Licence renewal.

I think that it isn't the diabetes, it being type 2, but having a different medical condition which is the reason for the medical involvement.
For the first one I needed to see the GP and he started off asking about the diabetes, then looked puzzled and realised it was about the sleep apnoea, just ticked all the boxes and said 'that looks fine' and the licence appeared in due course.
I just applied for my second 3 year licence and only after being rejected did it dawn on me (having forgotten about the interview with the GP) that it is the sleep apnoea not diabetes at all - so went to the optician for an eye check, filled in the forms and it seems to be OK. My licence is good until the end of September anyway.
I need to try to keep my licence as it is the only photo ID I have.

Unbelievable - my new licence arrived today, dated from 23 August. So less than 4 weeks from start to finish, including the eye test. I must be one of the lucky ones!!

Unbelievable - my new licence arrived today, dated from 23 August. So less than 4 weeks from start to finish, including the eye test. I must be one of the lucky ones!!
I think you may well be. We're hoping our son's will have arrived while we've been in Cornwall this week. It's been 16 weeks since he applied, 14 weeks since his eye test and 8 weeks since they got the letter from his consultant.

I think you may well be. We're hoping our son's will have arrived while we've been in Cornwall this week. It's been 16 weeks since he applied, 14 weeks since his eye test and 8 weeks since they got the letter from his consultant.
When I had the problem before I wrote and sent Special Delivery. Only then did they sort things out.

My licence is coming up for renewal shortly. I recall last time it was 2021 and I had a terrible time getting any response from the DVLA. In the end my GP had to certify me fit to drive until the licence was sorted out. As I also have glaucoma I need to have an eye test, I can't just renew online. Any suggestions how far in advance I need to start chasing?
On a different driving related subject, my insurance renewal is due. I've driven for 52 years, have 14 years no claims bonus, no convictions, mileage of less than 6500 a year. Last year I paid around £250 fully comprehensive. One of the quotes this year was £1,220!! Needless to say I rejected it!
ive had experience of DVLA not sending me a reminder in the post. i think you can start reapplying before its due just check on DVLA website.

insurance could be age, type of car, medical background and general increases, other people insured on the car .... my dads is that expensive but mine is about half that. i usually contact my insurers after a quote and they reduce it right back down to the previous years quote.

ive had experience of DVLA not sending me a reminder in the post. i think you can start reapplying before its due just check on DVLA website.

insurance could be age, type of car, medical background and general increases, other people insured on the car .... my dads is that expensive but mine is about half that. i usually contact my insurers after a quote and they reduce it right back down to the previous years quote.
Everything went smoothly this time. From receiving the reminder to getting the licence back it was less than 4 weeks. And I got a very good insurance quote which I accepted - thanks GoCompare!

Everything went smoothly this time. From receiving the reminder to getting the licence back it was less than 4 weeks. And I got a very good insurance quote which I accepted - thanks GoCompare!
Our youngest's new licence has finally turned up - Hooray..!! - 4 months after he applied to renew it. He had his field vision test at Specsavers just days after applying (they actually couldn't understand why he'd been sent) and we know that the DVLA got a reply from his neurology consultant on 5th July, so why it's taken all this time goodness knows. A combination of WFH and holidays is my guess. He's continued to drive under Section 88 as he met the criteria, and we figured that his consultant must have given the DVLA the all clear otherwise he would have been told to stop driving weeks ago.

Next renewal in 2029 will be interesting as he's been discharged by the Eye Clinic and by his Neurology Consultant because he hasn't developed ANY of the possible complications from his genetic condition and is now unlikely to do so as they are rare in children and even rarer in adults. Whether this cuts any ice with the DVLA we'll have to wait and see.

Gives me hope then @Martin.A I applied for mine in May and despite phoning them at least twice, it’s still not here. This is the longest it’s ever taken. Mine’s been approved (was approved in May) but is just sitting there waiting to be issued to me. It’s very frustrating!

Our youngest's new licence has finally turned up - Hooray..!! - 4 months after he applied to renew it. He had his field vision test at Specsavers just days after applying (they actually couldn't understand why he'd been sent) and we know that the DVLA got a reply from his neurology consultant on 5th July, so why it's taken all this time goodness knows. A combination of WFH and holidays is my guess. He's continued to drive under Section 88 as he met the criteria, and we figured that his consultant must have given the DVLA the all clear otherwise he would have been told to stop driving weeks ago.

Next renewal in 2029 will be interesting as he's been discharged by the Eye Clinic and by his Neurology Consultant because he hasn't developed ANY of the possible complications from his genetic condition and is now unlikely to do so as they are rare in children and even rarer in adults. Whether this cuts any ice with the DVLA we'll have to wait and see.
Very pleased for him - at last!

Back