Majority of Brits no longer own a land line.

I still have my landline because WiFi and broadband is always going down in my village, often several times a week. So the landline is my safety net!

I live in a village too all be it a large one now, and we get a lot of power cuts too. It was explained to m that in towns the cables are underground but in villages in country areas the electricity cables are overground. That's why we get frequent power cuts.

I still have my landline because WiFi and broadband is always going down in my village, often several times a week. So the landline is my safety net!
Yeah, we cut our new fibre broadband charges by a significant amount loosing the landline.
Lol, still cynical. Because the fibre still piggybacks of a copper wire? Had no complaints before & I stream a lot. Never been an issue with mobile signal. Use WiFi with our mobile phones. (Vid & call chat.) just glad to be shot of the spam calls from other “regions” claiming I have a “virus.” Or “something.” (We were meant to be a directory? On the land line.)

There is no fibre bb in my area. I just wonder what the millions of people who only have landlines and no need for broadband or computers are going to do come December 2025.

There is no fibre bb in my area. I just wonder what the millions of people who only have landlines and no need for broadband or computers are going to do come December 2025.
We have smart TVs & broadband computing in our area. My wife has worked from home since lockdown? Anything from the ringing from landline has been spam. Dispite being “X directory” for years. Never had any issues in my area with internet. We just make sure we have a decent router?

I just wonder what the millions of people who only have landlines and no need for broadband or computers are going to do come December 2025.
There'll still be landlines (phones connected to cables that come into your house). They'll just be different, using digital rather than analogue technology.

There'll still be landlines (phones connected to cables that come into your house). They'll just be different, using digital rather than analogue technology.
I don't know enough about it but will digital be ok in an area that gets a lot of power cuts? I like my smart tv and wifi, but rarely botger with a lot of the apps, .i like Netflix

I don't know enough about it but will digital be ok in an area that gets a lot of power cuts? I like my smart tv and wifi, but rarely botger with a lot of the apps, .i like Netflix
This is what Ofcom says (my bold type):-

The analogue landline carries a low voltage power connection directly from the telephone exchange, which is sufficient to power some basic corded handsets without needing to plug them into the wall. This means that in the event of a local power cut, these corded handsets will continue to function as long as the telephone exchange still has power.

Digital landlines cannot carry a power connection, which means handsets and routers must be powered from your home power supply, and they will not function in a power cut unless you have a backup power system such as a battery or generator.

This is what Ofcom says (my bold type):-

The analogue landline carries a low voltage power connection directly from the telephone exchange, which is sufficient to power some basic corded handsets without needing to plug them into the wall. This means that in the event of a local power cut, these corded handsets will continue to function as long as the telephone exchange still has power.

Digital landlines cannot carry a power connection, which means handsets and routers must be powered from your home power supply, and they will not function in a power cut unless you have a backup power system such as a battery or generator.
Thank you Martin, I think I understand better

when I have a power cut my landline does not work.

I assume there'll be a market for suitable phones+routers which have a backup battery. Maybe those already exist? It's certainly an issue since power outages certainly happen and it's helpful to have phones that still work.
According to BT a Battery Backup Unit (BBU) can provide power to a hub for at least an hour if there’s a power cut so that emergency calls can still be made from a Digital Voice phone or existing corded handset. They also say they're working with medical equipment providers while they update their equipment, but ask people to make sure their own equipment provider will have a backup available.

What happens if the power cut is for more than an hour isn't clear.

Last edited:
In an emergency I have my mobile so not worried on that score only loss of my internet which I could not live without

I've been with talktalk for some time now. The most important thing to do is NEVER NEVER EVER phone their support line.
The 'script monkeys' will annoy the hell outta you by making you jump through endless hoops until you desperately want to beat the hell outta something (pick a pillow and let rip on that).

The best way to get decently fast and good resolution (after trying rebooting etc), is to log a call on their forum giving as much helpful detail as you have. Log it asap to get it seen sooner.
The forum is by far the best route to getting any issues fixed. The support team pick up issues and get them looked at.
I am totally confused. Today I decided to post a message on that link, when I did a message appeared telling me to correct the highlighted errors and post again. Only problem nothing was highlighted so I just clicked ' post' again and a message appeared telling me "maximum flood limit reached" honestly what a terribke company

Odd, I've posted on there numerous times and no errors

I doubt I will be without my landline, often my mobile phone cannot pick up the signal so unreliable as far as depending on only that. Where'as with the new fibre phone for land line rarely is there a problem.

Odd, I've posted on there numerous times and no errors
well I have had very bad experiences on that site, not sure what to do next but this cannot be happening to me, I got an email to say they will take my 2nd payment of £34 by direct debit, so that makes 2 payments when I've had no service, not to mention the month before the first payment when they were 'working' on the migration, no use of my phone incoming or outgoing. I am surprised this company is still in business.

Back