Lumps at Infusion Sites

Not really a case of being brave if honest, after 42 years sites have got kinda bit worn out so always looking for new ones where absorption is excellent.

Sometimes place pods on my chest, surprisingly comfortable & not in way of things either, being male it doesn't bother me.
I know the body of one person with diabetes better than any other and that is my body so I probably base all my assumptions on my body.
I have read of other people using their chest for their pump and CGM. Apart from the obvious bits, which I would not use, the rest of my chest has very little fat on it so I don't think I could use it for diabetes paraphernalia. I never thought of my chest as especially skinny/toned.
Is it usual to have enough fat on your chest?

I know the body of one person with diabetes better than any other and that is my body so I probably base all my assumptions on my body.
I have read of other people using their chest for their pump and CGM. Apart from the obvious bits, which I would not use, the rest of my chest has very little fat on it so I don't think I could use it for diabetes paraphernalia. I never thought of my chest as especially skinny/toned.
Is it usual to have enough fat on your chest?
Yeah I met someone T1 who uses her libre on her boob. Seems beyond sense to me, but each to their own.
Again I wouldn't us on my chest, and actually my stomach and back sites lack flesh, so not ideal either.

Still getting red lumps and high levels after a day or so on each pump which is heartbreaking to be honest. Allergic reaction to the cannula is our best guess. Someone mentioned some antihistamine spray before application? But surely that can’t do her skin any favours long term? No idea where we go next!

Still getting red lumps and high levels after a day or so on each pump which is heartbreaking to be honest. Allergic reaction to the cannula is our best guess. Someone mentioned some antihistamine spray before application? But surely that can’t do her skin any favours long term? No idea where we go next!
It is so heartbreaking. My skin was awful with eczema and allergies as a child I know the pump then would have been completely impossible for me.
I grew out of it and then a few years later got diabetes at least it wasn’t both things at the same time.
Did her team offer any alternatives?
I believe antihistamines are generally very safe to take, would take a lot of them as an adult to have to many. It must be worth a try.

It is so heartbreaking. My skin was awful with eczema and allergies as a child I know the pump then would have been completely impossible for me.
I grew out of it and then a few years later got diabetes at least it wasn’t both things at the same time.
Did her team offer any alternatives?
I believe antihistamines are generally very safe to take, would take a lot of them as an adult to have to many. It must be worth a try.
The team said they’ve never heard of anything like it which was double handy! Someone noticed Jo’s pump when we were in the pharmacy and mentioned she used to get terrible issues and reactions until she started spraying some antihistamine on first. I’m assuming it’s steroid based so probably going to cause issues. The only input the team gave us was “don’t do that”. Will give it a go

The team said they’ve never heard of anything like it which was double handy! Someone noticed Jo’s pump when we were in the pharmacy and mentioned she used to get terrible issues and reactions until she started spraying some antihistamine on first. I’m assuming it’s steroid based so probably going to cause issues. The only input the team gave us was “don’t do that”. Will give it a go
I do really feel for you all. Wish I knew what else to suggest. Is another type of pump an option?

I do really feel for you all. Wish I knew what else to suggest. Is another type of pump an option?
They want to try her on a T-Slim but I really don’t like the sound of that for some reason. Seems a bit clumsy for a kid with the tubes. But I suppose that’s secondary to the results really. Do you think it’s worth putting an Omnipod on her with no insulin in? At least then we can work out if it’s the insulin or cannula causing an issue.

What insulin are you using @Coopj ?

I had sorer/ lumpier sites with Fiasp. NR seems to suit my body better.

They want to try her on a T-Slim but I really don’t like the sound of that for some reason. Seems a bit clumsy for a kid with the tubes. But I suppose that’s secondary to the results really. Do you think it’s worth putting an Omnipod on her with no insulin in? At least then we can work out if it’s the insulin or cannula causing an issue.

That’s a great idea, trying an Omnipod without insulin. I know two young children with Type 1 and one of those has the T Slim. They wear it (the pump) in a little bag/pack on their back and have had no problems at all. They run, jump, roll around with no issues.

Yes I think this is great idea.

Also could you give her insulin via needle for a meal and see if that lumps?

I think if it carries on you may have no choice and before patch pumps many kids were and actually still are on wired pumps. I believe they can still have a very active life and they can be taken off for periods of time, so if she’s at a play centre where you would normally pause her insulin And give her glucose you could just take it off.

Tubed pumps are great IMO 🙂 I’ve made no secret of my preference here @Tom1982 and they’re certainly not a problem for children. The other child I mentioned above also has a tubed pump (the Dana i like I have). They are very active and sporty. The beauty of tubed pumps is that you have a choice of cannulas and a detach them in seconds. Better stop there🙂

I am another advocate for tubed pumps, but then I have not used a patch pump.

I find the flexibility of putting my cannulas anywhere and then being able to move the pump around as I wish suits me. It is also great to be able to disconnect very easily on occasions. It is also possible to just move the cannula, with the same tubing if a site is getting a bit sore.

The tubing is tucked away out of sight and there are different lengths available. I like having a choice of cannula too.

Back