Lunch causing the largest spike

Eastynh

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I am a little miffed. Lunch seems to be the smallest meal of my day. Yet I seem to consistently have the biggest spike after lunch, regardless of the meal. Today I had two caramised onion flatbreads (8g of carbs each) a slice of Cathedral City, Cheddar cheese and a piece of turkey breast. Yet even after a half hour walk, it was still a larger spike than after I had my tea, which was a significantly larger meal.
Even if I just have an apple for my lunch, it will cause a larger spike than other meals.
Now the spikes are nothing to be worried about. I just wondered if anyone else has the same anomaly.

Last edited:
8g of carbs each sounds very low for the flat breads , can you tell me what brand they are ?

8g of carbs each sounds very low for the flat breads , can you tell me what brand they are ?
Sounded high to me, the ryvita sea salt and rosemary flatbreads are only 5g each, or cheese ones 4g. Maybe the caremalised onion ones have more carbs.

Well caramelisation of anything involves heating the sugars within it sufficiently but not too much that the whatever burns but so that it gradually turns a beautifully uniform golden brown - in the case of toffee and actual caramel, you simply start off with sugar itself, but anyway caramelising onion always makes it taste SWEET. Blooming lovely!

I find that if I eat a very low carb meal (< 10g ) my body will process the protein. That is another lot of info to keep in my head so I eat meals bigger than that. I wonder if that is involved here?
I looked up the nairns flatbreads. Sound nice and I shall give them a try.

Another thought is that since it doesn’t seem to matter what it is you eat there is the same problem, that it is your basal insulin at that time that is the issue. Not sure what your basal is and/ or whether you are using a pump, but could you do a basal test. If this is the issue a pump allows you to alter your basal rate hour by hour and that might help

I find that if I eat a very low carb meal (< 10g ) my body will process the protein. That is another lot of info to keep in my head so I eat meals bigger than that. I wonder if that is involved here?
I looked up the nairns flatbreads. Sound nice and I shall give them a try.

Another thought is that since it doesn’t seem to matter what it is you eat there is the same problem, that it is your basal insulin at that time that is the issue. Not sure what your basal is and/ or whether you are using a pump, but could you do a basal test. If this is the issue a pump allows you to alter your basal rate hour by hour and that might help
Hi, thank you for your reply.

I am not on any medication whatsoever. My whole situation is rather strange. I was told I had prediabetes, around 7 years ago. That's without exhibiting any of the characteristics of type 2. 14 months ago I was told that I had diabetes, as I had a HBA1C of 68. I was then left to my own devices. Again, I was not showing any of the markers associated with type 2. this year my HBA1C was 101 and suddenly, my medical team started realising something was not right (I also have Crohns). They performed antibody tests and I came back positive for ZNT8 and IA2. Now nobody seems to have a clue what is going on with me, as I do not fit the profile for either type 1 or 2. I have managed to bring my HBA1C down to 63, within 6 weeks and the Libre sensor suggests my estimated A1C is 43, after 56 days (I expect to bring this down further).
I am not on any medication. I have done nothing but be sensible.
The worrying thing is that I spent most of last night with an average of around 3.5mmol/l. That was between 9pm and 5am. I was a mess when I woke this morning.
I have absolutely no idea what is currently going on.
The islet antibody tests were repeated 2 weeks ago and I am waiting on them before any next steps are taken.

The worrying thing is that I spent most of last night with an average of around 3.5mmol/l. That was between 9pm and 5am.
- Meters are not 100% accurate. THey only need to be within 15% of the "true" BG. SO a 3.5 may not be that low. If this was from a CGM, they are known to be less accurate at low and high readings
- If this was from a CGM while you were sleeping, this may be caused by a compression low - a false low reading because applying pressure to the sensor (e.g. when lying on it in your sleep) will stop the flow of interstitial fluid to the filament causing it to report a false reading.
- If you are not taking any medication, a hypo is considered to be a reading below 3.5.

- Meters are not 100% accurate. THey only need to be within 15% of the "true" BG. SO a 3.5 may not be that low. If this was from a CGM, they are known to be less accurate at low and high readings
- If this was from a CGM while you were sleeping, this may be caused by a compression low - a false low reading because applying pressure to the sensor (e.g. when lying on it in your sleep) will stop the flow of interstitial fluid to the filament causing it to report a false reading.
- If you are not taking any medication, a hypo is considered to be a reading below 3.5.
Thank you for your reply, Helli.
Here are the screen prints for the last day or so on the Libre sensor. Plus the average over the last 7 days.
I sleep on my side and the cgm is on the arm which is elevated.
None of it makes any sense really.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240806_081423.jpg
    Screenshot_20240806_081423.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240806_081408.jpg
    Screenshot_20240806_081408.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240806_081402.jpg
    Screenshot_20240806_081402.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 10
Here are the screen prints for the last day or so on the Libre sensor. Plus the average over the last 7 days.
Your sensor may be misreading.
Are these readings checked against a finger prick?

Do you feel any different when the sensor reports a spike or a low?

Did you double check the sensor lows with a finger prick. Libre generally reads about 1 mmol lower than blood for me at low levels.
Did you treat any of the lows by eating anything ie having a hypo treatment?
When you say you woke up in a mess, what do you mean? Ie Worried about the lows, sweaty and feeling unwell which could be due to the hot humid weather as much as an actual hypo or shattered because your low alarm had been going off all night?
It is not unusual for non diabetic people to drop into the high 3s during the depths of the night, so I would not be overly concerned when you are not on any medication unless you double checked with finger pricks and took hypo treatments and still kept dropping.

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I am not on any medication whatsoever. My whole situation is rather strange. I was told I had prediabetes, around 7 years ago. That's without exhibiting any of the characteristics of type 2. 14 months ago I was told that I had diabetes, as I had a HBA1C of 68. I was then left to my own devices. Again, I was not showing any of the markers associated with type 2. this year my HBA1C was 101 and suddenly, my medical team started realising something was not right (I also have Crohns). They performed antibody tests and I came back positive for ZNT8 and IA2. Now nobody seems to have a clue what is going on with me, as I do not fit the profile for either type 1 or 2. I have managed to bring my HBA1C down to 63, within 6 weeks and the Libre sensor suggests my estimated A1C is 43, after 56 days (I expect to bring this down further).
I am not on any medication. I have done nothing but be sensible.
The worrying thing is that I spent most of last night with an average of around 3.5mmol/l. That was between 9pm and 5am. I was a mess when I woke this morning.
I have absolutely no idea what is currently going on.
The islet antibody tests were repeated 2 weeks ago and I am waiting on them before any next steps are taken.
Thanks for the additional info @Eastynh
No wonder you and your team are confused .

Your sensor may be misreading.
Are these readings checked against a finger prick?

Do you feel any different when the sensor reports a spike or a low?
The finger prick was consistent with the CGM.

I felt drunk when I woke up this morning and was dripping in sweat.

Did you double check the sensor lows with a finger prick. Libre generally reads about 1 mmol lower than blood for me at low levels.
Did you treat any of the lows by eating anything ie having a hypo treatment?
When you say you woke up in a mess, what do you mean? Ie Worried about the lows, sweaty and feeling unwell which could be due to the hot humid weather as much as an actual hypo or shattered because your low alarm had been going off all night?
It is not unusual for non diabetic people to drop into the high 3s during the depths of the night, so I would not be overly concerned when you are not on any medication unless you double checked with finger pricks and took hypo treatments and still kept dropping.
I did not have any hypo treatments, Barbara.

I go up
n down all over the place all the time. I think Leadinglights once told me sorry if im wrong but someone did . As long as not too high or too low . Look at the results over the day / week rather than getting anxious over one time in the day. Somethings worry me but I am not in danger zone so now i just try and improve . I am on no medication and have better results than when I was on it. That in itself tells me my body does what it likes .

I go up
n down all over the place all the time. I think Leadinglights once told me sorry if im wrong but someone did . As long as not too high or too low . Look at the results over the day / week rather than getting anxious over one time in the day. Somethings worry me but I am not in danger zone so now i just try and improve . I am on no medication and have better results than when I was on it. That in itself tells me my body does what it likes .
Good advice Nayshiftin. My worry is not knowing what type I am, so no one knows the best way to tackle it.
Once the picture becomes clearer, I will be able to deal with it.

Good advice Nayshiftin. My worry is not knowing what type I am, so no one knows the best way to tackle it.
Once the picture becomes clearer, I will be able to deal with it.
I hope you find out soon

Sounded high to me, the ryvita sea salt and rosemary flatbreads are only 5g each, or cheese ones 4g. Maybe the caremalised onion ones have more carbs.
Yes but they taste like cardboard

Back