Libre Accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynne888

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I know this has been discussed before but I’ve done a search on the page and can’t find what I’m looking for. I’ve used Libre 2 in the past and it could be slightly out by about point 4. Today though there is a difference between the monitor and the libre of 1.6. I think that’s a bit much. The libre was 5.7 and the monitor 7.3. I’m assuming the monitor will be far more accurate? Anyone had similar issues? I’ve only started using the libre again this week.

I know this has been discussed before but I’ve done a search on the page and can’t find what I’m looking for. I’ve used Libre 2 in the past and it could be slightly out by about point 4. Today though there is a difference between the monitor and the libre of 1.6. I think that’s a bit much. The libre was 5.7 and the monitor 7.3. I’m assuming the monitor will be far more accurate? Anyone had similar issues? I’ve only started using the libre again this week.
I need to remind myself these things to. But two different meters could potentially show those numbers too if your actul bg is 6.5 for example as they have allowance of being withen 15%.

I don't use the libre(now on dexcom one) had problems with them just stoping working but others here have got on really well with them.

Also just to add with any cgm there is a lag time so if things are changing direction it can take a little bit to catch up

I need to remind myself these things to. But two different meters could potentially show those numbers too if your actul bg is 6.5 for example as they have allowance of being withen 15%.

I don't use the libre(now on dexcom one) had problems with them just stoping working but others here have got on really well with them.
Isn’t the dexcom one only available from Gp’s? I’d try dexcom if it was available to buy

No you can slef fund dexcom one I believe.

As they are measuring something different it is unlikely they would be exactly the same and 1.6 is not very much. Monitors are allowed a 15% accuracy anyway so the 7.3 could be +/- !5%

That makes sense. I don’t remember it being this far out before but if the end result is the same (after a lag) that’s fine!

Although the Libre is a valuable if not essential tool for those taking insulin for others, even though it can provide useful information the temptation is to over react to seeing high or low levels.
It is expensive and my personal feeling is people would often be better spending their money on good quality low carb foods and using finger pricking to monitor.

The time lag takes a bit of getting used to, but our sensors can be very helpful in showing trends.
This link to a post by @helli is very useful highlighting the pros and cons of sensors. Well worth a read.

The time lag takes a bit of getting used to, but our sensors can be very helpful in showing trends.
This link to a post by @helli is very useful highlighting the pros and cons of sensors. Well worth a read.
That link doesn’t work.. you couldn’t point me in the right direction could you?

As they are measuring something different it is unlikely they would be exactly the same and 1.6 is not very much. Monitors are allowed a 15% accuracy anyway so the 7.3 could be +/- !5%
It is really worth highlighting that this accuracy is a percentage.
So the "acceptable" difference between a CGM (including but not only Libre) when your numbers are low will be less than when your numbers are high.
For example 15% of 5.4 is 0.8, whereas 15% of 12.4 is 1.9.
And then there things like "insertion trauma" and "compression lows" which can affect the readings

That link doesn’t work.. you couldn’t point me in the right direction could you?
sorry, my tech skills are limited!

Go to Forums tab and down to pumping and tech. Hello’s post is pinned near the top of the list.

Here we go.... This is the link to the post about the limitations and quirks of Libre

Generally, if Libre is within 2mmols of a finger prick it is considered OK to use. More than 2mmols out on 3 occasions and Abbott will replace it. I have several BG meters as well as Libre and I find Libre usually reads about 1mmol lower than my main BG meter for me most of the time. Interestingly I bought some test strips to use in the Libre reader and they always read lower that a Libre scan but I am not convinced that the Libre test strips are as reliable as my other meter. My gut feeling is that the calibration at Libre is slightly on the low side, possibly to keep people safer. Anyway, I only ever compare Libre results with a finger prick when I haven't eaten or injected insulin for several hours and my BG levels have been stable according to Libre for at least half an hour. This gives me pretty consistent results that I am confident no only to bolus from my Libre reading but also to calculate corrections. In fact I can easily go a week without doing a finger prick and then other times I might have to do several in a day for a number of different reasons. You gradually learn when you can trust Libre and when you need to double check it, but that list of limitations composed by @helli is really comprehensive and incredibly useful for people using CGM and Libre in particular in order for them to understand why they get odd readings some times or things don't always match up. I absolutely love Libre and the data it gives is incredibly useful but you can't always take it at face value.

I try to avoid using the word accuracy with Libre and BG meters because it is difficult to quantify without absolute testing which we don't have access to. Generally your BG meter is considered more reliable than Libre but I would hesitate to say one is more accurate that the other at any given moment in time.

Isn’t the dexcom one only available from Gp’s? I’d try dexcom if it was available to buy
As best I know of the 5 x CGMs that might be prescribed through the NHS, 4 can be purchased from the Manufacturer and one of those 4 can also be purchased from Pharmacies. These are:
Libre 2 from Gp prescription, or purchased from Abbott direct or a Pharmacy.​
Dexcom One from GP script or purchase from Dexcom direct. Might possibly now also be purchasable from a Pharmacy.​
Dexcom G6 and Dexcom G7 only from Hospital arrangements, not on GP script. But both purchasable from Dexcom direct.​
The 5th is Libre 3, from Hospital arrangements and just possibly very recently from GP script. I don't believe this can yet be purchased from Abbott or a Pharmacy. The Dexcom G7 is comparable with Libre 3, with both being combined sensors with built in transmitters.​
The L2 and Dex One are similar lower cost and the Dex G6, 7 and L3 are about the same higher cost.​
There are a couple more lower cost CGMs which can be prescribed by GPs but they are rarely mentioned on this forum.​

Dex One is a cheaper version of G6 and it's main shortcoming is that neither the app nor the hand held Receiver (equivalent to a Libre Reader) allows any recording of data about insulin, meals or any other notes. A second shortcoming for me was that (as with G6) this device is in 2 parts: a 10 day sensor and a 90 day transmitter. Once the transmitter is activated its clock is ticking for the next 90 days. So you need to buy 9 sensors with one transmitter just to try it or waste the 90 day transmitter.

Personally I think that Libre 2 is best suited for non-insulin dependent BG monitoring.

Firstly, you need to see trends, not spot readings; accuracy of individual readings is not super-critical if you don't need a number for calculating an insulin dose.​
Secondly, the graphs that CGM provide are terrific for displaying those trends and making clear how your body is managing either food, or activity, or food in conjunction with activity.​
Thirdly, if self-funding is a financial strain then using Libre 2 for 14 days then taking a break for a few days or weeks and then another 14 days with a new sensor and so on, ie using L2 intermittently, is most cost effective. This provides the opportunity to learn a few things about what works for you then consolidate those lessons with routine fp checks and subsequently explore a different aspect of your daily living with a series of new sensors.​
With a 14 day stand alone sensor you can choose when you monitor and learn, without being locked into a 90 day experiment.​
I suspect 6 x 14 day periods spread across 6+ months would give you masses of detail about how different foods and activities works for you and what is sustainable by you in the longer term. Supplemented by fps when "sensor less".

Hi I had many issues with libre 2 as reading s we’re way out and definitely wouldn’t trust reading s without out finger pricking before calculating insulin at meal times I know they say reading s can lag but since the update in July libre 2 has read more accurate but I still double check with a finger prick before meal times to be sure I did talk to my dietitian and diabetic nurse about my concerns and they confirmed there had been cases where people had given too much insulin due to incorrect libre reading s so my advice go back to basics and finger prick as you will get a true result

@Clarelryxx there is a delay of about 15 minutes between blood sugar changes and changes in interstitial fluid (used by all CGMs). However, this rarely results in a delay in the displayed readings because the algorithm which converts interstitial fluid readings to BG readings, takes the delay into consideration.
It does this by extrapolating the current trend of the graph.
This will only result in a problem if the trend changes direction in the last 16 minutes. In that case, the CGM readings will “overshot” and correct itself when it spots the direction change.

Although the Libre is a valuable if not essential tool for those taking insulin for others, even though it can provide useful information the temptation is to over react to seeing high or low levels.
It is expensive and my personal feeling is people would often be better spending their money on good quality low carb foods and using finger pricking to monitor.

Hi I had many issues with libre 2 as reading s we’re way out and definitely wouldn’t trust reading s without out finger pricking before calculating insulin at meal times I know they say reading s can lag but since the update in July libre 2 has read more accurate but I still double check with a finger prick before meal times to be sure I did talk to my dietitian and diabetic nurse about my concerns and they confirmed there had been cases where people had given too much insulin due to incorrect libre reading s so my advice go back to basics and finger prick as you will get a true result
Thanks for this… I’m still finger pricking.

As best I know of the 5 x CGMs that might be prescribed through the NHS, 4 can be purchased from the Manufacturer and one of those 4 can also be purchased from Pharmacies. These are:
Libre 2 from Gp prescription, or purchased from Abbott direct or a Pharmacy.​
Dexcom One from GP script or purchase from Dexcom direct. Might possibly now also be purchasable from a Pharmacy.​
Dexcom G6 and Dexcom G7 only from Hospital arrangements, not on GP script. But both purchasable from Dexcom direct​
Thank you so much for this really useful
Information. I am not taking insulin so I agree the libre is probably the best choice. Having a break to save money is a great idea. I’m grateful of your advice! Thanks again.

Part of the problem, @Lynne888, is that regardless of T1 or T2 so many things can affect our overall BG. Food and activity are 2 big factors but the weather, weekdays vs weekends, other medications, stress from different events in our lives each can change what is going on in our metabolism. So for the " trial and learning" process to be helpful (whether from fps or a CGM) we need to keep as many factors as possible unchanged then see what one changed thing produces. This is easy said, but in practice every day life intervenes.

It's only from several repetitions that one can see with confidence that a meal type has really worked - or not. Or my hypothetical 3x 10 min walks have been useful - or not. And so on. We can't conduct life experiments under laboratory conditions (and in my case if I don't keep a note about what was different today from yesterday when I'm assessing some potential change, then the value of my experiment is seriously reduced!).

Anyway achieving remission is not necessarily quick nor easy and sustaining that improved status is a potential rest of life task. So if regaining control takes months rather than days - so be it. The effort is still very worthwhile. Good luck.

I’ve been disappointed in my readings this past few weeks. I haven’t bothered to check what my blood sugar is for a while so it’s been a bit of a kick up the backside. I’ve stuck to a diet, I’ve reduced carbs but the majority of the time readings are over 7 and can be 10.. yesterday I felt down about it as I don’t want to take metformin but I did tell myself it’s early days and this is a marathon not a sprint, maybe 6 months down the line thinks will look very different. I need to be more patient. Getting diabetes didn’t happen overnight so trying to reverse it won’t either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back