Losing too much weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Paschal, I am also Type 2, but slim, and have never been considered overweight. As others have observed, I'm disappointed you weren't given the opportunity to change your diet and exercise regime before being put on Metformin. I was given that opportunity, and for several years was not on medication. As my condition progressed, I was put on Metformin, but it didn't agree with me, although I did then lose weight. I came off Metformin, my numbers having improved, and gradually returned to my original weight, by eating a high protein, high fat but lower carbohydrate (and no sugar) diet. The trick is, to ensure your calorie intake remains at the level you need, but do this by eating more proteins and fats. Fortunately, my cholesterol is low, so I can get away with animal fats - you may not be so lucky. The NHS website has info on the required daily calorie intake for different genders/ages, and advice regarding putting on weight / maintaining weight.
I am now on a different medication - Sitagliptin - which is helpful in bringing down the background level of blood sugar in my system, which is too high without it. Then my diet and exercise routine does the rest - preventing me from "spikes" of excessive blood sugar. Seems to be working for now! And no side effects.
Regarding Type 1, because I was slim, I was tested for this right at the start of my journey 14 years ago - so I would have thought you should have been, so I think you should check this with your GP.
Good luck - and fire back any questions if you have them.
Nick

Hi Nick. Thank you for the very informative reply. The irony is that I am fit and not overweight, yet diabetic. I walk and swim but I had/have a sweet tooth. Doing my best to cut out carbs. How I miss big chuncks of baguette! Lol. I have lost a kilo in 8 weeks and I seem to be chasing food to keep some flesh on me. All the food that's good for me, I'm not really interested in but there's not much choice. Cut out sugar for the most part, eat brown bread for breakfast and a wheatabix; not the best I know. Hope my efforts will pay off. Wishing you good health. Paschal.

Hi Nick. Thank you for the very informative reply. The irony is that I am fit and not overweight, yet diabetic. I walk and swim but I had/have a sweet tooth. Doing my best to cut out carbs. How I miss big chuncks of baguette! Lol. I have lost a kilo in 8 weeks and I seem to be chasing food to keep some flesh on me. All the food that's good for me, I'm not really interested in but there's not much choice. Cut out sugar for the most part, eat brown bread for breakfast and a wheatabix; not the best I know. Hope my efforts will pay off. Wishing you good health. Paschal.
That would not be an unusual weight loss if you are cutting out some carbs as initially they weight loss tends to be fluids but it seems you are not really going that low on carbs as you are having a high carb breakfast which is often harder for people to tolerate in the morning. I have to disagree that there is not much choice, have you looked at one of the low carb programs like the Freshwell as in this link. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

That would not be an unusual weight loss if you are cutting out some carbs as initially they weight loss tends to be fluids but it seems you are not really going that low on carbs as you are having a high carb breakfast which is often harder for people to tolerate in the morning. I have to disagree that there is not much choice, have you looked at one of the low carb programs like the Freshwell as in this link. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Great! I will check out the site and hopefully find something that I enjoy eating and which is convenient as well. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back