Low carb breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildone

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Please can anyone help?

I am T2, been on 1 dose of insulin per day. The consultant said I should have a max of 80g carbs per day.

I find just about everything I can have for breakfast contains too many carbs and my sugar levels go high.

Any suggestions what I can eat for breakfast please?

Martin

I have Greek yogurt, peanut butter and berries (Or sometimes no butter and some lemon juice).
Sometimes I have some eggs.
sometimes I have some avocado with cheese and tomatoes and a dressing made from olive oil.
Sometimes I skip it as I'm not hungry.

I'm not on insulin, though, so your requirements may be different.

Coffee with double cream does it for me.. about 3 large mugs per morning.

The OP is using insulin, so something like that breakfast may not be appropriate.

The low carb stuff I have may not be appropriate, although the peanut butter and berries has more carbs in it that the other suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
1-2 eggs with 1 piece of toast would be 10-20g carb depending which bread you use. An omelette would be only a couple of grams carbs. Depends how many you’re looking to have in your breakfast.

Please can anyone help?

I am T2, been on 1 dose of insulin per day. The consultant said I should have a max of 80g carbs per day.

I find just about everything I can have for breakfast contains too many carbs and my sugar levels go high.

Martin

Have a look at

Last edited by a moderator:
As has been mentioned, it depends on your insulin regime.

This morning I had coffee with cream and several thin slices of Brie with a little cranberry and orange sauce (left over from Christmas) and won't last until next Christmas. Provided me with lovely stable BG levels whilst I doid some quite intensive exercise this morning. Normally my breakfast is as others have mentioned.... Creamy Greek natural yoghurt with a few berries and mixed seeds and cinnamon and maybe a small sprinkle of nutty granola just to give it a bit of extra texture (just about 5-10g granola)
I am on insulin, but I adjust my doses according to the food I eat and my premeal BG level and the amount of exercise I have done or will be doing.

Welcome to the forum @wildone

Looks like you are on a long-acting or intermediate-acting insulin (like Lantus or Humulin I). Do you take your insulin in the morning or evening?

Do you tend to try to split your ‘allowance’ evenly? Or do you aim for a larger evening meal?

For many years I have found a single slice of toast is a good reliable breakfast for me, and a mug of coffee too. I used to have two, but found I was no more hungry with one, and it was easier to just have one at breakfast because of the variable and unpredictable ways my liver loves to release (or not release!) glucose as soon as my feet hit the floor in the mornings.

This makes my breakfast 16-25g of carbs, depending on which sort of bread I have in.

If I want something more substantial I can top it with an egg, not marmalade 🙂

I have 2 eggs scrambled or poached, fried, big tomato microwaved/grilled or fried. When I fry I only use a tiny amount of oil.
I have sometimes precooked mackerel from supermarket heated. With either I have 1/2-1 slice homemade bread toasted. To my bread mix I add a scoop of mixed seeds and mainly brown bread flour.

Please can anyone help?

Martin
Eggs, bacon, tomato is what I alternate with porridge that has scoop mixed seeds, whole milk microwaved. I’m on I tablet if Empagliflozin. I try eat low carb. Must drink more water to help kidneys.
Look at ‘low carb’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back