Looking for reviews of Core Blood Glucose Monitoring and True Metrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feathers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
This monitor seems to have the cheapest strips in the UK (based on my googling) https://shop.diabetes.org.uk/collec...products/core-blood-glucose-monitoring-system I've been looking for reviews but not really found any. Wondered if anyone had used this monitor and strips?

The other ones I'm considering are True Metrix (benefit is it's available in Boots as well as online, but the reviews seem mixed).

I've also been looking at meters on Amazon, but the reviews are hopeless - they all have positive reviews, then a few saying very inaccurate.

I'm probably getting a Genteel Plus lancing device, so it doesn't matter what the lancing device with the kits is like.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Code free SD strips are significantly cheaper than those.

Lots of us have the monitor because the strips are dirt cheap. There’s an updated version of the monitor now with strips of a similar price.

I'm probably getting a Genteel Plus lancing device, so it doesn't matter what the lancing device with the kits is like.
That looks fancy. A couple of people have mentioned it but not reported their experience (maybe because they decided not to buy one after all). So I'm sure we'd be interested to know about it if you do go ahead.

(Otherwise the general recommendation is Accu-Chek Fastclix. The lancets are available on prescription (though probably only if you get test strips) and it's generally liked.)

That looks fancy. A couple of people have mentioned it but not reported their experience (maybe because they decided not to buy one after all). So I'm sure we'd be interested to know about it if you do go ahead.

(Otherwise the general recommendation is Accu-Chek Fastclix. The lancets are available on prescription (though probably only if you get test strips) and it's generally liked.)
I agree on the Accu-Chek Fastclix.

I'll be sure to report back! I had been unsure whether it was worth it, but yesterday I managed to do some tests using my Dad's basic kit, and after much nerves and messing around, the thing I found easiest for me was to do the shallowest scratch possible and then squeeze blood out - which sounds like basically what this does, only a bit easier/more reliable than manically pinching your thumb! I don't for a moment believe anything that says it will be pain-free, but "less painful and acceptable to my scaredy brain" would be good enough.

I'll be sure to report back! I had been unsure whether it was worth it, but yesterday I managed to do some tests using my Dad's basic kit, and after much nerves and messing around, the thing I found easiest for me was to do the shallowest scratch possible and then squeeze blood out - which sounds like basically what this does, only a bit easier/more reliable than manically pinching your thumb! I don't for a moment believe anything that says it will be pain-free, but "less painful and acceptable to my scaredy brain" would be good enough.
The Fast Clix has a 0.5 setting which I use, no other lancing device has had that low a setting I have used and I have used a few.

Take care with squeezing your blood out. This could easily lead to bruising,
I find warming my hands works well to get my blood flowing.

Also squeezing can dilute the actual blood since it also squeezes out interstional fluid from the same hole. But - 99% better than not testing.

I could think of far better things to spend around £60 on than a lancing device, you build a tolerance to pricking and obtaining a sample, been doing it for over 4 years now and far more than what you'd probably be doing as I have lows etc and need to keep repeating, the FastClix is great and very comfortable to use, far gentler than most that come with meters xx

Also squeezing can dilute the actual blood since it also squeezes out interstional fluid from the same hole. But - 99% better than not testing.
Could this also be a problem with the genteel, as it sorta sucks the blood out?

The Spirit Tee2 along with the SD Gluco Navii (replaces the Codefree), are often recommended by members here and have strips at £8 a pot 🙂

Could this also be a problem with the genteel, as it sorta sucks the blood out?
A bigger problem is that it’s £100
Unless you have a specific need for that device why on Earth would you spend anything like that on a lancing device?

Wow, just looked at the Genteel website and their video.
I didn't finish watching it because I was too annoyed by their "Diabetes Hurts" message.
It doesn't have to if you use the correct depth on lancets, stab the correct part of your finger and warm your hands beforehand.
I know this message doesn't sell their product but as well as earning them lots of money the "diabetes hurts" message has the potential to scare vulnerable people unnecessarily.

Last edited:
A bigger problem is that it’s £100
Unless you have a specific need for that device why on Earth would you spend anything like that on a lancing device?
It's £60 on Amazon

I completely understand the aversion to expensive equipment. My reasons for buying it are:

1. I'm freaked out by fingerprick tests, but also convinced I need to do them (at least occasionally) to keep track of how I'm managing my type 2. Any device that makes this easier is worth considering.
  2. Having tried my Dad's normal lancing device (took multiple tests on Sunday), I'm fairly confident the Genteel approach is one that will work for me, as it should replicate (only maybe with less risk of bruising and more precision) the approach that worked for me on Sunday.
  3. Yes, £60 is a lot of money. But I am in the (very fortunate, I know) position to be able to invest a little in my health. It's a one-off purchase, that reduces my fear around something I need to start doing, and, frankly, makes me more likely to do it.

Wow, just looked at the Genteel website and their video.
I didn't finish watching it because I was too annoyed by their "Diabetes Hurts" message.
It doesn't have to if you use the correct depth on lancets, stab the correct part of your finger and warm your hands beforehand.
I know this does message doesn't sell their product but as well as earning them lots of money the "diabetes hurts" has the potential scare vulnerable people unnecessarily.
That's a valid point for sure. I have to admit I was the opposite - I found their material reassuring. I've had a fingerprick test before, and it hurt like hell. On Sunday when I tried again, even doing everything "right" and doing very shallow pokes, it still hurt. Hearing people go "oh it doesn't hurt" just feels like . . . well, not great. It simply isn't my experience. Having a company go, "hey, we know this can hurt, try our thing that might help" is more useful for me (though I don't for a second buy their suggestion it's totally painless)

So thanks to folks in this thread who recommended SD code free/GlucoNavii (and especially ColinUK for pointing me to homehealth-uk.com). Have ordered the GlucoNavii and some strips from there 🙂

It's £60 on Amazon

I completely understand the aversion to expensive equipment. My reasons for buying it are:

1. I'm freaked out by fingerprick tests, but also convinced I need to do them (at least occasionally) to keep track of how I'm managing my type 2. Any device that makes this easier is worth considering.
  2. Having tried my Dad's normal lancing device (took multiple tests on Sunday), I'm fairly confident the Genteel approach is one that will work for me, as it should replicate (only maybe with less risk of bruising and more precision) the approach that worked for me on Sunday.
  3. Yes, £60 is a lot of money. But I am in the (very fortunate, I know) position to be able to invest a little in my health. It's a one-off purchase, that reduces my fear around something I need to start doing, and, frankly, makes me more likely to do it.
Hope you find it works for you and lives up to your expectations!

I promised to report back with a review of the Genteel Plus. Today is my first day using it, and I think I'll report again after living with it a bit, because I have a slight question mark over durability. But here are the first impressions.

I bought the blue, for £59.99, from Amazon UK.

Pros:
  • A lot less painful than even a shallow jab with the other device I tried.
  • As advertised, it does seem to work with any square lancet (I'm using the generic ones that came with the GlucoNavii starter kit, and it's fine)
  • I know it's childish, but I like the shiny blue colour I got. I like that they've made some effort to make it a bit nicer-looking. It also came with stickers, which would be nice for kids.
Neutral:
  • You definitely need to watch a getting started video before using, as it is pretty different. But I really didn't find it complicated, I was up and running in a few minutes.
Cons:
  • It would be bad for anyone with dexterity problems. You have to hold it steady (without pressing hard), and hold down a button for several seconds. It also takes some effort to prime it. And changing the caps (to alter the depth) might also be a problem for some.
  • It's friendly-looking, but not friendly-sounding! It's a very loud "ping" when you press the button, and the whole thing shakes slightly. This somewhat undermines its attempts to be non-scary. Those advertising photos of someone doing a test on a sleeping child? That kid is gonna wake up.
  • It's definitely not discreet: it's large, and loud. This might bother some people if they need to test when out and about.
  • I have a question mark over portability. It's not massive, I'd be happy with the carry case in my handbag. But, to fit it in the case, you have to press the plunger down, which means it's primed. Other reviewers have mentioned issues with accidentally setting it off, and I can see how that might happen if it's bumping about in a bag. As I'm only using it at home (type 2, not on insulin, only testing to figure out what different food does to me), I'm leaving it un-primed and just letting the plunger stick out the top of the case. But this would be really impractical if I wanted to take it anywhere - I'd have to find a bigger carry case.
  • I also have a question mark over durability, especially if you store it with the plunger pressed down. It takes some force to prime it, there's clearly some springs or something under tension there. I just wonder how long they'll last. I'll try to remember to report back on this in a few months.
  • It's USA-focused. In the UK, I can't find the Genteel Butterfly lancets (not that they're needed, but it's odd they're not available), or quite a lot of the lancets they recommend. Note that the image on Amazon includes a few lancets, but they were not actually included. Genteel say they can't ship their lancets to the UK. I also wonder whether the generous warranty would apply outside the USA?
  • They've done themselves no favours with their marketing. "Painless" is always going to be a stretch when you're poking sharp objects into your skin. I'd say it almost is, but you certainly feel it (it's more like a "thwack" than a "stab"). Just like I'm fed up of people going "oh fingerpricks don't hurt", I think companies over-claiming or not accurately describing how their product may behave is just unhelpful.
Am I happy with my purchase?

Yes, I'm very happy with it - but I'm not sure I'd be quick to recommend it to everyone.

My requirements were very simple: I found fingerpricks painful and scary, but I wanted to be able to test at home, to see my response to what I'm eating. The Genteel Plus is a lot less painful, and thus a lot less scary. I also feel friendly towards it, which is a kinda silly subjective thing, but it helps. I don't think I'm ever going to love the process, but I'm already more relaxed about it, and confident I can test as much as I want. So for me, it's done exactly what I needed it to do, and was definitely worth the investment.

However, I'd be reluctant to recommend it to anyone who needs to test all the time (e.g. anyone on insulin - so basically all type 1s, and some type 2s), due to the portability and discreteness concerns. It's also not going to be great for anyone with arthritis or other dexterity issues.

I hope this is helpful!

It's a very loud "ping" when you press the button, and the whole thing shakes slightly.
I suspect that's a part of the way it works to reduce the pain; it's a distraction. (The Libre applicators aren't quiet either. I'm not saying either thing deliberately creates the noise, necessarily, but I suspect if there were an easy way to reduce it they wouldn't.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back