Lowering HBA1C too quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point Grovesy. It can be a struggle getting enough test strips when using the Libre. I think my CCG suggests 50 test strips a month if you have the Libre. I’d assumed that Leon meant that T1’s couldn’t get Libre or BG testing but from your post I now realise that I might have been wrong.
I thought that at first, but on second glance I thought he may have meant Type2 but written as Type11.
What I read yesterday got me thinking.

Grovesy I also wondered whether Leon meant Type 2 and not Type 1 but then noticed that he is Type 1 as well so assumed that was what he meant.

"Is it better to lower it gradually and not dramatically?"

I think gradually is the best way leonS. I'm T2 and reduced my HbA1c from 53mmol at dx to 31mmol over a period of 16 months ~ I followed a low carb diet & exercise regime to achieve this.
*I have regular diabetes eye screening and given the all clear every time. Touch wood it stays like that.

But best I leave it to other T1 members to advise you. Good luck.
WL
Edited*

I was diagnosed with Hba1c of 121 10 weeks ago. I threw myself into a low carb diet and exercise along with metformin and glicizide. Today my result was 59. I have had peripheral neuropathy for 8 weeks now. Hands feet and calves are affected.
Looking at this thread might I have come down too rapidly after probably being hyperglycaemic for years prior to diagnosis. I had thought that I was menopausal, which I am as well.

I was diagnosed with Hba1c of 121 10 weeks ago. I threw myself into a low carb diet and exercise along with metformin and glicizide. Today my result was 59. I have had peripheral neuropathy for 8 weeks now. Hands feet and calves are affected.
Looking at this thread might I have come down too rapidly after probably being hyperglycaemic for years prior to diagnosis. I had thought that I was menopausal, which I am as well.
I had issues with my eyes which only in hindsight (no pun intended) was probably due to reducing carbs too quickly but I was unaware that it might have been a problem, I was just doing it by diet alone as I was terrified of having to take metformin so cut carbs to 70g per day all in one go.

Wow, I had no idea this would be a problem either, I went from 97 to 33 in my first three months, my eyes did go a bit funny for a while, long distance reading became much clearer, but then everything settled down. My eye checks have never shown any issues.

I went from 83 to 36 in three months. My eyesight improved after three weeks of low carb as well.

I found my far vision was fine but near vision was atrocious.
It is because the shape of the eye changes as the environment changes from being sugary when you have high glucose levels back to the normal salty environment so the focal length changes. As it has often happened slowly when levels rise you don't notice so much but do when it goes back to normal too quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back