Libre sensor and self-consciousness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Vincent

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone. This is my first post here, I joined hoping I can talk a few things through with you guys.

Bit of background - I've been diabetic since I was 11, am 38 now, and have been a pump user for quite a few years. My control in general isn't terrible and has improved massively with the pump but is always a bit up and down as I find it hard balancing highs and lows with food and my job as a horticulturist and I'm now starting to get a bit of retinopathy. I've used the Libre 1 sensor in the past as a couple of one-offs, but have now been prescribed the Libre 2 to use more regularly.

I'm quite a private person about my diabetes. The pump made a huge difference to me in being able to be more discrete about dosing insulin (I've always hated injecting in public and still get very anxious about testing blood sugars in front of people). In theory the Libre should be even more discrete and I did enjoy the tech and graphs and stuff that it produces which are easy to view and analyse but I'm worrying more about the practical complications of it such as wearing yet another thing plugged into my body, knocking it, the effect of suncream on the adhesive, etc.

My main, and somewhat trivial, issue I suppose is trying to get my head around wearing the Libre on my arm, quite visibly, especially as during the summer I'm always in short sleeved tshirts. I'm wondering if there are any ways that other people have used to cover the sensor up and make it less obvious? I've looked into arm sleeves which would also double up as extra sun protection while I'm at work, except no one else wears them so in my mind that would also attract unwanted attention. I know I'm totally overthinking this.

I want to give the sensor a go as I'm sure it will be hugely beneficial to my control and know that I shouldn't care what other people think. I'm just getting myself into a really wobbly headspace about it all and could do with chatting it through / getting some reassurance.

I'm sorry if that's a bit long and waffly. I hope it makes sense and that someone else might understand that diabetes really is a complicated condition on many levels. Thank you for reading, hope you're all having a pleasant Sunday morning 🙂

I completely understand where you are coming from. I don’t want to be judged by diabetes and don’t want it on display. For this reason, I had a love-hate relationship with my first pump because I could not hide it. My current pump is much more discrete.

So I understand your concern with the Libre. I tend to place mine very high up my arm so it cannot be seen when I am wearing short sleeves. It is only approved to wear on your arm but I know some people have place their’s on other parts such as on the chest of leg.

Being slim, I have not had a problem with knocking my sensor off. At first, I found my bra strap would catch it but I am used to having it there now so it is not a problem.

My main, and somewhat trivial, issue I suppose is trying to get my head around wearing the Libre on my arm, quite visibly, especially as during the summer I'm always in short sleeved tshirts.
I usually wear short sleeved shirts, and I used to try and place the sensor so it wouldn't normally be visible, but I've just stopped worrying. Some people are curious (they didn't know I had diabetes), but otherwise I doubt anyone cares. We're British, after all: strangers can do what they want and we just don't mention it.

You see them all over the place now. Just in the last couple of months I have seen: at least two people shopping in the supermarket, a barman in a pub, and a chap who came to play football with some of the kids at the primary school I work at, all wearing a Libre. I know what it is but I never noticed anyone else asking them about it. And a couple of years ago I was buying something in the local branch of Boots, the lady behind the counter suddenly said “ooh, is that your daughter?” as she left me to go and look at something, when daughter came back the lady lifted her sleeve up and said “snap!” So as the shop wasn’t busy they then had an interesting conversation about the pros and cons of different pumps and sensors!

I totally understand where you’re coming from too.

When I first started wearing the sensors I definitely tried to keep them high up under a sleeve. Bizarrely what helped me was putting stickers on them (scooby doo atm), as for me, it made them feel less medical. I think that some of the options for trying to cover them, and I did try, actually make them more obvious. I’m more than happy to have the sensor on show now…very unlike me.

In the five years or so since I’ve been wearing them only on 3 occasions has anyone mentioned it to me. Once in a garden centre. The lady serving me was interested as her two teenagers both had diabetes and she wondered how I was getting on with it. A lady in my upholstery class thought I’d got something stuck to my arm unintentionally and politely pointed it out….poor lady was incredibly embarrassed, but very interested, when I explained, and a man behind me in a queue asked me what it was and I explained…he was also very interested.

As has already been said lots of people are wearing them. It’s the thought of something new…why not give it a go and see how you get on…. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised🙂

I position my Libre sensor in the best place for my diabetes. I wear short sleeves, dresses, vest tops, swimsuits, etc. Only one person commented on it and that was because they recognised what it was and were interested. Most people don’t notice and don’t care - because they’re too wrapped up in their own lives and concerns.

Your concern isn’t trivial - it worries you so it’s important not trivial. I was very self-conscious like you when I was first diagnosed. I still am a bit, I suppose, but to be honest I’m too busy to care much. Not only that, I see it as making other people with diabetes feel less self-conscious eg a child with diabetes would be happy to see another person wearing a Libre and going about their life.

So, I think the answer is to change the angle you’re looking at this from rather than your clothes. Nobody really cares, and if they do happen to notice it will be out of interest not to judge you 🙂

The other thing I would add is that non-diabetic athletes have started wearing Libre. So it is not necessarily a diabetic label any more.

Worn sensors on chest with great success, possibility there or could try stomach area.

Thank you everyone for all your replies! Apologies for taking so long to reply.

I really appreciate the reassurance and hearing everyone's experiences and similar concerns.

I think that half the problem is that I don't know any other diabetics myself, have never in my 27 years of being diabetic seen anyone else out in public injecting, blood testing or even wearing a sensor. I feel different enough on a daily basis (life is difficult to navigate sometimes for me) without having my diabetes on show. I am usually very open to talking about it though if people ask.

When I voiced my concern to my consultant he didn't recommend wearing it anywhere else other than upper arms so I'll start doing it properly first and wearing it higher up so it's mostly covered by my sleeves.

@Lisa66 You are right, I just need to give it a go. The first time I tried it over a year ago I really hated it but the second time a few months ago wasn't so bad. Thanks for the encouragement. 🙂

@helli That's interesting that non-diabetics are wearing it. I suppose it is very clever technology that athletes would find very useful.

@Inka I'm a very self conscious person in general. I would like to think that I could be an inspiration to others by wearing it on view though. Thank you for reminding me that most people won't be judgemental.

Sorry I haven't replied directly to everyone. Thank you all so much.

I think that half the problem is that I don't know any other diabetics myself, have never in my 27 years of being diabetic seen anyone else out in public injecting, blood testing or even wearing a sensor.
I'm not sure I have, either (other than in hospital outpatients and the like). I know I must have been in restaurants sometimes when other people have been injecting or testing (we're not that rare) and just didn't notice. Sensors have only relatively recently been widely prescribed (in the UK); I anticipate seeing them now and again in the future.

Maybe I just don't look at what other people are doing when I'm out and about. I thought that was a rare quality but actually it's more likely that most people are probably too self-involved to notice anyone else!

It's just hard though. I have other issues that play a big part in my self esteem and self confidence and diabetes really hasn't helped that over the years.

Maybe I just don't look at what other people are doing when I'm out and about. I thought that was a rare quality but actually it's more likely that most people are probably too self-involved to notice anyone else!

It's just hard though. I have other issues that play a big part in my self esteem and self confidence and diabetes really hasn't helped that over the years.
When I was a child, and feeling self conscious, my mother would say to me (imagine a withering tone) 'Nobody's looking at you, dear!' Which didn’t make me feel any better. Roll on a few years, and I realise she was actually right. Everyone's so wrapped up in their own lives they don’t actually notice what anyone else is doing/wearing.

Everyone's so wrapped up in their own lives they don’t actually notice what anyone else is doing/wearing.
And when we do notice something slightly unusual, what difference does it make to us? I'm not going to stare at someone carefully taking their pills in a restaurant, for example: it's their business.

If a friend notices I have a sensor (as has happened) they might be curious (since it's been in the news recently), and if they ask I'll explain. Again, no problem. (And strangers are unlikely to comment. None have so far, anyway.)

When I was a child, and feeling self conscious, my mother would say to me (imagine a withering tone) 'Nobody's looking at you, dear!' Which didn’t make me feel any better. Roll on a few years, and I realise she was actually right. Everyone's so wrapped up in their own lives they don’t actually notice what anyone else is doing/wearing.

That was maybe not the best way to go about it but yes that is true. But at the same time people can be really judgemental about strangers! But mostly because we've been conditioned that way. Times have changed though (or so I hope).

And when we do notice something slightly unusual, what difference does it make to us? I'm not going to stare at someone carefully taking their pills in a restaurant, for example: it's their business.

If a friend notices I have a sensor (as has happened) they might be curious (since it's been in the news recently), and if they ask I'll explain. Again, no problem. (And strangers are unlikely to comment. None have so far, anyway.)

It makes no difference really. I've definitely talked to people at work who have been curious before, but mostly because I've felt like I've had to mention that I'm testing my blood and the reason why. However, some people at work can be a bit... strange... either not respecting boundaries when it comes to personal stuff or whispering behind people's backs. I suppose that worries me a bit. But equally, I don't like them or care about their opinions enough to be concerned what they say. It's complicated!

So far I’ve seen people wearing libre/other CGMs in M&S, Tesco, Costa, church, swimming pool, train, pub… and that’s only the ones I’ve noticed and remember. You will have been around other diabetics and those wearing sensors / testing / injecting / using their pumps etc, even if you haven’t noticed it. In the same way, others won’t have noticed you dealing with your diabetes.

Please don’t think that everyone replying to you here is brimming over with self-confidence - I’m not. It takes effort, but every time you do something you find it gets easier and easier. People genuinely don’t care. If there was a video of a day in your life out and about, and you re-watched it with the thoughts of everyone in it available for you to listen to, you’d be gobsmacked at how many unconfident thoughts there were about things you didn’t even notice or saw and thought was fine. People walk around thinking all kinds of stuff. You’re not aware of it because you’re focussed on yourself - just as they’re focussed on themselves and their lives.

I bet you’ve walked past people with Type 1. You just didn’t realise - because you’re busy with your life, and they’re busy with theirs. All perfectly normal. We all have insecurities and concerns, even those you think wouldn’t. Walk proudly and wear your Libre. 🙂 Who knows, you might meet another Type 1 through doing that.

Please don’t think that everyone replying to you here is brimming over with self-confidence - I’m not. It takes effort, but every time you do something you find it gets easier and easier. People genuinely don’t care. If there was a video of a day in your life out and about, and you re-watched it with the thoughts of everyone in it available for you to listen to, you’d be gobsmacked at how many unconfident thoughts there were about things you didn’t even notice or saw and thought was fine. People walk around thinking all kinds of stuff. You’re not aware of it because you’re focussed on yourself - just as they’re focussed on themselves and their lives.

I bet you’ve walked past people with Type 1. You just didn’t realise - because you’re busy with your life, and they’re busy with theirs. All perfectly normal. We all have insecurities and concerns, even those you think wouldn’t. Walk proudly and wear your Libre. 🙂 Who knows, you might meet another Type 1 through doing that.

I never meant to imply that everyone here has it all sorted out. Apologies if that is the case. Everyone definitely has their own insecurities and worries, I would never assume otherwise. But self-consciousness is a tricky thing. When I'm feeling out of place or uncomfortable in my own skin it feels like it's the most obvious thing to everyone around me, even though I logically know no one cares or notices.

I'm going to try the Libre next weekend when I've got no where to go and can have a couple of days to figure it out.

I saw someone on Facebook recently who had his sensor covered up with one of these stickers, which I found quite amusing 🙂

wifi libre.jpg

When I was diagnosed aged 49 I suspect I was at an age where I wasn't really interested in what people might think, so made the decision not to hide my finger pricking (as we were all doing in 2008!) or injecting. I was, of course, discrete, but to me it was no different to, for example, using an asthma inhaler. I hope you can get past your concerns - the benefits of a Libre are huge, I have found 🙂

Theresa May was frequently seen in parliament when PM and otherwise with her Libre sensor plainly on view to whoever was watching the telly. She appeared to wear hers a lot nearer her elbow than I ever have though. Mind you I'm a shortarse, so quite possibly her arms are a lot longer than mine.

She may well not be your or my role model - I particularly noticed the ring where she'd had a previous one on that arm one day - O Yuk - and folk on here know I had a right rant to the forum Admin, Mike, aka @everydayupsanddowns only the other day about the very same thing, cos there's no excuse for tidemarks whoever you happen to be!) (What else haven't you bothered to wash recently? said my mother ....) :D 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back