Lost interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I have no interest in food at all. It's the same with food shopping, I do it online as I hate seeing what I can't have. I've accepted that this is my life now. It doesn't help that I'm lactose/gluten intolerant and dislike hot spicy food but that's life. You could try the Hairy Bikers diet books. Lots of low carb recipes in there. I love the Lasagne made with leeks. If I see anymore Greek yoghurt, berries or eggs I shall scream!!! 🙂
Thank you I will deffo get the hairy bikers book I know it’s just so hard when you see all the delights in the supermarkets that you can’t have just need a bit inspiration again x
Some good suggestion for the Caldesi books but you may also find some of the recipes in this link give you some inspiration https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/, that approach may be suitable depending on what medication you are taking as that may make a difference as to how much carbohydrate you might need to have.
Some people find metformin alters their taste and things taste metallic.
thank you for the link for the low carb I will take a look I’m on metformin and glicazide thank you for your help I was just wanting to know if anyone else felt like this x

Thank you I will deffo get the hairy bikers book I know it’s just so hard when you see all the delights in the supermarkets that you can’t have just need a bit inspiration again x

thank you for the link for the low carb I will take a look I’m on metformin and glicazide thank you for your help I was just wanting to know if anyone else felt like this x
Yes if you are on gliclazide you need to be careful about going too low on carbs as that medication encourages your pancreas to produce more insulin and therefore need some carbs to work properly, just how many is something that will be personal you and you can be guided by your monitor to make sure you stay safe.
None the less there will be some recipes that will be suitable.

Yes if you are on gliclazide you need to be careful about going too low on carbs as that medication encourages your pancreas to produce more insulin and therefore need some carbs to work properly, just how many is something that will be personal you and you can be guided by your monitor to make sure you stay safe.
I will deffo take a look someone else mentioned these books so fingers crossed thank you x

With the Gliclazide you do need some carbs - spread through the day, I have read is the best option, but it should mean that you get a meter and test strips so you can check your levels. I am sorry to learn that you are finding things monotonous.
One thing I did in the early days was to make shopping lists - I had three at first, with a separate set of ingredients each week so that I did not always have the same things in the fridge, and even now I very rarely have both mushrooms and tomatoes.
I use quite a few herbs and spices, so if I make a big casserole or stew in the pressure cooker I can give it different tastes - after I take out a serving and reheat it add a sprinkle of something and leave it covered over whilst I serve up my husband's food.

You have my sympathy. I find grocery shopping to be very depressing as virtually the entire food stock is stuff I avoid due to prediabetes, cholesterol / triglycerides, CKD and needing weight loss (I'll have some of that fresh air ty, it looks yummy 🙄).
As others have said it seems the best bet is in seeking to expand into new foods, and different cooking methods. Both of those should help expand the variety in your meals.
Thank you I agree shopping for food is so depressing appreciate your reply good luck on your journey too xx

Do you vary what you have with your Greek yoghurt? Add spices like cinnamon or ginger. I am currently having stewed rhubarb with my morning yoghurt, but I have it with mixed seeds and a spoon of homemade dark Seville marmalade, and some ground ginger and a few chopped lemon balm leaves from the garden. If I have mixed berries with my yoghurt and seeds, I have cinnamon. Sometimes I have chopped nuts with it instead of seeds or as well as seeds.
If I have leftover curry, I will sometimes have that for breakfast (I love cold curry for breakfast) cabbage bhaji(which is a soft curried cabbage dish with onions and tomato rather than being the crispy deep fried version of onion bhaji), or cabbage and bacon and an egg, or some ham and cheese and coleslaw maybe with some pickled gherkins. Or a large 2 egg omelette with mushrooms and onion and peppers and cheese, with a large salad dressed with balsamic vinegar which gives it real bite and a big dollop of creamy coleslaw. No reason you can't have steak and mushrooms for breakfast if you fancy it. Some of those more filling suggestions mean that I can skip lunch and then just have 2 meals a day. Low carb doesn't really limit your meals, it is more your imagination and custom/habits which limit your choices.
Stewed rhubarb sound nice I will deffo try that sound yummy thank you x

With the Gliclazide you do need some carbs - spread through the day, I have read is the best option, but it should mean that you get a meter and test strips so you can check your levels. I am sorry to learn that you are finding things monotonous.
One thing I did in the early days was to make shopping lists - I had three at first, with a separate set of ingredients each week so that I did not always have the same things in the fridge, and even now I very rarely have both mushrooms and tomatoes.
I use quite a few herbs and spices, so if I make a big casserole or stew in the pressure cooker I can give it different tastes - after I take out a serving and reheat it add a sprinkle of something and leave it covered over whilst I serve up my husband's food.
Thank you that’s sounds like a good idea yes they gave me a glucose monitor and strips am just a bit sick of eating the same things so I appreciate your reply I will look for different ingredients etc on my next shop x

Welcome @Mezza 🙂 Yes, it is annoying having to think about food so much, but I actively try not to let it affect my enjoyment of food. When I get in a rut, I buy or borrow some new cook books and try out new recipes. I also treat myself to some nice foods that I don’t have often due to price.
Thank you for understanding I will take on board all
The replies it’s the first time I’ve posted it’s helped me know om
Not alone on this journey x

Thank you for understanding I will take on board all
The replies it’s the first time I’ve posted it’s helped me know om
Not alone on this journey x
Just had a Caesar salad but with peppered Mackerel instead of chicken, it worked well. Home made dressing with Mayo, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, Worcester sauce, salt and pepper, dash of balsamic vinegar.

I also don't like hot spicy food, so that limits me as well. Have you considered trying some flavourings in a limited way. I'm really not into ginger, but I can add a very very small amount of ground ginger mixed into a recipe. You wouldn't identify it as being present in the finished dish, but it can still add a little something to the flavour.
I do the same with tabasco - add a little for warmth, and a touch of flavour, but not heat.
The green tabasco is well worth trying. It has a zesty flavour, and is so mild I could sprinkle it into a bowl of soup/stew, mix it up and eat it
Thanks for these tips, I will give them a try

I'm on gliclazide !!! I didn't know that about carbs!!!! Can my doctors possibly get any worse????

@Mezza
Here's an idea for a summer alternative to sandwiches Vietnamese summer rolls (if we get a summer 😳)
You'd need to ensure you were buying the rice wraps for non-cooked spring rolls, not the ones for the fried rolls. Once you see what size to chop stuff to and the mechanics of wrapping it you can experiment with your own fillings / dips.

I only did a fast search, but I spotted them at Tesco Blue Dragon Spring Roll Wrappers. Based on the nutrition info listed if the 134g pack size contains 15 wraps that's approx 7 carbs per wrapper (if it contains 17 wrappers then 6.3 carbs per wrapper)
Thank you this sounds lovely will try this I shop at Tesco will look out for them x

Just had a Caesar salad but with peppered Mackerel instead of chicken, it worked well. Home made dressing with Mayo, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, Worcester sauce, salt and pepper, dash of balsamic vinegar.
Love this as I get so sick of chicken the homemade dressing sounds lovely too it’s on my list for a new shopping experience this weekend and the sun is supposed to shine thank you I really appreciate the reply and thought x

being on gliclicazide doesn’t entirely rule out low carb if that’s the way you want to go. If you are a driver you should have a meter and strips as it’s a medication that can cause hypos. Using those and being hyper vigilant you can see when levels are approaching being low enough to warrant a reduction in medication. It can happen almost immediately or after a while depending on your starting point and how low carb you go. Talk with your dr/nurse about your preference in eating low carb and matching the medication to that and not the other way around. You may not need it at all if you go low enough carb. It’s crazy to take meds that tackle high blood glucose which then force you to eat carbs that raise glucose. Choose the carbs you want to eat and then match the mediation.

being on gliclicazide doesn’t entirely rule out low carb if that’s the way you want to go. If you are a driver you should have a meter and strips as it’s a medication that can cause hypos. Using those and being hyper vigilant you can see when levels are approaching being low enough to warrant a reduction in medication. It can happen almost immediately or after a while depending on your starting point and how low carb you go. Talk with your dr/nurse about your preference in eating low carb and matching the medication to that and not the other way around. You may not need it at all if you go low enough carb. It’s crazy to take meds that tackle high blood glucose which then force you to eat carbs that raise glucose. Choose the carbs you want to eat and then match the mediation.
Thank you I know it’s just mind blowing controlling your bloods keeping it in the right range etc not going to low or high and shopping and cooking accordingly I just see friends going out for cocktails pizza nights etc without a care in the world which is great I just get a bit down sometimes about it you have to think about every morsel of food thank you for reply x

Thank you I know it’s just mind blowing controlling your bloods keeping it in the right range etc not going to low or high and shopping and cooking accordingly I just see friends going out for cocktails pizza nights etc without a care in the world which is great I just get a bit down sometimes about it you have to think about every morsel of food thank you for reply x
Once you get a better feeling of what foods and meals you can tolerate by doing some before and after meal testing you will be able to relax a bit more about making those food choices and it will become second nature to select better options from a menu without stressing over it.
But even if you have to make a less good choice, it is one day and likely will do no damage.

Once you get a better feeling of what foods and meals you can tolerate by doing some before and after meal testing you will be able to relax a bit more about making those food choices and it will become second nature to select better options from a menu without stressing over it.
But even if you have to make a less good choice, it is one day and likely will do no damage.
Thank you I know I’m just sick of thinking about it all the time if that makes sense, your right what you say I think it’s just got me down a bit these last few weeks appreciate your reply thank you so much x

Thanks for posting this thread @Mezza

It’s clearly resonated with the experiences of others here.

I certainly go through phases of this, where the available “generally seem to work out OK” food choices either stop working well for a time, or just feel like a slog, and anything else just seems like too much effort or faff, plus potentially full of diabetes-chaos risk (which can drain enthusiasm and enjoyment before I’ve started!)

These phases do pass though, so hang in there. Your passion for food will find a way through again!

Sometimes I find it helpful to switch things up as the seasons change. Returning to dishes that I used to enjoy in previous years. Ingredients in season often taste much better anyway, and can be got from more local sources (rather than flown unripe in cold storage halfway round the world!)

Sometimes it helps to flick through a recipe book (an old favourite one, or a new one by a trusted cook)

Sometimes it reinvogorates me to go out for a meal. We went out for Mezze / Tapas last night for a family birthday, and the range of delicious and inspiring mini plates was amazing.

More often though, I just have to wait for the food slump to pass by naturally. Which it will.

Hope you get your pep back soon!

Thanks for posting this thread @Mezza

It’s clearly resonated with the experiences of others here.

I certainly go through phases of this, where the available “generally seem to work out OK” food choices either stop working well for a time, or just feel like a slog, and anything else just seems like too much effort or faff, plus potentially full of diabetes-chaos risk (which can drain enthusiasm and enjoyment before I’ve started!)

These phases do pass though, so hang in there. Your passion for food will find a way through again!

Sometimes I find it helpful to switch things up as the seasons change. Returning to dishes that I used to enjoy in previous years. Ingredients in season often taste much better anyway, and can be got from more local sources (rather than flown unripe in cold storage halfway round the world!)

Sometimes it helps to flick through a recipe book (an old favourite one, or a new one by a trusted cook)

Sometimes it reinvogorates me to go out for a meal. We went out for Mezze / Tapas last night for a family birthday, and the range of delicious and inspiring mini plates was amazing.

More often though, I just have to wait for the food slump to pass by naturally. Which it will.

Hope you get your pep back soon!
Thank you for your kind words it has gave me some inspiration I’ve wrote down a few tips from lovely people too, I’m never like this always a positive person, just lost my mojo with food hopefully it will come back nice to hear other people’s stories it all helps thanks again x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back