Macular Oedema

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Eddy Edson glad to hear your check up went well, I was due on the 14th April for my 6 monthly but that doesn't really seem likely to go ahead, was starting to get anxious about it as it was as I always do so the fact I'll probably be waiting far longer is going to be difficult for me xx

It's hard not to get anxious about eyes, isn't it? Hope your test does go ahead!

It's hard not to get anxious about eyes, isn't it? Hope your test does go ahead!
Especially after over 3 years of these regular check ups! Thanks but I don't hold out much hope, not sure how England have been going about it but Scotland have had a slightly different approach to things, non emergency surgeries were cancelled last week, most of our universities aren't doing face to face teaching as of today which I believe England haven't adopted yet so uncertain xx

So 3 month follow-up today and everything looks just fine. Back to annual checks. Phew!

The eye clinic has moved digs into a brand spanking new hospital. This means there are now 3 excellent hospitals with 10 min walking distance (plus a fourth if I ever want a nose-job). Comforting at this time, even if the local plan is for Coronavirus cases to be concentrated at the big central hospital, a full 30 min walk away.

Chatting with the eye guy: Oz has a fantastic medical system, we're well ahead of the curve blah blah blah. But yeah, doubling rate now is the same as everywhere else, we're not doing nearly enough testing, there won't be enough ventilators & ICU beds for everybody, probably back to situation from 20 years ago when you just didn't tube 70 year olds ...

Meanwhile the cafes and restaurants are full and the old folks in my building are still swanning off in groups to their weekly pub get togethers ... I feel like reciting The Wasteland from my balcony like wossisname in Brideshead Revisited but the residents' committe would probably throw a net over me.
I think as a social experiment and in the spirit of community you should read The Wasteland and then report back
What could possibly go wrong...

So 3 month follow-up today and everything looks just fine. Back to annual checks. Phew!

Ah that’s great news Eddy! Really pleased for you.

Good news Eddy one more worry out the way.

Especially after over 3 years of these regular check ups! Thanks but I don't hold out much hope, not sure how England have been going about it but Scotland have had a slightly different approach to things, non emergency surgeries were cancelled last week, most of our universities aren't doing face to face teaching as of today which I believe England haven't adopted yet so uncertain xx
I have seen a number of Doctors reporting on Twitter that clinics being cancelled or being conducted over the phone, some still physical but it appears to be piecemeal.

No idea around here, last week everything was going on as normal but haven't personally had any news from anyone who has had an appointment this week.

So two years later the ophthalmalogist today reckons I'm back to "non clinically significant very early diabetic macular oedema" in my left eye, despite once again BG, BP and lipids all being pretty much unchanged over this period. I think it really is a case of having lots of microaneurysms as a legacy of prolonged diabetes from before getting diagnosed, and every now and then one of them starts to leak a bit, evidently at random.

In the meantime I have become more philosophical & have adopted the mantra of that great paragon of neo-Stoicism, Doris Day ... que sera, sera. Review in 3 months.

In addition to stoicism he he's recommending fenofibrates. As a treatment for retinopathy fenofibrates appear to be an Oz specialty & I'm not sure if they're approved/used for this anywhere else - anybody had any experience?

There are studies suggesting a 30% reduction in retinopathy progression but these studies don't seem to show any macular oedema benefit, so I'm not sure what the deal is ....

EDIT: One of the issues with the two studies underpinning the Oz approval is that retinopathy progression was not a primary endpoint - which weakens the conclusions. There seem to be a number of trials now underway seeking to rectify that, including one in Scotland which finished recruiting mid last year: https://www.ctsu.ox.ac.uk/lens

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back