Low blood sugars and mood swings

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long ago was your son diagnosed?

Could you please tell me where you found the information on the CGM’s - I’ll do some homework as we’re told but the diabetic clinic at our hospital no funding.

To be clear, the Lantus is a basal/background insulin that releases slowly over the course of the day/night, and it’s job is to keep the blood sugar steady in the absence of food.
Humalog is a fast/bolus insulin that works more quickly and lasts a shorter time, and it’s job is to deal with the carbs in meals and the subsequent blood sugar rise.

Here’s the basal test information:

https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

The basal/background insulin (Lantus in his case) is the foundation of control. If that’s not right, it can throw everything off. Getting the basal dose right is the first step (the foundation) and then he can look at his mealtime insulin (Humalog) meal by meal to see if the amount he’s taking is correct.

Can he phone his hospital team again? Mine has a voicemail and they call back.

Now I’m worrying, he was prescribed humalog at night and lantus during the day, sounds like that’s the wrong way round. I’ll check all his hospital letters

Could you please tell me where you found the information on the CGM’s - I’ll do some homework as we’re told but the diabetic clinic at our hospital no funding.
There used to be a funding issue (and still is for some CGMs like Dexcom G6).

Shouldn't be for Libre 2, now. That's standard care, and GPs not willing to prescribe it are providing substandard care.
(For England, that is. Other countries may have their own standards.)

It's worth asking about education. Another of the NICE recommendations is that everyone should be offered education:

Those aren't the right guidelines if he's still a child (or a young person). Having said that, they're pretty similar:

Hi

Just to go right back to basics first, as this thread is a little confusing....

How old is your son?

When was he diagnosed?

Is he Type 1 or Type 2?

Does he take the Humalog before each meal or just once a day and if so which meal?

Sorry for the delayed reply.
He’s 24 was diagnosed in November last year, he takes 10-12 of humalog before every meal

Sorry for the delayed reply.
He’s 24 was diagnosed in November last year, he takes 10-12 of humalog before every meal

Has he been introduced to the idea of keeping track of the carbohydrate content in his meals, and matching the carb content of his meals to the doses he is taking?

It’s a bit more of an art than actual predictable maths, but it can really help to reduce the seeming randomness of diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back