Lost 9lb to beat diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukjohn

Much Missed Member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Jimmy Tarbuck says he lost 9lb in weight to beat his diabetes, in this article he said his dad had it slightly, and when he himself had a check up that he was told he had minor diabetes. :confused:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11004916

Oh John, thank you for posting that! What an absolutely terrible article - he really doesn't have a clue, does he?

'Had it slightly'

'Minor diabetes'

'He was a big beer drinker'

'from diabetes to weight on the heart'

I despair! 😱

Though they give a little panel explaining diabetes, there should really be a comment from the journalist that there is no such thing as 'slight' or 'minor' diabetes. To be fair to Jimmy, he's just relating what he was told and does stress the importance of vigilance.

Last edited:
I bumped into an old neighbour the other day who i hadn't seen for ages and he asked me how i was and i said, i'm now diabetic so he said is it mild diabetes? :( people really don't know much about it do they?

I bumped into an old neighbour the other day who i hadn't seen for ages and he asked me how i was and i said, i'm now diabetic so he said is it mild diabetes? :( people really don't know much about it do they?
I wish i could say ' I've got mild diabetes and it's going to be cured in no time!' :D

I was asked yesterday 'do you have the real one - type A or type B'? I said the types were actually known as t1 and t2 and that I had t2. The response I got was 'oh that must be the B one that you get because you are fat!'

Grrr...i can't wait until christmas when hopefully I will have lost 5 stone and people won't be so rude within ear shot of me in future!!

Yep, I get that a lot... I have got T2 cos I am fat... Whilst yes obviously my weight has a lot to do with it so does the fact that both parents, my 2 grandmothers and my grandfather had it 🙄. I am hoping to reduce/come of medication when I loose more weight but I know I will never be cured!

PS my hubby has been T2 for 10 years and has never been fat. His bmi hovers around 23/24. He gets the opposite people say to him "its so unfair, I mean it is not as if you are fat". It makes him 😡

My Dad had diabetes for years and he was never overweight. I cant remember a time when he didnt have it.

I get asked which type and I just say im on the insulin .....thats how the majority of ppl i know differenciate them..... i dont have the time or inclination to educate them

Yep, I get that a lot... I have got T2 cos I am fat... Whilst yes obviously my weight has a lot to do with it so does the fact that both parents, my 2 grandmothers and my grandfather had it 🙄. I am hoping to reduce/come of medication when I loose more weight but I know I will never be cured!

PS my hubby has been T2 for 10 years and has never been fat. His bmi hovers around 23/24. He gets the opposite people say to him "its so unfair, I mean it is not as if you are fat". It makes him 😡

When i read this i thought cheeky bar stewards....people are so ignorant and judgmental it makes me cross 😡

On a sidenote Caz...you have done smashing with your weightloss...i know how hard it is to lose weight as i lost 2 and a half stone last year which was needed. Whilst it doesn't cure me, my insulin and thyroxine levels have gone down. Needless to say, it will definitely help with medication for you.

Aside from that and back on topic...people are quick to mention things they know nothing about grrrrr

Bernie xx 🙂

But how much do people really need to know if it doesn't effect their life fully. There are so many conditions out there that no one can be 100% up to scratch on whats what. 2 weeks ago I thought if a diabetic ate a chocolate digestive they would end up in hospital (happened on Coronation St once 😛), I had no idea of the complications that came as a result of diabetes. I didn't even knowwhat the pancreas did in all honesty! And then again why should I, I've never met anyone with diabetes and its never directly or even indirectly affected my life before?

Yes I agree that if someone is publishing an article like this then they should get their facts straight, absolutely. However I don't think it should be put in the national curriculum, why does everyne seem to be up in arms when a non-diabetic gets something wrong 🙄? Or am I just misunderstanding?

P.S. I have eaten a chocolate digestive in order to win that little battle in my head. I don't even like Chocolate Digestives! Lewy 1 Coronation St 0 😉

Last edited:
It is already in the national curriculum, I studied it in Biology for my GCSE. Just saying 😉

But how much do people really need to know if it doesn't effect their life fully. There are so many conditions out there that no one can be 100% up to scratch on whats what. 2 weeks ago I thought if a diabetic ate a chocolate digestive they would end up in hospital (happened on Coronation St once 😛), I had no idea of the complications that came as a result of diabetes. I didn't even knowwhat the pancreas did in all honesty! And then again why should I, I've never met anyone with diabetes and its never directly or even indirectly affected my life before?

Yes I agree that if someone is publishing an article like this then they should get their facts straight, absolutely. However I don't think it should be put in the national curriculum, why does everyne seem to be up in arms when a non-diabetic gets something wrong 🙄? Or am I just misunderstanding?

P.S. I have eaten a chocolate digestive in order to win that little battle in my head. I don't even like Chocolate Digestives! Lewy 1 Coronation St 0 😉

I agree with you Lewy it would be nice if everyone knew about diabetes but its a fact of life if something does not effect a person do they really need to know,I told a mate of mine i was diabetic and she said oh god what are you going to do at your sons party now then? i just laughed at her and said i dont know sit in the corner munching on a celery stick, i explained my condition to her and now she understands.

It is already in the national curriculum, I studied it in Biology for my GCSE. Just saying 😉

I've been absolutely owned 😱

I can't remember that, but then again the only time I paid any attention in biology was on the 3 occasions in 2 years we got to disect organs; kidney, heart and lungs (and in case anyone wanted to know I enjoyed cutting up the heart the most 😛)

I've been absolutely owned 😱

I can't remember that, but then again the only time I paid any attention in biology was on the 3 occasions in 2 years we got to disect organs; kidney, heart and lungs (and in case anyone wanted to know I enjoyed cutting up the heart the most 😛)

I remember because strangely, even though I didn't yet have Diabetes, i'd always had a particular interest in it... Too many medical dramas perhaps.

I was just stalking you, I mean... reading your your blog... and I was wondering. Do you still see disability as a demographic now that you have Diabetes? As some people see Diabetes as a disability. There was that programme about people with disabilities becoming models. They looked just as good as the able-bodied models, so I hope we'll see them around in future.

Sorry, totally OT 😉

I remember because strangely, even though I didn't yet have Diabetes, i'd always had a particular interest in it... Too many medical dramas perhaps.

I was just stalking you, I mean... reading your your blog... and I was wondering. Do you still see disability as a demographic now that you have Diabetes? As some people see Diabetes as a disability. There was that programme about people with disabilities becoming models. They looked just as good as the able-bodied models, so I hope we'll see them around in future.

Sorry, totally OT 😉

Uh oh *horror music* how on earth..😱? I suppose I should know more than any the dirt you can dig up on someone with some basic information 🙄.

I do indeed still see disability as a demographic, and 100% understand why there are very rarely any campaigns targeted towards this demographic because marketing is about generating positive ROI and the easiest way to get that is by targeting the largest relevant audience possible. I don't doubt that the models looked amazing either!

And I don't see diabetes as a disability for me, I don't plan on letting it disable me from doing anything 😉

OK just realised I put the blog link on my profile, see memory like a fish. No wonder I can't remember anything from my school days 😱

OK just realised I put the blog link on my profile, see memory like a fish. No wonder I can't remember anything from my school days 😱

Yeah, I'm not that much of a stalker 😉

I don't see Diabetes as a disibility either. And I'm sure a lot of physically disabled people feel the same way. I don't think though that, for example, a picture of a person who happens to be in a wheelchair whilst using an ipod can't be used for a general ipod advertising campaign. You wouldnt think, nah I won't get one of those, they are for people in wheelchairs!

I don't see Diabetes as a disibility either. And I'm sure a lot of physically disabled people feel the same way. I don't think though that, for example, a picture of a person who happens to be in a wheelchair whilst using an ipod can't be used for a general ipod advertising campaign. You wouldnt think, nah I won't get one of those, they are for people in wheelchairs!

No absolutely not with a consumer product like that, but with products like clothing ranges you would be suprised how much it would make a difference. And I'm not saying that people are doing it purposely but it will absolutely have an effect on their subconscious.

You wouldn't believe the crap we have to look at in marketing. Part of a recent study we were looking out found that if someone brushes past you making physical contact in a supermarket within a certain timeframe you are less likely to buy (something along those lines). I can't remember word for word but it was pretty unreal like that! I will have to dig it out when I go into work on Monday.

No absolutely not with a consumer product like that, but with products like clothing ranges you would be suprised how much it would make a difference. And I'm not saying that people are doing it purposely but it will absolutely have an effect on their subconscious.

You wouldn't believe the crap we have to look at in marketing. Part of a recent study we were looking out found that if someone brushes past you making physical contact in a supermarket within a certain timeframe you are less likely to buy (something along those lines). I can't remember word for word but it was pretty unreal like that! I will have to dig it out when I go into work on Monday.

But that's exactly why things need to change. If it became more normal, people would stop noticing it was different. Just like there should be more 'plus size' models (over a size 0!).

But that's exactly why things need to change. If it became more normal, people would stop noticing it was different. Just like there should be more 'plus size' models (over a size 0!).

You know what they say about trying to change the habit of a lifetime 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back