Malfunction of Pump ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShmuelD

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Has anyone had a situation where there Pump malfunctioned and gave an unexpected amount of Insulin ?

No because it shouldnt happen, on a pump you set a limit on max bolus dose which pump will deliver, anything over that it won't deliver unless you manually bypass function.

I have never had my pump give me too much insulin.
There have been situations where I have used Extended bolus which have not been completed due to an occlusion or an auto suspend.

@ShmuelD have you experienced such a pump malfunction or are you concerned about one happening?

Well I have malfunctioned on several occasions over the years and given myself too much insulin !
I then had to eat to compensate .......
but no, I've not had that specific malfunction on my Roche insight pump.

If I suspect that if I am going low [BG] , for whatever reason, its worth remembering that glucose goes in faster than sugar.

Nope, we’ve been using pumps for nearly 12 years and have never had a problem with one. They usually have two chips which are always checking each other and many other safety controls, so if there is any sign of a malfunction there will be alarms or the pump will shut down. User error is a lot more likely!

Has anyone had a situation where there Pump malfunctioned and gave an unexpected amount of Insulin ?
Is it a medtronic pump by ny chance?

Eek! Sounds like you may have had a pretty scary experience @ShmuelD 😱

Are the logs on your pump showing a delivery that you didn’t instruct?

What makes you think your pump has malfunctioned?

Are you in contact with the pump manufacturer?

There was a post in the pump forum from a parent who was being accused of overdosing her child with insulin. I'm sure someone can find it for you.
There's also a post in the parents section regarding a faulty pump not delivering enough insulin.

Is it a medtronic pump by ny chance?
Yes it was ! Why do you ask ?

My daughter got an "over dose" in the middle of the middle of the night and we were up all hours trying to compensate not knowing what had happened ! Finally by the morning we got her stabilized but then her body over reacted and she went into Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and was hospitalized for close to a week ! It was only in the hospital that we realized that this was all caused by the pump delivering an unexpected high dose of Insulin !!!!!!!

Has this type of thing ever happened to anyone else ????

My daughter got an "over dose" in the middle of the middle of the night and we were up all hours trying to compensate not knowing what had happened ! Finally by the morning we got her stabilized but then her body over reacted and she went into Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) and was hospitalized for close to a week ! It was only in the hospital that we realized that this was all caused by the pump delivering an unexpected high dose of Insulin !!!!!!!

There was a lady posting in the pump forum who had the same problem with their child's pump. You need to have a look in there and see if you can find it.
I hope your daughter is ok now it must have been very scary for you.
Do you have the pump set so it can only deliver a certain amount of bolus at one time and so much in the day as well?

Thats scary, what has consultant & manufacture said about it?

There was a lady posting in the pump forum who had the same problem with their child's pump. You need to have a look in there and see if you can find it.
I hope your daughter is ok now it must have been very scary for you.
Do you have the pump set so it can only deliver a certain amount of bolus at one time and so much in the day as well?

I remember that. There was also someone whose child’s pump was under-delivering. That was a Medtronic pump too, I think.

@ShmuelD Here’s the thread I remembered:

https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/board...ulin-pump-bolus-delivery.101833/#post-1194093

Hi @ShmuelD and welcome to the forum.

I see you are posting from Israel and I thought it would be sensible to point this out to our largely UK based membership. Overseas members are very welcome, diabetes is diabetes no matter where you live, but we need to recognise that different countries have different protocols and this sometimes needs to be taken into account when comparing experiences and how a given set of circumstances might be dealt with.

Hi @ShmuelD and welcome to the forum.

I see you are posting from Israel and I thought it would be sensible to point this out to our largely UK based membership. Overseas members are very welcome, diabetes is diabetes no matter where you live, but we need to recognise that different countries have different protocols and this sometimes needs to be taken into account when comparing experiences and how a given set of circumstances might be dealt with.
With respect this is a medical device sold world wide and a simple question was asked regarding the delivery of insulin from it when it wasn't bolused for.
I have read over many years about the Medtronic pump doing this the main country is the USA but then they have a lot more pump users.

Happened to someone on my old forum. (Diabetes Support Forum) several years ago. She ended up in hospital, after which she came off the pump right away and wouldn't trust another one to this day.

Quite true @Pumper_Sue and the topic is of importance to all users.

I was just trying to guard against confusion over recommended courses of action which might (or might not) vary from country to country depending local health care services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back