Lows without any reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you had a recent coeliac screen? If not, see if you can get one done. There are a few other things they can test for and rule out hopefully. Then, knowing everything is ok, it’s less worrying and you can just reduce your Lantus if needed.
We're just gonna get in contact with my DSN tomorrow and see what can be done. It's been very difficult to keep track with it going up and down all the time. I've attached how it's been today just for reference

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240130_194905.jpg
    Screenshot_20240130_194905.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 14
I have come to love it when I need less insulin, rather than worry something is wrong. If I can get away with one or two less injections a day, what's not to love, especially if I also get to eat the odd JB or dried fig to top me up when I am dropping.

Some people get a spell after diagnosis where after starting on insulin for a while, they gradually have to dial it back down and don't need any insulin at all for a while and then they do again. We have one member whose basal needs started to drop to the point that it wasn't worth injecting the tiny dose anymore and he has now not needed basal insulin for several years.... might be as much as a decade, just bolus insulin. At the other end of the spectrum who is suffering very badly with insulin resistance despite being a healthy BMI and she needs to take massive doses. There is no normal with diabetes, just a very broad variety of how we experience it and just when we think we know what we are doing, it changes again. Let us know how you get on with a further reduction in basal. Perhaps you will be another lucky one who can get away without any, at least for a while.
I'm definitely not complaining about the fact I can get away with not injecting, it's just a pain for my levels to drop without any indication why

We're just gonna get in contact with my DSN tomorrow and see what can be done. It's been very difficult to keep track with it going up and down all the time. I've attached how it's been today just for reference
I sometimes have a day or two like that and usually reducing basal sorts it. It can be because I have had some physically very active days or the weather is warmer or one or two other factors I have identified. I appreciate that isn't the case for you and this is prolonged for a couple of weeks but I am reasonably confident another basal reduction will sort or at least improve it, but don't rule out another reduction after that if gets a bit better but still persists.
It may be that the basal reduction throws up a problem elsewhere in the day, like at breakfast time with levels going higher than you might like, but then you can always use a bit more bolus insulin to tackle that, if that problem arises or change to a twice daily insulin like Levemir. Getting your basal dose as close to keeping you level throughout the day and most importantly night, is key to managing diabetes well and sometimes it just needs a bit tweak here and there. I usually know if I am feeling frustrated and having to battle my levels for a few days and that is the trigger for me to look at adjusting my basal doses.

I sometimes have a day or two like that and usually reducing basal sorts it. It can be because I have had some physically very active days or the weather is warmer or one or two other factors I have identified. I appreciate that isn't the case for you and this is prolonged for a couple of weeks but I am reasonably confident another basal reduction will sort or at least improve it, but don't rule out another reduction after that if gets a bit better but still persists.
It may be that the basal reduction throws up a problem elsewhere in the day, like at breakfast time with levels going higher than you might like, but then you can always use a bit more bolus insulin to tackle that, if that problem arises or change to a twice daily insulin like Levemir. Getting your basal dose as close to keeping you level throughout the day and most importantly night, is key to managing diabetes well and sometimes it just needs a bit tweak here and there. I usually know if I am feeling frustrated and having to battle my levels for a few days and that is the trigger for me to look at adjusting my basal doses.
If I decrease my basal again, I'll be on 4u. That's what makes me worried, I'm hardly on any already.

If I decrease my basal again, I'll be on 4u. That's what makes me worried, I'm hardly on any already.

Could your bolus ratio(s) need altering too? Mine change a few times through the year. For example, is that drop at 2pm the aftermath of your lunch bolus?

Could your bolus ratio(s) need altering too? Mine change a few times through the year. For example, is that drop at 2pm the aftermath of your lunch bolus?
It could be, however it corrected itself and I didn't even notice the hypo until later. The drop in the evening could probably be the insulin partnered with the fact that I had football so I was exercising too

So, tried a new Lantus dose last night and also skipped an injection for my lunch this afternoon. might not have been a wise idea, but overall since my levels have been pretty flattened out, I've even been high for a while which relieved me in a way. Hopefully now I've managed to sort it and I appreciate the advice

Mate - one can never control blood glucose and you really are wasting your time to think you can. So - just manage it the best you can. And you're currently simply getting a hard lesson on the treacle juggling knack we all have to learn to do for the rest of our lives. Sorry to sound a bit harsh however, I'd rather be as truthful as I can. The worst thing for causing graphs like that for me, was work stress, resulting in panic attacks - so I just wonder if you have impending important exams or anything else going on otherwise than that?

We have at least one member on just 2 units of basal and as I said before one member who has needed no basal insulin for several years and just needs bolus insulin. You need as much or as little as you need.

We have at least one member on just 2 units of basal and as I said before one member who has needed no basal insulin for several years and just needs bolus insulin. You need as much or as little as you need.
I’m on 2.5 morning and evening currently but can get down to as little as half a unit. It took me ages to work out my basal, when I started I was on 9 units. Now I’m on low doses of basal and bolus ratios. And I’m just learning and driving everyone potty here just how changeable diabetes can be from day to day.

All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back