Libre sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw....as its DVLA in the convo, when would I know they got my paperwork for being on medication for Diabetes. Do they get in touch? Sent couple weeks ago. 🙂

They will be in touch when they have made their enquiries with the medics. I don't know if they have already sent you a declaration form to sign or an application for a 'medical' 3 year licence but they will inform you if your new licence is being processed or if they are revoking your licence but it took me 8 weeks in total to get new licence.

They will be in touch when they have made their enquiries with the medics. I don't know if they have already sent you a declaration form to sign or an application for a 'medical' 3 year licence but they will inform you if your new licence is being processed or if they are revoking your licence but it took me 8 weeks in total to get new licence.
Thanks.

Brando is on Gliclazide, not insulin. They don't restrict your licence for that do they? I think you just have to test before driving.

Brando is on Gliclazide, not insulin. They don't restrict your licence for that do they? I think you just have to test before driving.
Yes Robin. I didn't realize Brando was on Gliclazide. The DVLA will only be interested if he has any possibility of hypos. His post says he has sent paperwork to DVLA informing them of his diabetes.. They will obviously inform him of the rules concerning need to inform them. I believe there is no requirement to even test before driving when on Metformin or Gliclazide.

Last edited:
Yes Robin. I didn't realize Brando was on Gliclazide. The DVLA will only be interested if he has any possibility of hypos. His post says he has sent paperwork to DVLA informing them of his diabetes.. They will obviously inform him of the rules concerning need to inform them. I believe there is no requirement to even test before driving when on Metformin or Gliclazide.
I think it's recommended that you test before driving if you're on Gliclazide, but if I recall correctly, the actual DVLA wording is as clear as mud. There is a requirement to inform the DVLA, (if you are on tablets only) if your doctor tells you to.

I think it's recommended that you test before driving if you're on Gliclazide, but if I recall correctly, the actual DVLA wording is as clear as mud. There is a requirement to inform the DVLA, (if you are on tablets only) if your doctor tells you to.
There is such a long list of notifiable conditions and of course you are obviously correct in saying when your doctors tell you to inform the DVLA you must do so. There are also requirements regarding eyesight.
I must admit when they put me on insulin therapy I had to ask the doctor if I should inform the DVLA and he had to look on the internet. Also if you're only on some of these drugs for a short period then I think there's no requirement to inform. Clear as mud as you say.

Last edited:
Ahhh, so I didn't even have to inform them? Oh well, safe than sorry, still test in the morning before driving or doing anything and I even tested 2hrs into my 8mile stuck in snow traffic jam Tues morning.
Thanks for info folks.....this is better than Google.

Something I find especially cynical about the Libre sensor marketing is that they only last 10 days in the US, when clearly they can work for 14 days here! 😱 :( In the UK they are £49 to the individual as you don't pay the VAT if you have diabetes 🙂

They also take 12 hours to initiate instead of one hour for us. But, then again they are cheaper so the cost probably works out about the same.

If I used your final comment regarding the cost of test strips and also self financed the Libre starter pack what chance do you think I would stand of getting the sensors on the NHS assuming my health authority sanctions use of this equipment? Zero?

Go and ask your GP. I asked mine a few weeks ago and he referred me to the diabetic clinic. Had my appt with them yesterday and they agreed to prescribe the sensors for me.

Ahhh, so I didn't even have to inform them? Oh well, safe than sorry, still test in the morning before driving or doing anything and I even tested 2hrs into my 8mile stuck in snow traffic jam Tues morning.
Thanks for info folks.....this is better than Google.
There is no harm in informing them and if you have informed them who your doctor is they may check with them anyway. DVLA would probably ask your doctor if you are likely to experience hypos; If you are then the DVLA would only want to know if you had assistance when experiencing a hypo (and a bad one at that) The rule is 5 to drive so try not to drive below 5. If you feel hypo come on whilst driving then obviously pull over when safe and start chewing the jelly babies.

There is no harm in informing them and if you have informed them who your doctor is they may check with them anyway. DVLA would probably ask your doctor if you are likely to experience hypos; If you are then the DVLA would only want to know if you had assistance when experiencing a hypo (and a bad one at that) The rule is 5 to drive so try not to drive below 5. If you feel hypo come on whilst driving then obviously pull over when safe and start chewing the jelly babies.
Yeah, the form asked if I had any hypos. I check at the beginning of each journey and checked when I was stuck on the snowed in Mway Tues after 2hrs. My longest commutes are just over an hour on normal days.
Btw, my jelly babies in the car are frozen but the dextrose is alright 🙂

Edited because I'd already mentioned my snowed in travels DOH!

Oh well....I may keep my licence, well thank you boss!
image.jpeg

Oh well....I may keep my licence, well thank you boss!
View attachment 7113
Unfortunately Brando it is in their power to allow you to retain your licence or simply revoke it. But they have confirmed that you did not need to write to them. You at least know you do not need to have a 3 year 'medical' licence. Well unless you have to go on insulin or the doc says you must report it.

Unfortunately Brando it is in their power to allow you to retain your licence or simply revoke it. But they have confirmed that you did not need to write to them. You at least know you do not need to have a 3 year 'medical' licence. Well unless you have to go on insulin or the doc says you must report it.
I know, just the 'You may' made me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back