Loss of appetite on metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most people here on the forum who have been successful in managing their diabetes would say that a BG meter is an invaluable tool, particularly if you are trying to make dietary changes, which are necessary whichever approach you take. Doctors and nurses only see diabetes from their perspective as health care professionals, they don't live with diabetes day by day and meal by meal and that sort of dismissive approach is why many people with diabetes become progressively worse and need stronger medication and most doctors believe that is because diabetes is progressive when it is only so because their advice is not helpful.
Only you can decide who to believe.... a doctor/nurse who sees you once every few months, often sadly to tell you off or make you feel guilty because your HbA1c result is worse than last time..... or people here who are taking control of their diabetes and becoming healthier and needing less or no drugs rather than becoming sicker and needing more or stronger drugs. Your choice. A BG meter and test strips could be the best investment you ever make in your future.

I have pointed out that the average of 30 and 70 is 50, and so is the average of 49 and 51 - so how is it possible to tell how well blood glucose levels were controlled by doing a Hbaa1c test.
Seeing the blood glucose level two hours after starting to eat seems to be very informative both about the condition of your metabolism and the suitability of the foods. Testing at other times can show change and improvement or otherwise, but that timing seems most informative.

I am so sorry to see that. What is your A1c?

If it is over 55 do you have any way to change your medical advisors to ones with a passing knowledge of 21st century treatment of type 2 diabetes?
81 - and that’s after losing 10 kg and being on Metformin for 2 years. Now at my lowest weight since I was 18.

81 - and that’s after losing 10 kg and being on Metformin for 2 years. Now at my lowest weight since I was 18.
As I didn't know you when you were 18 I am trying not to assume anything but are you saying that you are quite slim? Do you know your BMI (Body Mass Index)?

What you have been doing has had a positive effect on your weight loss but not really done much to reduce your blood glucose to a safer level.
Have you made any dietary changes or are you just taking the metformin. If not then that is something you need to address.

What you have been doing has had a positive effect on your weight loss but not really done much to reduce your blood glucose to a safer level.
Have you made any dietary changes or are you just taking the metformin. If not then that is something you need to address.
My BMI is now 29. I’m a former rugby prop forward. I’m now 13st but was about 15 st when I was playing rugby every Sat, coaching Sundays and at gym 3 times a week. Short, broad but not fat. Gave up rugby 13 years ago when I was 51 and fought a long battle to get weight down - cutting carbs, most sweet things and some fats. Diagnosed with type 2 about 7 years ago. Diet controlled at first and by losing some weight and keeping up exercise, blood sugar under control. It suddenly rose massively just before pandemic and put on Metformin.

If you can change to new qualified medical advisors please consider doing so.

Please also consider obtaining a meter and an affordable supply of test strips to enable you to begin testing. If you cannot get your doctor to support subsidised testing ask the people here for advice on your cheapest self-funded options. Without testing you are flying blind; weight loss does not always solve the problem as you have clearly demonstrated. Until you get your meter please click on this: What to Eat Until You Get Your Meter.

When you have a meter please read these:
I know you will have lots of questions after you read the info on those links. Come back and ask them all.

If you can change to new qualified medical advisors please consider doing so.

Please also consider obtaining a meter and an affordable supply of test strips to enable you to begin testing. If you cannot get your doctor to support subsidised testing ask the people here for advice on your cheapest self-funded options. Without testing you are flying blind; weight loss does not always solve the problem as you have clearly demonstrated. Until you get your meter please click on this: What to Eat Until You Get Your Meter.

When you have a meter please read these:
I know you will have lots of questions after you read the info on those links. Come back and ask them all.
In my part of London, no chance of changing doctor. All surgeries over-subscribed and short of staff. No chance of subsidised blood tester. That’s the NHS. Recently had to wait 2 weeks just to talk to doctor on the phone.

In my part of London, no chance of changing doctor. All surgeries over-subscribed and short of staff. No chance of subsidised blood tester. That’s the NHS. Recently had to wait 2 weeks just to talk to doctor on the phone.
I have no idea what the cheapest meter and strips cost in the UK but it would be worth considering it an investment in your future health.

I have no idea what the cheapest meter and strips cost in the UK but it would be worth considering it an investment in your future health.
I believe gluco navii and spirit tee2 are the cheaper strips and meter costs are low too 🙂

Yes, it will be the best investment you can make to get a monitor. The GlucoNavil will cost you about £15 for a kit with a few strips and lancets but you should buy more of those at the same time strips are £13 for 100. I'm not sure about lancets but they are pretty cheap (I do reuse then as do many people). Amazon or similar, you do not need to pay VAT.
I use the analogy of driving your car without a speedometer, by guessing what speed you are going you would probably be exceeding the speed limit at least 50% of the time, so ask yourself would you want to take the risk of getting a fine or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back