life at uni for type 1's

Status
Not open for further replies.
BSc Marine Biology at University of Newcastle upon Tyne, too. I remember lots of nordic skiing meeting at Bacchus, which was actually a pub, not a wine bar. I chose university on basis of academic standing, courses available, proximity to mountains and sea (turned out even better than I expected with fell walking & nordic skiing, Sunday trips to Lake District, evening trips to dry skiing at Catterick & Edinburgh, weekend trips to Cairngorms, coast at any time, roller skiing in Exhibition Park, New Year ski trip to Norway [but ferry has stopped running]) Back there to work for a year a couple of years back - added orienteering, which I hadn't discovered first time round. City still great.
MSc Environmental Technology (Health & Environment) at Imperial College, London, with research project in Belfast. Worked a bit more, explored slightly less that time around.

BSc Marine Biology at University of Newcastle upon Tyne, too. I remember lots of nordic skiing meeting at Bacchus, which was actually a pub, not a wine bar. I chose university on basis of academic standing, courses available, proximity to mountains and sea (turned out even better than I expected with fell walking & nordic skiing, Sunday trips to Lake District, evening trips to dry skiing at Catterick & Edinburgh, weekend trips to Cairngorms, coast at any time, roller skiing in Exhibition Park, New Year ski trip to Norway [but ferry has stopped running]) Back there to work for a year a couple of years back - added orienteering, which I hadn't discovered first time round. City still great.
MSc Environmental Technology (Health & Environment) at Imperial College, London, with research project in Belfast. Worked a bit more, explored slightly less that time around.

ohhh when we you in newcastle? i was there between 1982-88 with a little practice break in the middle!!

ohhh when we you in newcastle? i was there between 1982-88 with a little practice break in the middle!!
Reply by PM.

I love the life in this thread! Yay.

Like Bev, I go through times of feeling worried sick about what will happen when E goes to uni...

But I'm really encouraged by a lot of things here: I've always thought that things probably settled a bit (eg no night testing necessary); and that responsibility will probably come quite easily. I'm really impressed by the parents that actually *hand over* responsibility to the teen...This does seem crucial. I think it will be hard. But I can really see how it will have to happen.

We also allow E to drink tiny amounts at home. He doesn't like it, truth be told, but he is always offered and sometimes takes it up. He has become less keen since diagnosis, and is obviously actually even more risk-averse than ever! I can't imagine him doing anything else more sinister either -- though I did, since we are spilling beans. He's just very, very 'danger' aware, and always has been.

Ordering prescriptions, yes, I can see that. Great idea. He already alerts us when supplies are running low, just in case...

Tom, I'm curious whether you think you'll use sensors? I really hope so. They seem such a great resource when you are living a busy, rather irregular life...

Thanks for all this. TRULY. Last night when we tested I kept thinking I wasn't sure how he would cope. Feel better this morning because of this thread!

Hello,

Sorry late replying to this thread and theres already lots of good advice.

I was diagnosed at 18 in my last (4th) year at Uni.

On the whole my diabetes never really affected anything apart from one very minor incident the first time I went out drinking after being daignosed. Not sure if I'd had too much to drink or not enough to eat but I started 'feeling funny'. Luckily the guys I were out with all knew I was diabetic and got me a pint of full sugar coke from the bar (for free!) and that sorted me out. I've never had any problems since then.

As for the whole night time testing, I can understand why you guys do it at the moment as parents and guardians watching over your young children. However, would you really want them to be waking up at 3am every night for the rest of their lives when the majority of the time their sugar will be OK?

As long as they are testing before bed, and eating a snack on the way home (or when they get home) after drinking thats all they should need to do.

I think as you get older and take more independent control of your diabetes you quickly realise the warning signs. I've always woken up if I hypo through the night and I can tell straight away that I'm low. For one thing you wake up wide awake (not sleepy or groggy - you are fully alert) then I normally realise I'm sweating a lot and thats when I get the meter out and check. I've been down in the 1's and 2's and so far have always been aware enough to sort myself out (used to be lucozade and a biscuit, but now it's 200ml fruit juice and a biscuit)

Hope this helps,

NiVZ

P.S I did a BSc Computer Science ;o)

Last edited:
Hi NiVZ

Thanks for more helpful thoughts, phew!

We don't always test at night, only when we know he's at the tail end of a bolus, or when we are unsure what his levels have been doing at night -- but in truth this is more often than not. Things are just not as stable with children, I suspect.

I also suspect that children are less likely to wake up when hypo? E has only woken two times I think...And we've found when we've tested him many many more hypos, some as low as in the 1's etc which he is just sleeping straight through...This is what is so scary. He doesn't wake, literally 99% of the time. So I'm sure this is what contributes to the uni fear -- but by all accounts, this kind of hypo-ing, and not waking for it, maybe is just less frequent? I don't know...

Thanks, though. So good to hear all this.

(eg no night testing necessary) I'm really impressed by the parents that actually *hand over* responsibility to the teen...This does seem crucial.
We also allow E to drink tiny amounts at home. He doesn't like it

Tom, I'm curious whether you think you'll use sensors? I really hope so. They seem such a great resource when you are living a busy, rather irregular life...

First off, my parents were great and let me deal with it all for a while. I've been managing myself throughout sixth form and a little bit before. The sooner E can learn to look after his diabetes management himself the better really.

As for not liking drinking, well, I do like a few but I'm the teetotaller in my flat (I say that with a five litre keg of Hieneken next to me) as I barely drink when we're out on the town. Drinking is mandatory as a student it seems!

I will use the sensors if I get the funding for them, it'd be a shame not to. I reckon it would make starting on a pump a bit easier.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back