london to paris bike ride :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caroline - have you tried a tricycle - no balance problem with three wheels!

Northerner - I might be interested in joining you for your run / trek.

A couple of guys in their 20s cycled from China back to UK a couple of years ago, one with diabetes - I think they called their trip "Cyclehome".

Nicholas Crane did a long solo walk along mountain ranges of Europe - and wrote a called Clear Waters Rising, published 2003. Seemed to carry an umbrella all the way, like he does on Coast and Mapman series.

I've only had 2 bike accidents in over 30 years of regular riding, wherever I've lived in Uk or overseas - once in Newfoundland when I fell off the bike owned (but not maintained!) by a physio friend, who had accompanied 2 guys who pushed themselves in wheelchairs from Istanbul to Birmingham; and once in Cambridge, when a man opened his car door without looking, resulting in a buckled wheel, torn T shirt sleeve, broken watch glass and 9cm gash in my upper arm.

Have you ever seen the film Blythe Spirit? The late great Margaret Rutherford rides a three wheeler. Hubby says he can see me in a Margarte Rutherford style outfit on a three wheeler. Unfortunately there is no space to store it-not even in the garden shed!

Trust me, I did not want to leave my bike behind, but there is not room anywhere in the appartment my best friend and I now share. That was reason no. 1. When we went to see the appartment we also noticed the hills, yes. That would be reason no. 2. ;)

Trust me, I did not want to leave my bike behind, but there is not room anywhere in the appartment my best friend and I now share. That was reason no. 1. When we went to see the appartment we also noticed the hills, yes. That would be reason no. 2. ;)

I noticed that, in Holland, most of the bikes were what we call 'sit up and beg' bikes, whereas over here thay tend to be (usually cheap) mountain bikes. My step-mother is Dutch - my father met her when he was a coach driver driving holiday coaches in Scotland - there were lots of Dutch tourists on the holidays to see the mountains!

When I used to run in and around Sheffield I frequently used to overtake exhausted cyclists on the hills! How do you manage with the Barnsley accent? I'm from Yorkshire, but Barnsley has one of the strongest dialects around, and often struggled with it!:)

get cycling

Not sure those excuses are good enough! I can't imagine living anywhere without a bike - so there's a trail of second hand bikes I've bought and sold when I left - Kaikoura, Belfast etc, as well as taking bikes to every place I've lived in Britain. Sadly, there are also a few that were stolen in London and Newcastle upon Tyne.

My daily use road bike lives outside the house, locked to a ring we fitted into a brick wall - alongside my partner's regular bike and our lodger's bike. When it rains, I put a plastic bag over the saddle. My partner and I each have a mountain bike, which live inside, in the extension - mine just had a trip to Birmingham (inside car), where I used it for visiting family and friends during the snowstorm (which meant I could drink a bit of alchohol, around 5 miles each evening), then for another reason (can't say more for reasons of confidentiality!).

So Caroline, if you have a garden shed, presumably you have a garden - and perhaps a brick wall to which you can attach a ring to look bike to? No, haven't seen Blythe Spirit (or is I have, the tricycle didn't make an impression on me)

As a student in Newcastle upon Tyne, which has very steep slopes towards the river, I cycled everyday, to university in city centre & marine lab (although often used Metro to sea), hospitals where I worked and TA centre, where my colleagues took great delight in checking it for bombs, like they would for a car! Not sure how it compares to Barnsley, but the key is having plenty of gears!

Fortunately, Northerner, I'm never overtaken by cyclists when running in Cambridge! It is funny watching Dutch adventure racers when they see hills in the UK though.

I'd like to do the ride but I really don't think I could raise enough sponsorship but I'll sponsor someone else with a just giving page.

I can't use a bike as a form of transport where I live, it really is too hilly.The hill into town counts as a small mountain in the Tour de France. We sometimes put mountain bikes in the back of the car to go to slightly flatter areas.
We 'run' around here though, but I have to walk many of the hills. It was an advantage when we did the New Forest Marathon, it was billed as hilly but compared to here was flat.

i have both a mountain bike (not a cheep one either) and a road bike (also not cheep) and i live in a part of the world at the min with just a few hills lol so i love to use my road bike to get a good work out and also i love to run them too.

i have both a mountain bike (not a cheep one either) and a road bike (also not cheep) and i live in a part of the world at the min with just a few hills lol so i love to use my road bike to get a good work out and also i love to run them too.

A mate of mine is really into mountain biking and bought himself a second-hand bike for ?2,000!!! I told him I'd seen some advertised in the Sun at two for ?100, but he didn't seem to think they would be quite the same quality...:rolleyes:

How do you manage with the Barnsley accent? I'm from Yorkshire, but Barnsley has one of the strongest dialects around, and often struggled with it!:)

Not a problem, strange enough. I've heard more people complain about the accent. When I was 16 I met my best friend, who now lives with me, and at the time her accent was a complete mystery to me. She's from Birkenhead. Through the 20+ years we've known each other I've heard so many different British accents I can understand practically everything.
I have to say though that when Barnsley people start mumbling it is very difficult to keep up with them.

To come back to owning a bicycle: I wish I was allowed to have ring attached to the building or something like that. We have some space at the back of the building but after more than 3 months we haven't gotten the key yet. By now I've gotten used to walking, which always used to tire me out immensly. And most things I'd like to see can be reached by public transport. So I'm better of with a car at some point and then walking long distances than having a bicycle, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back