Libre Sensors - Try again in 10 minutes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Workman

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I didn't want to start a new thread as its Libre sensor related so thought I'd ask on here. Do any of you guys get intermittent problems with your libre sensor actually working. Its been happening to me more lately. I'll test and it takes the reading. Then I go to test 10 mins later and it says error and can't take a reading. I leave it a few minutes and hey ho it works again. Its quite frustrating.

Also where do you apply your sensors? I don't have much loose flesh but apply mine about half way up on my upper arm between my elbow and shoulder joint round towards the back side of my arm. Not sure if this is the best place but it is the most fleshy part of my arm.

@Simon Workman no I cant say I've had that specific problem but on a few occasions I have attempted to scan and had an error message telling me to try again in 10 minutes and its always started reading again

Yes that's the correct place to be applying the sensor, here are 2 of mine (although they seem to be in a relatively similar position given the pictures are 2 years apart! lol) as you can see I don't have much flabby flesh either! haha xx
placement 2.jpg placement one.jpg

I didn't want to start a new thread as its Libre sensor related so thought I'd ask on here. Do any of you guys get intermittent problems with your libre sensor actually working. Its been happening to me more lately. I'll test and it takes the reading. Then I go to test 10 mins later and it says error and can't take a reading. I leave it a few minutes and hey ho it works again. Its quite frustrating.

Also where do you apply your sensors? I don't have much loose flesh but apply mine about half way up on my upper arm between my elbow and shoulder joint round towards the back side of my arm. Not sure if this is the best place but it is the most fleshy part of my arm.

I’ve had the ‘10 minute’ message when my BGs have been moving erratically for some time. I believe it’s triggered by the sensor signal exceeding various parameters and the sensor thinking “Hmmmm ... this might not be right” so it takes a 10 min timeout to see if the signal becomes more apparently reliable.

The position you describe is the only officially sanctioned location. People do try other areas, but Abbott’s research shows that anywhere other than the back of the arm gives less reliable information. YDMV, of course.

I have been getting this error for about half an hour, I wait the 10 minutes and it still doesn’t work

I have had this happen during the night. I may have been lying on the sensor. Back to normal when I tried next morning. History was complete and didn't show anything significant. On the negative side, if my memory is correct, it may be the first indication of a failing sensor. If so, it is always worth asking for a replacement (they send an envelope to return the faulty one).

I got the message last week. No problem later, and the sensor is still working just fine. As Mike says, it may happen if your BG level is changing quickly, or even if there is a sudden change in ambient temperature. It certainly doesn’t indicate a failing sensor, because I’ve had the same message on occasion for the past three years, and I’ve not had a sensor fail. So it looks like some sensors get grumpy for a while. Don’t we all?

For sure, I got more error messages from blood testing than the Libre.

When I was on libre I would get this if my sugars were moving to fast. I know it can be frustrating but as long as it works after the 10 mins you should be fine.

I had this intermittently but it was usually when my levels were changing rapidly. It then worked after 10 min.

I have been getting this error for about half an hour, I wait the 10 minutes and it still doesn’t work

I think if you get it repeatedly the sensor may be starting to struggle, perhaps it is coming loose, or maybe it didn’t insert perfectly and the sensor glucose signal is becoming erratic.

Hope you managed to get it started again, but if not I’d call Abbott on Monday.

I couldn’t get it to work after 2 hours, it said I needed to put on a new sensor.
They are sending me a replacement in the post and asked me to send this one back.
The needle bit didn’t look how the others have when I’ve taken them off in the past so I think it was just a faulty one x

I couldn’t get it to work after 2 hours, it said I needed to put on a new sensor.
They are sending me a replacement in the post and asked me to send this one back.
The needle bit didn’t look how the others have when I’ve taken them off in the past so I think it was just a faulty one x

Good to know you are getting a replacement Phoebe

Only use app except when starting sensor, cant ever recall getting this 10 min message, only error message is scan error when not connecting with sensor properly, even then you can re scan straight away.

Hi Simon are you still having problems? Been on FSL since the end of November and should have used, by rights, 4 sensors actually now had 7 with 3 failures. It displays "try again in 10 minutes" and error 363 in the log. Sometimes starts again soon after but more often than not stops working for a few hours.
Abbotts have replaced them straight away without question but it's obviously frustrating and a bit of a pain.

I only very very rarely get the ‘try again in 10 minutes’ message, and then most often when my BG is rapidly changing direction and the sensor gets a bit freaked out and wants to check itself. I’ve been using Libre off and on since 2014, and used them pretty regularly for a couple of years.

Frustrating for you to have had so many go wonky and that didn't make the distance. :(

Mine always run for the full 14 days too.

I've posted on a different thread about the same issue a while ago with Libre 1 sensors. I've noticed with my most recent sensor that I was receiving lower than normal (or constantly low) readings, yet no error codes. When I removed the sensor the probe was bent, very similar to the previous sensor which did have these error codes.

I'm not sure if it may be caused by applying pressure to the sensor whilst sleeping, or initially caused when applying sensor for the first time. Has anyone had similar experiences to this?

I can echo @Dave Ingrey that Abbott is very good at replacing the damaged sensor, which they will then investigate once returned in the pre-paid biohazard bag/envelope provided with the replacement.

I only very very rarely get the ‘try again in 10 minutes’ message, and then most often when my BG is rapidly changing direction and the sensor gets a bit freaked out and wants to check itself. I’ve been using Libre off and on since 2014, and used them pretty regularly for a couple of years.

Frustrating for you to have had so many go wonky and that didn't make the distance. :(

Mine always run for the full 14 days too.
Mmm thanks for the reply, since I posted yesterday the one I fitted Friday night has started playing up again, "try again 10 minutes" just before I went to bed, working when I woke up, packed up at lunch today for an hour, working as I type, bit hit and miss to the say the least. Still using the type 1sensors at present as according to my diabetic nurse the new type 2 order code are not on their procurement system yet.
Also wondered if it was affected by my drugs regime. Been on targeted oncology medication since November as well as beta blockers and blood thinners. May be struggling to get an accurate reading with that lot.
Will persevere!

I've posted on a different thread about the same issue a while ago with Libre 1 sensors. I've noticed with my most recent sensor that I was receiving lower than normal (or constantly low) readings, yet no error codes. When I removed the sensor the probe was bent, very similar to the previous sensor which did have these error codes.

I'm not sure if it may be caused by applying pressure to the sensor whilst sleeping, or initially caused when applying sensor for the first time. Has anyone had similar experiences to this?

I can echo @Dave Ingrey that Abbott is very good at replacing the damaged sensor, which they will then investigate once returned in the pre-paid biohazard bag/envelope provided with the replacement.
Thanks Daniel did wonder if it was my application of the sensor but been pretty careful of late, following the instructions to the letter.
Not overweight so also wondered if there was enough flesh on my upper arm or if the probe was being moved internally but it fails pretty much any time during the day according to the graph, indicating loss of data 2 or 3 times since yesterday throughout a 24 hour period.
Could well be my drugs regime, as I'm also on targeted oncology drugs as well as beta blockers and blood thinners.
Will carry on as beats the finger pricking!

I apply my sensor on my upper arm, quite high up, definitely not half way between elbow and shoulder. It is on the back of my arm heading underneath.
Being a climber ,when there's no pandemic (and a baker who needs by hand when there is a pandemic), I have no flab and a fair amount of muscle but have no problems finding a site.
The hardest thing for me is finding an area the size of the sensor which is flat.
Rarely use the official app. XDrip has not reported problems reading the sensor.
I have had issues where the reading s go haywire and I check with the LibreLink app to find the sensor is reporting a fault and requesting I change it. Abbott have always replaced for free.

(I am incredibly privileged to get Libre on prescription. I never want to abuse this privilege so always report faulty sensors. NHS has enough financial problems without having to fund faulty sensors.)

Thanks Helli yep sensor is in pretty much the same position. Also lucky enough to get them on prescription so will persevere!

My second sensor gave the sensor error (repeat in10 mins) on first scan, then repeated errors every day. Contacted Abbott after a few days and they sent a new sensor. Not used many sensors, but do get the odd error. Request for a replacement would depend on how long used sensor, when first error occurred and frequency. I try to follow application guide to the best I can.
Only had one error when using right arm, I do tend to lean on left arm so might be stressing sensor.
I think the replaced sensor had gaps in the graphs even though no sensor errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back