Libre view report estimated A1c calculation appears to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you’re asking why the discrepancy between what Librelink and Libreview show, are you sure they are using the same data? The screen shot you’ve posted shows it’s using '33 of 90 days, so one months worth, is the Libreview the same?
The libre view report can be set anywhere from 7 days to 90 days and it is showing exactly the same result whatever I set it to.

Yep! Mine is equally inaccurate.
The Estimated value reported on LibreLink is consistently over 20% different from my blood test HBa1C

And I don't care!

I know they are measuring different things. I care that my HBA1c is as low as possible without experiencing too many hypos and it is not rising.
Is your Dr OK with that, or do you not send the reports?

Is your Dr OK with that, or do you not send the reports?
I do not send any reports. My DSN has access to LibreView if she wants to look at it.
She is happy with my diabetes management.

My GP has nothing to do with my diabetes care.

I do not send any reports. My DSN has access to LibreView if she wants to look at it.
She is happy with my diabetes management.

My GP has nothing to do with my diabetes care.
Ahh right. Your DSN is probably well aware of the discrepancy, when I was talking to my GP yesterday I got the impression that her diabetes knowledge is quite limited. I think I will send pages from my libre link app which at least correlate with my actual HBA1c. But thank you for confirming it is not just me.

I
Then don’t send it to your doctor. It’s just an estimate. Your HbA1C is the important thing.
I’ve done some research into why the two results may be so different. Apparently chronic kidney disease artificially lowers HBA1c. I have quite a few risk factors for chronic kidney disease, I had pre-eclampsia twice, which damages your kidneys and I have been on ACE inhibitors for nearly thirty years which also damages your kidneys. So not telling the Dr about this discrepancy might not be such a good idea. At least at an estimate of 40 it is still below the pre diabetic limit, but maybe I should be asking for a kidney function test.

I

I’ve done some research into why the two results may be so different. Apparently chronic kidney disease artificially lowers HBA1c. I have quite a few risk factors for chronic kidney disease, I had pre-eclampsia twice, which damages your kidneys and I have been on ACE inhibitors for nearly thirty years which also damages your kidneys. So not telling the Dr about this discrepancy might not be such a good idea. At least at an estimate of 40 it is still below the pre diabetic limit, but maybe I should be asking for a kidney function test.
Usually that would be included in the blood tests that are done for your annual review or when you had your diagnosis. Also if you are taking blood pressure or other medications they should be done periodically.
The most reliable test to know where you are with your diabetes is the HbA1C done from a venous blood sample from your arm. The other tests done from a finger will be from capillary blood so probably subject to more variation anyway.

Usually that would be included in the blood tests that are done for your annual review or when you had your diagnosis. Also if you are taking blood pressure or other medications they should be done periodically.
The most reliable test to know where you are with your diabetes is the HbA1C done from a venous blood sample from your arm. The other tests done from a finger will be from capillary blood so probably subject to more variation anyway.
I moved house during the pandemic and didn’t have any blood tests done for nearly 3 years. I had bloods done in January, LFT’s but I don’t know if kidney function was done, glucose wasn’t done at that time. My current GP says she still hasn’t received my medical records from my previous GP. My previous GP surgery says my notes have never been requested. So there has been a complete break down in the continuity of care. I was diagnosed with essential hypertension after my first child when I was 37 (I also had pcos). I am now 63 so have been on medication for hypertension for a long time, and used to have comprehensive bloods done once a year, not knowing my previous history I suspect the bare minimum of blood tests were done in January (One gold top was taken instead of 2 gold tops a purple for FBC, and a grey for fasting glucose). Unfortunately I have never met my new Dr just had a couple of quick telephone conversations with her.

What are you sending the reports to your dr for? Surely if your actual hba1c is 32 they’re not going to recommend any changes based on your libre reports unless they show you’re having loads of hypos. I can’t imagine why they’d even want to look at them if you’re not reporting any bg problems.

I am puzzled why you think you are diabetic or even in the prediabetes range with an HbA1C of considerably less than the threshold. Have you been told in the past that you are in the 'at risk' category. If that was the case then the actions you have taken have been successful but are you now feeling that this is too low an HbA1C and your GP should be concerned about that. Many here would be over the moon with a level like you have.

I am puzzled why you think you are diabetic or even in the prediabetes range with an HbA1C of considerably less than the threshold. Have you been told in the past that you are in the 'at risk' category. If that was the case then the actions you have taken have been successful but are you now feeling that this is too low an HbA1C and your GP should be concerned about that. Many here would be over the moon with a level like you have.
My HBA1c was 44 in March prediabetic, made a few changes now 32. Using libre 2 to assess foods that spike me. libre link estimates HBA1c at 33, libre view report estimated at 40. I am just struggling to understand why the massive difference between libre links estimate and libre views report. Plus I told my Dr I was using libre 2 and would send her the report, not realising it estimates my HBA1c as 40.

My HBA1c was 44 in March prediabetic, made a few changes now 32. Using libre 2 to assess foods that spike me. libre link estimates HBA1c at 33, libre view report estimated at 40. I am just struggling to understand why the massive difference between libre links estimate and libre views report. Plus I told my Dr I was using libre 2 and would send her the report, not realising it estimates my HBA1c as 40.
As others have mentioned it is just an estimate so the best thing is to ask for an HbA1C from your GP as it is now 3 months since the last test you had in March which I assume was through the official channels so you are then comparing like with like.

As others have mentioned it is just an estimate so the best thing is to ask for an HbA1C from your GP as it is now 3 months since the last test you had in March which I assume was through the official channels so you are then comparing like with like.
I have had a private test which is now 32. My surgery will only do a HBA1c annually.

I have had a private test which is now 32. My surgery will only do a HBA1c annually.
That is terrible, many surgeries will do a test after 3 months to check if the lifestyle changes people have made are being effective.
NICE guidelines suggest every 3-6 months until level is stable post diagnosis and every 6 months after that once stable but that usually stretches to 12 months.
On second thoughts, I suppose that may not apply as you were not over the threshold into the diabetic zone

Last edited:
That is terrible, many surgeries will do a test after 3 months to check if the lifestyle changes people have made are being effective.
NICE guidelines suggest every 3-6 months until level is stable post diagnosis and every 6 months after that once stable but that usually stretches to 12 months.
On second thoughts, I suppose that may not apply as you were not over the threshold into the diabetic zone
Precisely, it is pretty terrible and a postcode lottery, some nhs trusts will do it every 3 months even for prediabetes but some simply won’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back