1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Mam to Type 1 son

Discussion in 'Parents' started by J7BLE, Mar 16, 2019.

1. HOBIE

HOBIE Well-Known Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 1
    I play Chess a lot on the computer & have an 80% winning record. I have tested bg while playing & my bg goes down (I don't like to loose) Matt might be the same :rolleyes:

J7BLE likes this.
  2. Oslo1

Oslo1 Member

Parent

3. Oslo1

Oslo1 Member

Parent
    Hi my 9 year old son has just been diagnosed with type 1 he has been amazing and so brave. I feel exactly like you have said every time I think about it I burst into tears and feel anxious all the time. Im glad you have posted and im not the only one feeling like this.I wanted to ask how you feel now and is it getting better

HOBIE likes this.
  4. HOBIE

HOBIE Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Hi Oslo1 & welcome :). As a 3yr old in 1966 its got miles better. The future is looking much better with pumps & CGM. Good luck ;)

5. J7BLE

J7BLE Active Member

Parent
    Hello!
    I hope you are doing ok today. Having posted on here and a few Facebook forums I discovered that how I was feeling is a “normal” reaction and that did make me feel better. It really is like a grieving process.
    At first you are in shock and just cry all the time. After a few weeks you will start to feel overwhelmed by it all and feel that you can’t cope.....but you WILL cope and in the coming months you will start to feel that this condition will not rule your life.
    I hit the 6 month mark and started to feel that maybe I shouldn’t be sad anymore and that I needed to pull myself together. But having spoke to people on here and other Facebook forums I realised that it does take time and it’s still early days for us.
    In all honesty I still have bad days where I feel down and overwhelmed by it all BUT then it passes and I think all I can do is my best to keep Matthew safe and healthy. I’m still very emotional about it all but at the end of the day they are our babies and it’s not the life we ever wanted for them. But this is our life now and we have to make the best of it and not let diabetes control us.
    We have recently returned from our first holiday since diagnosis. Just went to a lodge in this country not too far from home.....we had a fantastic time and didn’t let diabetes stop us from doing what we normally would do. Yes it took a bit more planning and it’s always there in the back of your mind but we had fun. I feel that I’ve got a small amount of control back and know we can still enjoy our holidays.
    So...in answer to your question....yes I do feel better than when I reached out on here for support. What you are feeling now is totally normal and to be expected. With time you will gradually feel a bit better and the tears will get less. Like I said it’s still early days for me and yes I’m still sad about it all but I don’t cry every day and my anxiety is better so I’m taking that as progress.
    It’s a constant learning process and you will have good and bad days.
    On a more positive note Matthew is still handling this all so fantastically. He never complains or moans about things and just gets on with everything he has to do. I hope your son is still coping well too. Kids really are so resilient and I’m totally in awe of Matthew and how well he copes with everything.
    So long as he’s happy and healthy then I’m doing my job ok
    Hang in there and just do your best.....things will get easier xx

Bronco Billy, HOBIE and Oslo1 like this.
  6. Thebearcametoo

Thebearcametoo Well-Known Member

Parent
    Another one with a 9 year old with a March diagnosis. We’re mostly feeling overwhelmed and a bit like we’re running a marathon but the day to day management is getting easier.

HOBIE and Oslo1 like this.
  7. Oslo1

Oslo1 Member

Parent
    You have made me feel so much better knowing I'm not alone thank you Owen isn't at school yet as teachers need to be trained first. So that will he the next big step. He takes a packed lunch so I'm guessing I just carb count everything and make a note of it I mostly worried about hypo s as he has had a few and we can't tell signs. Also Owen can eat carb free snacks without having insulin so far I've only found carrots and cucumbers any ideas?

HOBIE likes this.
  8. HOBIE

HOBIE Well-Known Member

Type 1
    As I have said before "I would employ any T1" with the right attude. because I know they can do it.

Oslo1 likes this.
  9. Bronco Billy

Bronco Billy Moderator

Parent
    @Oslo1, cheese and meat (except sausages) are carb free. My daughter loves raiding the packet of ham.

10. J7BLE

J7BLE Active Member

Parent
    Afternoon!
    Yes going back to school is a big challenge for parents....I didn’t cope very well....Matthew on the other hand was fine and just got on with it. He actually missed his first 2 weeks starting comp as he was diagnosed the day before. He was amazing and jumped straight in....we are so proud of him. I’m sure Owen will adjust just as well as Matthew, kids really are tougher than we think.
    Matthew eats cheese / baby bells / ham / chicken / sugar(carb free) jelly if he’s hungry between meals or if he has a bad hypo which leaves him starving!! Egg is also a good choice....scrambled / fried if he’s really hungry.
    Owen (and you) will soon learn the signs of a hypo...Matthew goes very pale and feels “shaky and a bit sick”
    In the coming months as you learn more about it I can really recommend the Libre sensor. Have a read about it....it’s an option for the future.
    I would also recommend joining the “UK CWD AG” Facebook group. At first I didn’t want to do that but after a few month when I was still struggling I joined and it did help me. Everyone understands how you are feeling and are always there to offer advice and support.
    Take care Julie x

11. Lucy Honeychurch

Lucy Honeychurch Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Hi and welcome :)
    Sorry to hear about Owen's diagnosis :(. On the parent forum you can apply for a parents type 1 information bag to help you. Also the Ragnar Hanas book Type 1 diabetes in Children and Adolescents comes highly recommended. Keep posting and asking any questions :)

12. Oslo1

Oslo1 Member

Parent

13. Oslo1

Oslo1 Member

Parent

14. Oslo1

Oslo1 Member

Parent
    Hi
    Thank you for the snack ideas SF jelly sounds like a winner. If your son is having a snack Does he always takes bloods first I feel I am confusing myself to day I thought I was getting more confident with this but today I did my first food shop i found it difficult looking at foods differently Owen loves asda fresh pizzas and have had many times without thinking but now I'm looking for carbs there wasn't any nutrient advice on the pizza and assistant was very unhelpful getting upset over a pizza crazy I know. Your son seems to be coping very well their amazing
    Thanks again for advice Kathryn x

15. Bronco Billy

Bronco Billy Moderator

Parent
    In an ideal world, bloods should be taken before any food. However, it’s not always practical or, frankly, fair to the child (in my humble opinion). We only test before a snack if the previous test was on the high side.

We used to buy Asda fresh pizzas, but found it worth making the sacrifice of switching to the frozen version due to the certainty of the nutritional information. I do the big food shop as ‘er indoors doesn’t drive. I used to be a bit nervous in case I bought the wrong version of a product, but now I have developed the knowledge to be more aware of what I’m buying. You will reach this stage too. It even affects me when I’m buying food for me at lunchtime. It’s as if the dietician is looking over my shoulder nagging me about what I’m thinking of buying! “Don’t buy that, buy this.” and “Oooo, have you seen the amount of carbs/fat in that? Are you sure you want to eat that?” I can hear her saying. I guess I’m better for it. :rolleyes:

Oslo1 likes this.
  16. J7BLE

J7BLE Active Member

Parent
    Morning!
    Yes I remember taking Matthew to ASDA for the first time after diagnosis....it was so upsetting!! I don’t think anyone can understand until you start actually looking at packets and seeing the amount of carbs in things you usually buy or like you say the lack of info on some things.

Have you got the Carbs and Cals book ? That is a good guide.....you can just weigh the food and it gives you a rough carb count. I’ve got the app on my phone too which is really helpful.
    Yes pizza is a difficult one...like Bronco said frozen is a good idea as carbs are usually on there. Or failing that use carbs and cals book and just weigh it.

We don’t always test before snacks either....just put the bolus carbs in Matthews meter and get a insulin amount from there. To be honest Matthew rarely eats between meals....something which has surprised me as he used to be a terrible snacker (not such a bad change I suppose)

It has really surprised me the lack of understanding surrounding carb counting and diabetes. One restaurant we went to assumed I wanted to know the carbs as I was watching his weight with him being diabetic.....I didn’t even have the heart to correct him!!

You are doing amazing and things will get easier....it feels overwhelming and scary now but you are doing your best and asking questions is how you will learn.

Hope you have a good day today x

17. Thebearcametoo

Thebearcametoo Well-Known Member

Parent
    The carbs and Cals app and book are really helpful for judging portions and working out carbs. If you always get the same pizza then you can work out the carbs once and note it down and you won’t need it for next time. Our diabetes team say we’re aiming to estimate the carbs to within about 10g so it doesn’t have to be exact the the gram for everything. Mostly now I know out common foods to be able to look at them and know her toast is 15, porridge 25, how big a portion of berries is etc. Some foods seem to make her spike and then crash (hello sushi!) so we try to give them at lunch time and make sure she had a good sized pudding with a reasonable amount of fat in and some protein so that helps stabilise her. It’s all a bit trial and error to begin with but you do get used to it.

We were very cautious about how many carbs we were giving to begin with but I’ve relaxed that a bit now. As long as we make sure there’s a good mix of fat and protein then we just give the insulin as appropriate and she’s generally fine. Although she is choosing to eat fewer carbs sometimes anyway.

I do find it overwhelming to stand in shops and see all the carb laden foods - especially treats - but the hardest thing for me has been eating out and looking at drinks and unless there are zero sugar Fanta or sprite or whatever then that can get a bit dull as we try to limit sugars from drinks. It’s easier in somewhere like McDonalds than a lot of more upmarket family friendly places where they try to avoid sweeteners.

Oslo1 likes this.