Libre 2 on a smart watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bear in mind that the Dexcom ONE does not allow any integration to anything else like a watch or pump or third party app.

I'm all for swapping to a Dexcom G6, as for me, managing this wretched condition will be far easier with continuous readings on a wrist watch. I thought the Libre 2 was a CGM, but it is far from that. As BadaBing said - it's readings by opening an app, placing a smartphone on the back of your arm - and I might add, quite often being told there is a sensor error and to try again in 10 minutes.

I'm all for swapping to a Dexcom G6, as for me, managing this wretched condition will be far easier with continuous readings on a wrist watch. I thought the Libre 2 was a CGM, but it is far from that. As BadaBing said - it's readings by opening an app, placing a smartphone on the back of your arm - and I might add, quite often being told there is a sensor error and to try again in 10 minutes.
But a G6 will not communicate directly with a smartwatch, only through a phone app

Oh ....... I thought that it would work independently.

I think part of the challenge you are facing is that the vast majority of Smartwatches seem to be designed as extensions (and displays) for functionality available on phones.

Would a possible approach be to deactivate the functions / links on the phone that you don’t want?

I’m not sure how possible this is - but would imagine that it ought to be possible to stop your watch for example, displaying messages or phone calls? To get you closer to time and sensor glucose only - even if the phone is connected to accomplish that.

There may be some additional snippets about linking G6 to watches here:

I believe @m1dnc uses G6 with a fitbit - but I don’t know if that’s a direct link. A fitness tracker may have fewer options to deactivate / switch off?

Last edited:
I think part of the challenge you are facing is that the vast majority of Smartwatches seem to be designed as extensions (and displays) for functionality available on phones.

Would a possible approach be to deactivate the functions / links on the phone that you don’t want?

I’m not sure how possible this is - but would imagine that it ought to be possible to stop your watch for example, displaying messages or phone calls? To get you closer to time and sensor glucose only - even if the phone is connected to accomplish that.

There may be some additional snippets about linking G6 to watches here:

I believe @m1dnc uses G6 with a fitbit - but I don’t know if that’s a direct link. A fitness tracker may have fewer options to deactivate / switch off?
Many thanks for your reply. The problem is that my main mobile phone is used a lot for work, and I must be able to switch it off when I go to bed, or I am quite likely to be awoken by an unimportant work issue. I think I would have to deactivate all sound, which would of course mean that the low and high glucose alarms wouldn't work. If I changed to a Dexcom G6 system, I think with the vibrating smartwatch, I may be where I want to be! Makes sense?

Depending on your level of android you can turn on 'override do not disturb' by individual app. Does that help?

Yes - I put my phone on Do Not Disturb overnight. I use my phone as alarm clock and the alarms still sound during the Do Not Disturb period. I have also set it in the past to only ring for certain phone numbers

Aeroplane mode on your smartphone will turn off calls, wifi and bluetooth. Then turn your bluetooth back on to automatically reconnect to your smartwatch. Turn off aeroplane mode in the morning. Done.

Depending on your level of android you can turn on 'override do not disturb' by individual app. Does that help?
Yeah and there’s settings on iPhones to only allow certain apps to notify.
Or people to contact.

So for example my libre is the only notification I can get in sleep mode, but I have also allowed my mum, daughter and husband to phone me in this mode, if they are phoning when it is on this mode it is likely important as I wonky use it at night.

Would that help?

The problem is that my main mobile phone is used a lot for work, and I must be able to switch it off when I go to bed, or I am quite likely to be awoken by an unimportant work issue.

Ah OK - I can understand that!

Sounds like their might be some filtering options that might help, depending on the OS your phone uses?

Aeroplane mode on your smartphone will turn off calls, wifi and bluetooth. Then turn your bluetooth back on to automatically reconnect to your smartwatch. Turn off aeroplane mode in the morning. Done.
Aeroplane mode sounds in terms of simplicity very appealing, but don't I need bluetooth / wifi for the app to work?

Last edited:
Daaavid, yes you have understood me correctly.

I contact Abbott from time-to-time and ask them when they will allow data generated by their glucose monitoring systems to be read directly by smartwatches. Their answer is always the same: not at the moment but they are in discussions with a number of "partners" to do something in the future.

I understand Dexcom are far more amenable to data generated by their glucose monitoring products being displayed on compatible smartwatches.

I wish Abbott would be more nimble. Having first trialled the first Libre system in 2013/14, then having miniaturised the sensor and made it proper, real time cgm with the Libre 3, the next logical step would be to make the data easily accessible on a smartwatch.

The seeming slowness to innovate is palpable. At the moment, one has to open up the Libre app (and scan the sensor in the case of Libre 1 and Libre 2) in order to see one's current glucose reading. There isn't even a widget that gives one the current number.
You can use Diabox which shows a continuous reading on your phone without scanning, then use the wearable widgets app to send it to your watch.20220727_155649.jpg

I use the BlueJay GTS watch with xDrip+ to get continuous readings from a Libre 1 sensor (using a bubble mini adapter sitting on top of the sensor). The same watch can be used to act as a standalone collector for Dexcom G5 and G6. For more information see https://bluejay.website/shop/product/bluejay-gts-26.

1662791655187.png

Hi Magpie, thank you for the reply. Which Fitbit do you think would be best for taking readings from the Libre 2 sensor please?
I don't think any will do the readings. All they can do is mirror the notifications on the phone i.e alarms, new sensor due.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back