Life.....how it all does change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am 16 years old I can't eat chips anymore, I need to count lines 13 per day. What’s a line I ask - well half a slice of bread, or a potato the size of an egg, or two unsweetened biscuits. Yippee flippin' do says I.
Oh and here is an orange to practice doing your injections – and the stainless steel reusable needle, the glass syringe, the surgical spirit to keep it in.
Here are the wee test tablets you put in a test tube to record your high sugar values. Oh and mix your insulin do the cloudy one first then the clear. Don't forget the enter the air into the bottle first.
What strength insulin you on, divide the dose by the strength to get the syringe units.

Now 26 years old, a blood meter size of a shoe box better than wee tests, takes 2 mins to give result. Here are your plastic syringes and disposable needles, are you watching your lines?

Now 36 years old, new insulin no dividing to do all U100 nice and simple.

Now 46 years old, new pen injectors no mixing of insulins one fast acting one slow. I can eat what I like within reason, count my carbs and inject accordingly pretend you are a pancreas and new AccuCheck blood meter size of a mobile phone.

Now 56 years old with AccuCheck Compact Plus, its own jabber, no flippin sticks to dispose of or drop on toilet floor, result within seconds and download onto AccuCheck Compass to show Dr – this Diabetes is a doddle……which goes with my now neuropathic waddle...how time changes everything ..stop now before I break into a song ....

I'm very sorry about this but when I got to the bit where you said 'Can't eat chips anymore' I went into meltdown then denial then went and hid behind the settee. Please, please please let's have the song.

Oh by the way a very warm welcome to the forum. I am Geoff, very pleased to meet you 🙂

Welcome to the forum! I enjoyed your post as its amazing to see how things have changed in the world of diabetes of the years! Xx

Welcome! Loved your brief history of diabetes!

What a fab post! Welcome to the forum 🙂

Hello and welcome Simone 🙂

What a great post 🙂

It took me back to those heady days when insulin wasn't u100 and a Clinitest urine testing kit was the in thing for a hip happening teenager to carry around!

10 drops of water, 5 drops of wee - ooh, burnt orange, love that colour ..... much more modern than that boring blue, I always think .....

You will gather I really don't have a clue what either of you could possibly be on about ?

Now - 1 exchange = 7 chips apparently (we didn't call em lines in Kidderminster, they did in Coventry though apparently) - however I worked out pretty quick that it's best not to eat them during the summer, because Old potatoes make much bigger chips than New ones do.

Makes you howl now, doesn't it?

10 drops of water, 5 drops of wee - ooh, burnt orange, love that colour ..... much more modern than that boring blue, I always think .....

You will gather I really don't have a clue what either of you could possibly be on about ?

Now - 1 exchange = 7 chips apparently (we didn't call em lines in Kidderminster, they did in Coventry though apparently) - however I worked out pretty quick that it's best not to eat them during the summer, because Old potatoes make much bigger chips than New ones do.

Makes you howl now, doesn't it?

Black lines and red lines. Blimey missus now you're talking. I was given the ring bound book called Countdown and in it supposedly was every processed food that was then produced for the UK Market. In there was a Heinz dessert pudding which had something like 1500g of carbohydrate in it. I used to sit and think as a kid 'Who the hell would try to eat that?' A couple of years later I went to a New Years Eve party and my mates mum had bought one. I was that drunk I tried a slice and then another and then another and then spent the next 14 hours on the toilet passing ketones. Oh how we laughed as I bordered on ketoacidosis. (Please note in light of my recent post regarding injecting while driving I didn't really go into ketoacidosis as this would be highly irresponsible of me and I am only trying to inject humour. Also HJ Heinz are a responsible food manufacturer and had no part in my teenage drunken behaviour. No children or animals were hurt in the creation of this forum post.)

We called them exchanges as well. Egg sized potato = 10g CHO, etc. Free foods - no not something scavenged from a bin at the back of Morrisons or some weight watchers diet plan but those without any carbs in.

Welcome to the forum Simone. 🙂

Now - 1 exchange = 7 chips apparently
I was robbed then as was always taught 6 chips = 1 exchange (10 carbs). Please can I have the missing chips? :D

Hello and welcome Simone 🙂

What a great post 🙂

It took me back to those heady days when insulin wasn't u100 and a Clinitest urine testing kit was the in thing for a hip happening teenager to carry around!

Thank you can you remember the ketone one which was easier just one drop of wee on that purple heart looking tablet....

I was robbed then as was always taught 6 chips = 1 exchange (10 carbs). Please can I have the missing chips? :D

You mean I could've eaten 78 chips and used up all my daily exchanges, wow how filling I wish I'd known (sarcastic giggle) , can you tell me Sue how you have coped with 51 years of the blasted condition, have you any follow up conditions (complications) you mention Addisions which is another immune system disease I believe?

What a fab post! Welcome to the forum 🙂
How do you get all that info below the dotted line which looks like it shows on each post you do?

Hi Simone and welcome to the forum ( sound like it should be in Rome🙂) Boy am I glad I wasn't in this club when I was younger.

How do you get all that info below the dotted line which looks like it shows on each post you do?
Hi welcome
If you click on your name on the top blue line , then on signature in the drop down box you can add any info that you wish to show in each post

You mean I could've eaten 78 chips and used up all my daily exchanges, wow how filling I wish I'd known (sarcastic giggle) , can you tell me Sue how you have coped with 51 years of the blasted condition, have you any follow up conditions (complications) you mention Addisions which is another immune system disease I believe?
Hi Simone,
I've not really had a problem coping because I know no different as diagnosed at 4 1/2 years old. Like everyone else though I do get frustrated when things don't go to plan or unexpected highs or lows.
Diabetes complications I have none so far, do have Addison's under active thyroid and coeliac which you can get even if non diabetic.

Welcome to the forum, Simone. Really interesting reading your potted history of life with type 1 diabetes. What else is important and fun in your life?

We called them exchanges as well. Egg sized potato = 10g CHO, etc. 🙂

Again - I assumed that must be an ostrich one, not a quail !

(I didn't really, possibly that's why I'm still here ....)

Hi Simone and welcome to the forum ( sound like it should be in Rome🙂) Boy am I glad I wasn't in this club when I was younger.
Rome ... I'm not that old .... feel it some days ... but no not that old !! Lol 😛

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back