Low blood sugars and mood swings

Status
Not open for further replies.

marina winter

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi everyone,
Can anyone please give me some advice, not having any luck with making contact with my sins diabetic nurses,
My sons experiencing 2/3 hypos per day, continually adjusting his insulin dose but nothings changing. His mood swings are really erratic, he’s so short tempered and generally low, is this linked

Hi @marina winter Yes, mood swings can be linked to hypos. Some people feel down and weepy, some feel jittery and anxious, some feel snappy and wound-up. Of course, it’s also possible that the worry about having so many hypos is affecting his mood, as well as the general stress of coping with diabetes.

When is he having the hypos? Does he have a Libre?

Have you looked at if his basal or correction factor is too high? That is a possible cause

Wyy hasn’t he got a Libre?

The hypos can happen at any time day or night, he doesn’t have a libre so constantly testing his blood. This just isn’t easy

No, it’s definitely not easy - especially when added difficulties pop up. Has he done a basal test? Sometimes, soon after diagnosis the body temporarily regains a little insulin production and this can mean insulin doses need adjusting to allow for this. He might also need to top-up with carby snacks between meals if his own insulin is kicking in.

Hi, what is the basal or correction factor?
How can we get either a libre or Dexcom without having to pay silly money for them monthly?

I can’t see what basal insulin he’s taking in your earlier posts - can you tell us?

Hi, what is the basal or correction factor?
How can we get either a libre or Dexcom without having to pay silly money for them monthly?

Type 1s are entitled to a Libre free on the NHS. He should ask his diabetes team about getting one.

He’s on lantis during the day and humalog at night. Can’t get any support from our doctors and been trying to get hold of the diabetic team at our local hospital for over 2 weeks.

How do we get a Basal test?

It’s just a test he does himself. The purpose of it is to see if his basal/background/slow insulin is at the right dose. You test this by not eating for portions of the day over a period of a few days (so you don’t have to miss all your meals in one day). Let me find a link. There’s one on the forum somewhere….

Basal is the background insulin that is taken one or twice a day. Correction is an injection of fast-acting insulin (boils) that your son will do if his levels go to high

We asked about the libre last time at our appointment, was told he’d get a free 2 week trial then would have to pay.

He’s on lantis during the day and humalog at night. Can’t get any support from our doctors and been trying to get hold of the diabetic team at our local hospital for over 2 weeks.

The other way round - it would be Humalog during the day and Lantus (basal) at night.

Ok, any changes made to the Lantus dose can take up to 3 days to have effect - ie if he changes his dose tonight, he needs to keep it at that dose for two or three days before he reviews whether the adjustment was enough or not.

The NICE guidance which ALL ICBs and clinics have to follow say that libre should be on prescription for all type 1s and some type 2s

I’ll find you the guidelines

I’m confused, would his daytime lantis be the basal? I’ve never been told about that, equally we’ve never been given the correction.

D641CE72-2210-4A2A-B76A-AA878765DDF7.png

Lantus is the basal, yes

Lantus is a long-acting basal insulin, usually taken once a day, either at night or in the morning. Humalog is a fast, bolus/meal insulin taken before food, so a number of times each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back