Libre failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well, latest one didn't last long! :( Put it on yesterday, went out for a run this morning and when I got back it just fell off 😡 Obviously, I was sweating a bit, but it was clear that the adhesive hadn't worked - in fact there was very little actually on the sensor or residue left on my arm. This is very similar to the first one I put on after getting them on prescription, which also just fel off after I got a bit hot walking back from the hospital.

Obviously, I will be calling them later, but I'm beginning to lose faith a bit :( So far I've had 4 that have failed before their time - 2 dropped off within hours, one that didn't insert correctly, and one that was my own fault when I dislodged it taking off a tshirt, although I feel that even that came off a bit too easily.

It's clear they've changed the adhesive from when I was using them a year ago, and I've noticed it no longer leaves the purple welt I used to get after taking them off, but at least they stayed on! 🙄 The old adhesive fomed some sort of molecular bond with my skin forcing the removal of several layers when taking them off, now it seems it's about as effective as a Pritt stick :(

Obviously, I'll have to start using some reinforcement to secure them. I know a lot of people use Tegaderm, but how do you apply it? Is it waterproof? Do you leave it in place for the 14 days or change it? If you change it, how do you do that without ripping off the sensor?

Rant over!

Well, latest one didn't last long! :( Put it on yesterday, went out for a run this morning and when I got back it just fell off 😡 Obviously, I was sweating a bit, but it was clear that the adhesive hadn't worked - in fact there was very little actually on the sensor or residue left on my arm. This is very similar to the first one I put on after getting them on prescription, which also just fel off after I got a bit hot walking back from the hospital.

Obviously, I will be calling them later, but I'm beginning to lose faith a bit :( So far I've had 4 that have failed before their time - 2 dropped off within hours, one that didn't insert correctly, and one that was my own fault when I dislodged it taking off a tshirt, although I feel that even that came off a bit too easily.

It's clear they've changed the adhesive from when I was using them a year ago, and I've noticed it no longer leaves the purple welt I used to get after taking them off, but at least they stayed on! 🙄 The old adhesive fomed some sort of molecular bond with my skin forcing the removal of several layers when taking them off, now it seems it's about as effective as a Pritt stick :(

Obviously, I'll have to start using some reinforcement to secure them. I know a lot of people use Tegaderm, but how do you apply it? Is it waterproof? Do you leave it in place for the 14 days or change it? If you change it, how do you do that without ripping off the sensor?

Rant over!
Nooo! What a pain! I’ve just started a sensor from the new batch I got, which I think is probably the first I’ve tried with the new adhesive.
I normally put a strip of micropore tape over it, (cheap option) avoiding the hole in the centre. I’ve put two on this time, just in case.
I find I need to replace it once or twice during the life of the sensor, and what I do is, peel it off my skin both sides, and then either ease it off the sensor with sideways pressure from both sides (ie, not pulling up on the sensor, but rather pushing down on it as I peel the tape) or get the scissors and trim it close, leaving the bit stuck on the sensor, and put the new tape over the top. It’s a bit difficult when I’m doing it left handed (right handed, for you!) but I normally manage to hack through the tape and not my skin with sharp nail scissors.
3986043C-089F-488B-997F-C540F913BCD0.jpeg

Thanks @Robin, that's very helpful 🙂

I've called Abbott and they're sending (another!) replacement. I'm pretty sure they know this is a common problem because they haven't asked for the sensor back.

I find that micropore can ruffle up so I don't use it anymore

I use tegaderm, fold it in 4 and cut a hole in the centre of the 4 and just apply over the top, cut a circle of paper the size of a £2 coin and apply it over the sensor between it and the Tegaderm therefore no sticky touches the sensor so easy to replace if need be, mine can vary it may peel at the edges and it may not so I just keep a check on it, I also put a hole In the circle of the paper (excuse the awful star lol)
20190830_084425.jpg

Also I still have a purple mark from yesterdays removal!
20190830_084837.jpg
xx

I currently have some tape over mine as I felt it lifting a bit while in Dorset last week. I've got 3 days left on this sensor. I've got another one ready to put on next week for when I do the Thames Path challenge. I think they have change the adhesive on them as they don't seem as sticky.

Hi all.

There appears to be a batch with glue issue and a batch not calibrated correctly. I’ve had 5 replacement from the 2 I ordered in July. They’ve only asked for 1 out of 4 back - the one that kept reading Lo.

I put my latest one on on Sunday evening and by Tuesday lunchtime the hubby was painstakingly trimming and attaching micropore round it to hold it on as it has lifted round about 3/4 of it. It’s reading spot on so I really want it to stay put!! 10 days left to run.

I usually put a tagerderm on for the 2nd week but felt it was a bit warm and didn’t want to sweat under that and make it worse.

I have found that applying sensors late at night has been really helpful - it's key that the sensors are kept completely dry for an hour or two after applying otherwise I find they just fall off. By doing it late at night, I know I won't be showering, or dying in the heat during the day and sweating it off. Might be worth a go 🙂 for what it's worth, doing it this way I haven't lost a sensor for the last 2 years or so 🙂

We just put Tegaderm over the top and leave it there for the whole 2 weeks, don't even bother cutting a hole in the middle although I know you're supposed to! If it starts peeling up at the edges we just trim the bit that's peeling and if that leaves not much left we just slap another one over the top. Have to yank fairly hard to get them off after the two weeks! We have been using Libre continually for over 3 years now and have been doing this for almost all of that time, after we had a couple that started peeling up after a few days. When swimming I reckon you can get away with longer in the water with Tegaderm on, we went for an hour on more than one occasion and the sensor carried on working perfectly throughout, the one time we went without anything over the sensor we only stayed in the pool for the recommended half an hour and there were gaps in the graph. That might not work if you cut a hole in the middle though. We found that Micropore didn't stick strongly enough.

6x7cm is a good size Tegaderm, you should be able to buy it in a chemist, we get 50 at a time from Amazon as it's cheaper! (We know we will use them though)

Thanks everyone 🙂 Interesting about leaving a hole in the middle, the woman at the induction said it didn't matter but I wasn't entirely convinced about her expertise. I think I will get some Tegaderm if that is waterproof and can be left on for a couple of weeks. It's frustrating because the sensor was working well for it's truncated spell in the limelight! 🙂

Thanks everyone 🙂 Interesting about leaving a hole in the middle, the woman at the induction said it didn't matter but I wasn't entirely convinced about her expertise. I think I will get some Tegaderm if that is waterproof and can be left on for a couple of weeks. It's frustrating because the sensor was working well for it's truncated spell in the limelight! 🙂
check out eBay, you can pick up 10 there for around £3.30 whereas my chemist wanted 60p each xx

I think Mike @everydayupsanddowns went to a talk by the Abbot boffins who were very proud of just having tweaked the holes to provide even better ventilation, so I think they are supposed to have a purpose. (Since I discovered that I've faithfully avoided covering them, but I used to just whack the micropore over the top without problems)

I think the holes are there to allow your skin to breathe rather than anything to do with the sensor function, we had been applying Tegaderm without cutting a hole in it for many months before we learned this though and have never had any problems, so have just carried on not cutting a hole! It's entirely up to you 🙂

I think Mike @everydayupsanddowns went to a talk by the Abbot boffins who were very proud of just having tweaked the holes to provide even better ventilation, so I think they are supposed to have a purpose. (Since I discovered that I've faithfully avoided covering them, but I used to just whack the micropore over the top without problems)
It would appeal to my admiration of engineering ingenuity if the hole had a dual purpose 🙂 As I said, I didn't have a lot of faith in what the woman said, as she had told me to start up the sensor at the induction with my own reader, but then didn't know how to update it to the new version, so she gave me a new reader which (of course!) couldn't read the sensor I'd just put on! 🙄 As it fell off an hour later I was able to use the new reader on the replacement sensor.

It would appeal to my admiration of engineering ingenuity if the hole had a dual purpose 🙂 As I said, I didn't have a lot of faith in what the woman said, as she had told me to start up the sensor at the induction with my own reader, but then didn't know how to update it to the new version, so she gave me a new reader which (of course!) couldn't read the sensor I'd just put on! 🙄 As it fell off an hour later I was able to use the new reader on the replacement sensor.

What we were told was that they had just re-engineered the grooves on the underside of the plastic. The hole allows the inserter needle, but as Sally says it is also there to allow the skin under the sensor area to breathe. And also to allow any moisture that does get under during showering or bathing to escape.

Some people completely cover it and report no problems, others completely cover it and complain bitterly about skin reactions. My feeling is to accept the suggestion of the R&D peeps - but then I never need to cover my Libre sensors and I’ve only ever knocked them off rather than having them just fall off (though I’ve not tried the new adhesive yet).

Others use elasticated wraps or straps, but I think you have to be quite careful with that option or you run the risk of constantly causing a slight ‘compression low’ and affecting the sensor performance.

Last edited:
What we were told was that they had just re-engineered the grooves on the underside of the plastic. The hole allows the inserter needle, but as Sally says it is also there to allow the skin under the sensor area to breathe. And also to allow any moisture that does get under during showering or bathing to escape.
Actually, looking closer at the 'hole' I see that it is surrounded by a circle of other holes which are not related to the insertion, so it does indeed look like there is a purpose to it. I don't think they looked like that when I first used them, although maybe I never looked closely before.

libre holes.jpg

I also use Tegaderm, most of the time, and will certainly do so when I am onto the next batch, as there does appear to be an issue with change of sticky. I cut a hole after folding in four, and then stick it on. I trim any raggedy edges as the fortnight progresses, but otherwise just leave it on. I had a couple fall off in the early days but none recently. Sometimes if I catch it and have not put Tegaderm on I see the edge lifting a bit, so that prompts an application of sticky stuff.

Oh noooo not another one Alan . Their must be a bad batch or two out there.

New one feels much more secure, but I have some Tegaderm on order! 🙂

As extra measure wear a tubular bandage over it, cheap as chips in the discount stores such as Home Bargains as does the job just fine, not had sensor fall off knocked off since wearing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back