Status
Not open for further replies.

Paschal

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello everyone
Have T2D. Diagnosed 2 months ago. Blood test result: 52. On Metformin. Modified my diet. Have never been overweight. However, I've lost a lot of weight recently. Looking gaunt due to cutting down on sugar and carbs. People have noticed and commented on my weight loss. No other medical issues. Does anyone have any ideas how I can bulk up? Thank you.

Apologies if you’ve already covered this in your earlier posts but are they sure you’re Type 2 and not Type 1 @Paschal ?

Hi. Well, the doctor says it's Type 2. Thanks for the message.

Thanks. I'll check with my doctor and see what he suggests. Unfortunately, I have little faith in doctors and steer clear from them as much as possible. Thank you once again.

If you are Type 2, you could try adding extra healthy fats. Using an app to keep count of your calories and ensure you’re eating enough consistently can help too.

Thank you. Not too sure what healthy fats are but I'll google it.

Hi. Well, the doctor says it's Type 2. Thanks for the message.
I am quite surprised that you were put on metformin so quickly without giving you the opportunity to make dietary changes as your HbA1Cwas not desperately high.
If you reduce carbs then you will likely need to be having more protein and healthy fats to halt the weight loss.
Something similar happened to a friend when she reduced carbs and was put on metformin and gliclazide which made no difference to blood glucose and weight loss continued. It turned out she was Type 1 which had been dismissed as she is in her late seventies.

Thank you. Not too sure what healthy fats are but I'll google it.
A list from Google.
  • Coconut and Coconut Oil. ...
  • Dark Chocolate. ...
  • Nuts. ...
  • Olive Oil. ...
  • Egg Yolks. ...
  • Avocados. Yes, avocados are loaded with fat. ...
  • Cheese. Cheese is a powerhouse of calcium and protein. ...
  • Fatty Fish. Salmon, tuna, trout, sardines and mackerel are all healthy.

I am quite surprised that you were put on metformin so quickly without giving you the opportunity to make dietary changes as your HbA1Cwas not desperately high.
If you reduce carbs then you will likely need to be having more protein and healthy fats to halt the weight loss.
Something similar happened to a friend when she reduced carbs and was put on metformin and gliclazide which made no difference to blood glucose and weight loss continued. It turned out she was Type 1 which had been dismissed as she is in her late seventies.

Thank you for sharing that. Yes, my doctor seems obsessed with dishing out tablets; not a criticism just an observation. I'll have the repeat Hb blood test in about 6 weeks time so I'll see what the results show. I'm finding it hard to compensate nutritionally for the loss of my beloved carbs and sugary things! Hope your friend is doing well. Thanks again.

Things like oily fish, nuts, seeds and avocados, along with extra virgin olive oil

Ok. All the things I hate! Lol. However,
I'll definitely increase these. Thank you again for your help.

I lost too much weight after a prediabetes diagnosis and my GP was horrified as I was not overweight in the first place. I have put on a bit now as I eat more. As I am a nut addict it is not difficult.

Some of the other posters have a point about Type 1 though. I don't know much about it though.

Thank you for sharing that. Yes, my doctor seems obsessed with dishing out tablets; not a criticism just an observation. I'll have the repeat Hb blood test in about 6 weeks time so I'll see what the results show. I'm finding it hard to compensate nutritionally for the loss of my beloved carbs and sugary things! Hope your friend is doing well. Thanks again.
She is now she is on insulin, thanks for asking.

I lost too much weight after a prediabetes diagnosis and my GP was horrified as I was not overweight in the first place. I have put on a bit now as I eat more. As I am a nut addict it is not difficult.

Some of the other posters have a point about Type 1 though. I don't know much about it though.

Hi. Thanks for the message. I'll start eating more nuts and avocados. This is the first time in my life I wish I was overweight! Thanks again.

If your weight loss continues, please push your doctor to test for Type 1. There are two tests that some doctors will do - GAD and cPeptide.

Do you know what your blood glucose readings are or are you waiting for your HbA1C?

If you have undiagnosed Type 1 (misdiagnosed type 2), you are at risk of DKA which is very serious (potentially fatal) with high blood glucose and ketones. You can get ketostix from the pharmacy.

If you start feeling shortness of breath and/or stomach pains, these are symptoms of DKA and you need to get to A&E.

Sorry to sound so scary. Hopefully, your GP is correct with his diagnosis but when the risks of getting it wrong are high, it is worrying than over 30% of adults diagnosed with Type 1 were first misdiagnosed with type 2.

Hi @Paschal, I am also Type 2, but slim, and have never been considered overweight. As others have observed, I'm disappointed you weren't given the opportunity to change your diet and exercise regime before being put on Metformin. I was given that opportunity, and for several years was not on medication. As my condition progressed, I was put on Metformin, but it didn't agree with me, although I did then lose weight. I came off Metformin, my numbers having improved, and gradually returned to my original weight, by eating a high protein, high fat but lower carbohydrate (and no sugar) diet. The trick is, to ensure your calorie intake remains at the level you need, but do this by eating more proteins and fats. Fortunately, my cholesterol is low, so I can get away with animal fats - you may not be so lucky. The NHS website has info on the required daily calorie intake for different genders/ages, and advice regarding putting on weight / maintaining weight.
I am now on a different medication - Sitagliptin - which is helpful in bringing down the background level of blood sugar in my system, which is too high without it. Then my diet and exercise routine does the rest - preventing me from "spikes" of excessive blood sugar. Seems to be working for now! And no side effects.
Regarding Type 1, because I was slim, I was tested for this right at the start of my journey 14 years ago - so I would have thought you should have been, so I think you should check this with your GP.
Good luck - and fire back any questions if you have them.
Nick

Hello everyone
Have T2D. Diagnosed 2 months ago. Blood test result: 52. On Metformin. Modified my diet. Have never been overweight. However, I've lost a lot of weight recently. Looking gaunt due to cutting down on sugar and carbs. People have noticed and commented on my weight loss. No other medical issues. Does anyone have any ideas how I can bulk up? Thank you.
I was diagnosed 2 months ago with T2D with same HbA1c of 52. I am 54 years old. Have Norma BMI but lost around 5kg over the previous year while prediabetic. Thought weight loss was due to my reduction in carbs and increased exercise regime. Doctor put me on Metformin and sent me away to be educated about T2 etc. However nurse decided to have my antibodies tested and sure enough they came back positive for T1D. Have been on single long-acting insulin dose for 2 weeks now. If I were you I’d ask to be tested for antibodies ASAP as sounds very similar to my experience.

If your weight loss continues, please push your doctor to test for Type 1. There are two tests that some doctors will do - GAD and cPeptide.

Do you know what your blood glucose readings are or are you waiting for your HbA1C?

If you have undiagnosed Type 1 (misdiagnosed type 2), you are at risk of DKA which is very serious (potentially fatal) with high blood glucose and ketones. You can get ketostix from the pharmacy.

If you start feeling shortness of breath and/or stomach pains, these are symptoms of DKA and you need to get to A&E.

Sorry to sound so scary. Hopefully, your GP is correct with his diagnosis but when the risks of getting it wrong are high, it is worrying than over 30% of adults diagnosed with Type 1 were first misdiagnosed with type 2.

Hello. Thank you very much for your message. Yes, I will check with my GP to see if I have Type 1. I am worried about my weight loss as people are beginning to remark on it. Wishing you good health. Thanks once again. Paschal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back