Lyumjev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Giving it a go instead of noarapid, was told by my DN inject then eat straight away as it takes minutes to be working, do you need to take into account that some of the food I might be eating is going to take longer to break down as such, she gave me a leaflet but all its really saying is inject then eat, any advice appreciated.

Usual things to take into consideration how much fat is in the meal that will slow the release of the glucose. It takes 2 minutes to become active. Its the usual thing of trial and error. I used to be on it then became sensitive to its active ingredient so had to ditch it after about 18months.

I started using Lyumjev by injecting right before eating a predictable meal (bread and cheese for breakfast), then saw how my graph looked. I gradually added 5 minutes to the prebolus time until the graph was where I wanted it.

For me, for breakfast with Humalog or NovoRapid, I needed a 45 minute prebolus. With Lyumjev, I think I needed about 25 minutes. It wasn't instantaneous for me, but it was certainly faster.

I'm on a pump now (with NovoRapid) and I still use Lyumjev for corrections or when I just want to eat something sweet now without waiting for a NovoRapid prebolus to sink in.

I also have been using MDI/Lyumjev alongside my pump/NovoRapid prebolus for dinner to take advantage of Lyumjev's shorter tail. I was getting stung at the 5 hour mark (bedtime) when using only NovoRapid. Splitting dinner between NovoRapid and Lyumjev works well for me.

Lyumjev definitely has its pros once you figure out how it works for you.

Been reading some reviews,
Comments etc on lyumjev and not overly impressed and I haven't started using it yet, severe low readings a few hours after injecting it and stinging sensations, at the moment my carb ratio is 1 unit for 10 grams would I be better off doing 1 to 20 to start with and stocking up on JBs , now I know why my DN said to give her a ring in a weeks time. Thanks

The ratio should not change ... just the timing.
I have been using FIasp for some time now which is another ultra fast insulin.
The one thing which I noticed was that the speed it works is very dependent on my starting BG. I think the same is true for Lyumjev. It works much faster when my BG is lower and slower when it is higher.
When starting a new insulin, it requires a bit if trial and learning so please take this into consideration when considering your timings.

The ratio doesnt change. You need to change your bolus timing and you dbn can give you a guidline. You need to keep in mind that it starts 2 minutes from injecting. Thr sting should be minor and its not every time. It was brilliant for me while i needed it. I dont need it now so im off it.

Comments etc on lyumjev and not overly impressed and I haven't started using it yet, severe low readings a few hours after injecting it and stinging sensations, at the moment my carb ratio is 1 unit for 10 grams would I be better off doing 1 to 20 to start with and stocking up on JBs , now I know why my DN said to give her a ring in a weeks time. Thanks

Did you actually request it @Charl or were you persuaded to try it? If it’s the latter, never be pushed off an insulin onto another unless you want to.

I was asked if I wanted to give it a try, been taking rapid different times but struggling to get the spike to come down, sometimes injecting up to an hour before eating but not making much difference. Thanks

Crikey that s a long time. I was injecting about 40 minutes before if i remeber rigthly, got it down to 7 minutes with the lyumjev.

I inject 45 mins before breakfast with Fiasp unless I am in the 4s and then it is just 20-30 mins. Other meals I mostly need 10-20mins. With Novo(not so)Rapid I needed 75 mins most mornings to avoid spikes, hence my switch to Fiasp. We are all different and there is a wide range of what is normal. My experience makes me somewhat skeptical of manufacturer's claims about not needing to prebolus with the supposedly "ultraquick" insulins, like Fiasp and Lyumjev. I certainly still do need to prebolus, but not as long as with NR.

I was asked if I wanted to give it a try, been taking rapid different times but struggling to get the spike to come down, sometimes injecting up to an hour before eating but not making much difference. Thanks

That is a long time @Charl Are you using your tummy to inject your bolus? Are you sure your ratios were correct, along with your basal?

If my levels are in double figures I can be waiting 2 hours for Fiasp to bring me down and about the same with NR so to me Charl's prebolus timing doesn't seem that long. As @helli says, it depends to a certain extent on the prebolus level. If levels are high it will need longer. If levels are low then less time.

I agree re corrections @rebrascora I did a correction this afternoon and it was around two hours before my blood sugar began to fall noticeably. I assumed the OP meant with a normal blood sugar, but I don’t know. When I say my bolus times, I always give my times with a normal blood sugar because if I was, say, 11 then I’d look on that as a correction, if that makes sense?

I always give my times with a normal blood sugar because if I was, say, 11 then I’d look on that as a correction, if that makes sense?

Yes, but I don't think everyone would necessarily see it that way, particularly if they haven't noticed that higher BG levels need a longer wait than "in range" BG levels. With a BG of 8-10, I need about an hour, even with Fiasp. I sometimes inject and go back to sleep if I wake up with high levels because it is much less frustrating than sitting looking at my breakfast and waiting for my levels to come down, before I eat it.

I sometimes inject and go back to sleep if I wake up with high levels because it is much less frustrating than sitting looking at my breakfast and waiting for my levels to come down, before I eat it.
I assume you have flexibility on the time you get up.
Not sure my boss (or customers) would appreciate “I’m late because it was easier to go back to sleep than sit looking at my breakfast.” 😛

I assume you have flexibility on the time you get up.
Not sure my boss (or customers) would appreciate “I’m late because it was easier to go back to sleep than sit looking at my breakfast.” 😛

Absolutely.... It is the luxury of being retired.

As others experienced, I didn't find a need to change my ratios, just the prebolus timing.

I didn't have issues with stinging, but my endo warned me it was a reported symptom. Stinging doesn't affect the effectiveness of the insulin, as far as I know.

I was also nervous about starting Lyumjev and first tried it on a day when I knew I would be home, in a controlled situation all day in case things went pear-shaped. It was all fine and I realised I had nothing to worry about.

Hi all,

I was changed to Lyumjev from NovoRapid some time ago and it sounded a great idea to start with but in practice finding it unpredictable to be honest, often it can be all or nothing, doesn’t last as long Novorapid so evening meal will always require additional injection, often several! certainly wary of too much at once as level can drop like a stone.

I think it suits during the daytime while working, active and when only few units here and there might be required, but not so in the evening.

So thinking of going back to NovoRapid, unless they let me have that as well, I’m going to ask but I doubt it!

I tried Fiasp for a while (about 3 months) but it didn’t work well for me and the initial speedy action (where I needed to split doses of ‘normal’ meals to avoid a dip soon after eating) more or less stopped happening at the end of the first vial. It then became a bit erratic and stingy as @Kol describes.

I switched back to NotveryRapid after 3 vials, which is annoyingly sluggish, but at least predictably so!

Hope you get on well with it if you give it a go @Charl

Fiasp and Ljumjev work brilliantly for several members here.

Haven't started it yet , hopefully pick it up this afternoon, regarding dropping like a stone would I be ok eating then injecting after or is it a case of trial and error. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back