libre 2

trevann

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
at the moment as i have just had libre 2 8 day s my nurse said to test 8 times a day will this go down iam type 2 on metiform fast acting insulin and slow acting one

You need to use the libre to check bg at least 8 times a day as a condition of funding for libre as a type 2. Id expect you to be looking at it much more than 8 though, is there a reason you don’t want to use it?

I wonder if you are misunderstanding your nurse.... or I am misunderstanding you?

Are you thinking that you have to finger prick 8 times a day as well as use the Libre or just get a reading from the Libre 8 or more times a day?

The more you check your levels with Libre the better you will understand how your body reacts to food and insulin and the better your diabetes management can become as a result of that information. I find it fascinating as well as informative and reassuring and so I find it quite difficult to check my levels less than 30 times a day with Libre!

Just looking at my smartphone, it would appear that I scan/view the results from my Libre 2 Plus sensor an average of 166 times per day.
I have no real idea what that means!

Because I've just switched from Libre 2 to Libre 2 Plus, I'm now doing a finger-prick test once a day, to compare the new sensor type with my blood glucose meter. Prior to that, I hadn't done a finger-prick test for several months!

Just looking at my smartphone, it would appear that I scan/view the results from my Libre 2 Plus sensor an average of 166 times per day.
I have no real idea what that means!

Because I've just switched from Libre 2 to Libre 2 Plus, I'm now doing a finger-prick test once a day, to compare the new sensor type with my blood glucose meter. Prior to that, I hadn't done a finger-prick test for several months!
I expect you’re reading the wrong number? Should be the second number you’re looking at

Attachments

• IMG_4167.png
    IMG_4167.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 10
I expect you’re reading the wrong number? Should be the second number you’re looking at
No!
4 - 10 July 2024
1199 Total scans/views
171 Scans/views per day
(a minute ago)

Over 90 days, the average is 192 scans/views per day!

It is so much easier with the reader as each scan is a very distinct act to obtain a reading, rather than the full CGM phone app. which is receiving data all the time. How does it know how often you glance at it?

Over 90 days, the average is 192 scans/views per day!
Which is (obviously) a lot! It's once every 7 and a half minutes when averaged over 24 hours. Presumably you scan less often over night so it's even more frequently during the day.

Which is (obviously) a lot! It's once every 7 and a half minutes when averaged over 24 hours. Presumably you scan less often over night so it's even more frequently during the day.
"Presumably you scan less often over night so it's even more frequently during the day."
Well, I only scan (via the smartphone's NFC function) when there is a loss of data from the graph because of a temporary sensor error, which is every few days.
It is so much easier with the reader as each scan is a ery distinct act to obtain a reading, rather than the full CGM phone app. which is receiving data all the time. How does it know how often you glance at it?
"How does it know how often you glance at it?"
Your guess is probably better than mine!

The Help information says:
Sensor usage provides information about how often you have scanned or viewed your Sensor glucose readings in the app and how much information has been captured from your Sensor.

On that basis, I suspect the figures are a hangover from before the continuous updating via Bluetooth, when you had to do a deliberate NFC scan to obtain the readings. With Bluetooth updating, I would suggest that the smartphone app figures are now virtually meaningless!

With Bluetooth updating, I would suggest that the smartphone app figures are now virtually meaningless!
That seems like a silly change on their part. So maybe it's just the number of Bluetooth messages successfully received or something? As you say, meaningless.

On that basis, I suspect the figures are a hangover from before the continuous updating via Bluetooth, when you had to do a deliberate NFC scan to obtain the readings. With Bluetooth updating, I would suggest that the smartphone app figures are now virtually meaningless!
The libre 2 updates continuously via Bluetooth and my figures are correct at about 21 views per day

I don't understand this. As of a year ago Libre 2 became a CGM which means you no longer do a scan unless you have been out of range. You just look at the reading when you want to. I have no idea what the number of scans now means. I wouldn't worry about regularly comparing results with a finger-prick test? You only need to do that if the Libre reading seems very unusual or it's very low or very high. The Libre and finger prick reading will always be different anyway as the FP meter is +/- 15% accuracy.

You just look at the reading when you want to. I have no idea what the number of scans now means.
The number of scans is the number of times you look at it per day. For a type 2 you have to prove you’re looking at it at least 8 times a day, it isn’t funded for all type 2s. This post is by a type 2 who has been asked to use it 8+ times a day as part of the funding agreement.

The number of scans is the number of times you look at it per day. For a type 2 you have to prove you’re looking at it at least 8 times a day, it isn’t funded for all type 2s. This post is by a type 2 who has been asked to use it 8+ times a day as part of the funding agreement.

I'm new to using my Libre2 so it's open pretty much all the time. As of this AM (10.15) on day 7 of this sensor use, this screen reads : 1393 total scans/views, 199 s/v per day, 94% sensor is active. I'm learning a lot about the response to types of food as well as how much to eat. e.g. I changed my pattern of medicine to take the Metformin AND the Gliclazide as soon as I'm active (6am) and not wait till brekkers (8am). Much shallower graph results from 9am to 10am.

Over time I'm sure the viewing frequency will be much reduced.

I changed my pattern of medicine to take the Metformin AND the Gliclazide as soon as I'm active (6am) and not wait till brekkers (8am). Much shallower graph results from 9am to 10am.
Do be careful about taking the Metformin on an empty stomach as it should be taken with food to prevent digestive upset.

Do be careful about taking the Metformin on an empty stomach as it should be taken with food to prevent digestive upset.

I didn't list all the sequence. Take a 10K Creon. Drink some water. Eat some cheese. Take the pills. Drink some more water.

But that's not plausible, is it? Back in the days of Libre 1 using the Reader, it said I was averaging ~40 times a day. That was regarded as a lot.

Just about plausible. Works out at a 6 min average over a 17 hour day. The iPhone with the app is running open for several minutes at a time right next to me for many times of the day. (Not necessarily being viewed). Auto-Lock time set to 5mins but Raise to Wake set to Off (might change that). Not sure I know the sampling rate of the sensor but if it is every minute when open, then an overall average of 6 mins doesn't look silly.

I've changed habit as a test to only look at the app once an hour.

UPDATE : Extract from the Libre2 FAQs

"

How often can I scan the FreeStyle Libre 2 Sensor? What will happen if I scan frequently, for example, every 30 seconds?​

You can scan as often as you want, but the reading will never change more frequently than every 60 seconds.

"

Last edited:
Just about plausible. Works out at a 6 min average over a 17 hour day.
Only barely, though. I could believe it if it was one day, but not as an average over several. I doubt I check mine that often and I have it showing on my watch (so I can just glance at it easily).

Back