
Well, if it could be used as a coagulant, it would be great to treat wounds. Nations have spent a fortune trying to stop bleeds on battlefields, and a Big Mac was the answer all along.

Don't be silly.
A McDonalds and those numbers aren't a problem.
Stop trying to judge people on this site.
And you are also talking rubbish.
Small fries 29g of carbs.
Cheeseburger 31g of carbs
For those of us that can count, that's dead on 60g
The only one with a problem here is you.
Thanks Travellor. I didn't see the original post you replied to so I can't reply to it now but how very rude! Not sure why he chose to have a go. We are all doing our best. Honestly, I'm not sure why, if people haven't got anything constructive or helpful to say, they don't just scroll past!

As a one-off you've done great @Lynne888, it's no good trying to get through life completely carb free and the odd occasion isn't going to hurt. Just hope you really, really enjoyed it! You can set a goal of another treat in another few weeks...we all deserve a little of what we fancy, just as long as we don't do it every day 🙂

Carb free?
Does anyone do that?
We're talking a cheeseburger with 31g of carbs here.
Not a family sized stuffed crust from Domino's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back