Macular Oedema

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Eye check this morning & a change since last check back in November when everything was pretty much OK & there was no progression of my mild non-proliferative background retinopathy.

Now getting close to needing anti-VEGF injections or whatever for macular oedema in left eye :( Back on to a 3 monthly schedule for checks.

Damn. Nothing to be done about it except to keep BG and BP under control, though I might also try sacrificing my niece or something if things continue to degenerate.

I've had this for nearly 6 years now @eddy :( Do you know what the reading was? My latest was 348 (not sure what the units are), which was down from last time, and that was down from the previous time. Every time I have been it has stayed just below the 400 at which they will do the injections. So, it can stabilise, and even improve, although there's little you can do beyond keeping BG, BP and cholesterol in check which I know you do anyway. I have a definite distortion in the Amsler grid, although my right eye compensates and I don't really notice it in practice, but it does affect my reading of the eyesight chart.

I used to be really concerned about the injections, but have now become resigned to the idea and it's less scary for me after hearing the experiences of others, and also after having an iridotomy last year, which is where they burn a hole in your eye 😱 That was fine so I'm sure the injections will be too, should I ever need them 🙂

I hope yours stabilises or improves by your next visit 🙂

I've had this for nearly 6 years now @eddy :( Do you know what the reading was? My latest was 348 (not sure what the units are), which was down from last time, and that was down from the previous time. Every time I have been it has stayed just below the 400 at which they will do the injections. So, it can stabilise, and even improve, although there's little you can do beyond keeping BG, BP and cholesterol in check which I know you do anyway. I have a definite distortion in the Amsler grid, although my right eye compensates and I don't really notice it in practice, but it does affect my reading of the eyesight chart.

I used to be really concerned about the injections, but have now become resigned to the idea and it's less scary for me after hearing the experiences of others, and also after having an iridotomy last year, which is where they burn a hole in your eye 😱 That was fine so I'm sure the injections will be too, should I ever need them 🙂

I hope yours stabilises or improves by your next visit 🙂
Thanks very much for the comforting words! The ophtha-guy didn’t give me a thickness & I was too clueless to ask, but he did say the thing was very close to the retina.

Then he started talking about the machine learning diagnostic system a prof buddy of his developed, and we got sidetracked.

Apart from what seemed to me like pro forma comments re it possibly healing by itself. But nothing more to do than wait & see ...

Iridotomy sounds scary!

Had numerous injections in both eyes for it, they really aren't bad at all and do work wonders
xx

Eddy I've had the iridotomy in both eyes, but don't worry it's for glaucoma, not macula odema.

Had numerous injections in both eyes for it, they really aren't bad at all and do work wonders
xx

Thanks @Kaylz - I'm sure you're right!

If I need to do have it done I might try a different practice - the chin rest of the OCT scanner at this place had what looked like dried blood on it ... Also, the ophthalmologist wears a really bad wig 🙂

Thanks @Kaylz - I'm sure you're right!

If I need to do have it done I might try a different practice - the chin rest of the OCT scanner at this place had what looked like dried blood on it ... Also, the ophthalmologist wears a really bad wig 🙂
Ewww that's slightly worrying!

Although if you do need an injection it shouldn't be done on a chin rest anyway, generally just put in a chair with foot rest that can recline back, it' actually quite comfy and after they've cleaned, pinned open and applied more anaesthetic and marked where the injection is going the actual procedure takes about 1 minute at the most xx

Ewww that's slightly worrying!

Although if you do need an injection it shouldn't be done on a chin rest anyway, generally just put in a chair with foot rest that can recline back, it' actually quite comfy and after they've cleaned, pinned open and applied more anaesthetic and marked where the injection is going the actual procedure takes about 1 minute at the most xx
Thanks for that - great to know what to expect!

Eye check this morning & a change since last check back in November when everything was pretty much OK & there was no progression of my mild non-proliferative background retinopathy.

Now getting close to needing anti-VEGF injections or whatever for macular oedema in left eye :( Back on to a 3 monthly schedule for checks.

Damn. Nothing to be done about it except to keep BG and BP under control, though I might also try sacrificing my niece or something if things continue to degenerate.
Sorry to read your posting.I am sure you will manage to keep BG and BP under control.The sacrificing of the neice might be an idea.Just wondered are the gods fussy? I can give you my **** boss if it helps

Thanks! I’ll let you know. Sacrificing niece could be an issue for my brother unless she’s been particularly tiresome recently.

Thanks! I’ll let you know. Sacrificing niece could be an issue for my brother unless she’s been particularly tiresome recently.
Ok. Will keep the offer open, wouldn't want to cause any problems.

Macular oedema check just now - it's looking a bit better and no need yet for anti-VEGF eyeball injections. Phew! Hopefully I'm on a @Northerner kind of trajectory. 261 microns vs 300 microns last ime.

Also, the ophthalmologist either has a new toupe or has given the old one a Christmas buff. So who says things never get better?

My learning from this: worrying can help! (j/k)

Glad to hear your better news Eddy. This is a true fear of mine as I have a phobia of eyes, though Kaylz makes it sound not so bad. I wish you well and hope your eyes continue to remain stable so you won’t need any injections x

Glad to hear your better news Eddy. This is a true fear of mine as I have a phobia of eyes, though Kaylz makes it sound not so bad. I wish you well and hope your eyes continue to remain stable so you won’t need any injections x
Thanks Sue! I share the eye phobia so it is a big relief. But I apparently have a bunch of microaneurisms just waiting to turn evil if I let BP, BG get out of control so no room for complacency!

Glad to hear about the improvements Eddy!

Macular oedema check just now - it's looking a bit better and no need yet for anti-VEGF eyeball injections. Phew! Hopefully I'm on a @Northerner kind of trajectory. 261 microns vs 300 microns last ime.

Also, the ophthalmologist either has a new toupe or has given the old one a Christmas buff. So who says things never get better?

My learning from this: worrying can help! (j/k)
Glad to read your post. All the best for 2020.

So 3 month follow-up today and everything looks just fine. Back to annual checks. Phew!

The eye clinic has moved digs into a brand spanking new hospital. This means there are now 3 excellent hospitals with 10 min walking distance (plus a fourth if I ever want a nose-job). Comforting at this time, even if the local plan is for Coronavirus cases to be concentrated at the big central hospital, a full 30 min walk away.

Chatting with the eye guy: Oz has a fantastic medical system, we're well ahead of the curve blah blah blah. But yeah, doubling rate now is the same as everywhere else, we're not doing nearly enough testing, there won't be enough ventilators & ICU beds for everybody, probably back to situation from 20 years ago when you just didn't tube 70 year olds ...

Meanwhile the cafes and restaurants are full and the old folks in my building are still swanning off in groups to their weekly pub get togethers ... I feel like reciting The Wasteland from my balcony like wossisname in Brideshead Revisited but the residents' committe would probably throw a net over me.

@Eddy Edson glad to hear your check up went well, I was due on the 14th April for my 6 monthly but that doesn't really seem likely to go ahead, was starting to get anxious about it as it was as I always do so the fact I'll probably be waiting far longer is going to be difficult for me xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back