Maggie Davey's letter to newly-diagnosed Type 2s

ianf0ster

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The only niggle I have about this, probably due to when it was written, is that it still demonises Fat (especially saturated fat).
Thus it mentions using single cream (rather than double), Lean skinless chicken, instead of fatty Beef, Lamb and Pork .
Doesn't mention lovely hard cheeses, full-fat Greek style yogurt etc.

Neens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for all of this. I have a folder on the PC where I am building up a range of reading/advice/help.

Steve75

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the clear write up which makes it so much clearer to a newbie to understand.
I am still trying to find what works for me but more importantly I know a lot more of what to avoid

MrsA25

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
thanks Maggie!
the best, simplest summary of everything I've been trying to find out after being diagnosed a week ago. You are a superstar

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The only niggle I have about this, probably due to when it was written, is that it still demonises Fat (especially saturated fat).
Thus it mentions using single cream (rather than double), Lean skinless chicken, instead of fatty Beef, Lamb and Pork .
Doesn't mention lovely hard cheeses, full-fat Greek style yogurt etc.
Agreed. It also says the body needs to use carbs for fuel and of course if you go keto it doesn't - it uses fat for fuel.
I eat a lot of fat because of going onto keto almost straight away after my diagnosis and I've stuck with that way of eating and my cholesterol levels, cardiovascular health and liver function have all gone back to normal.
Keto (very low carbohydrate and high fat which make the body use fat for fuel instead of carbohydrate) diets were first recommended for people with epilepsy to help reduce frequency of seizures and it is also excellent for very sedentary people or people who cannot exercise for other health reasons.