Libre 2 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, everyone. I called Abbott and, after a lot of questions, the operator agreed to send a replacement. I'm afraid this is the second time I've had one persistently reading 3ish and I'm beginning to lose confidence.

Thanks, everyone. I called Abbott and, after a lot of questions, the operator agreed to send a replacement.
Pleased that Abbott are replacing the faulty sensor. If I may suggest, keep just the 'invoice' that comes with the replacement. I have over 50% failures (but see below) and with some 30 invoices in my hand, a month ago my Endocrinologist readily accepted that I should be allowed to try a different supplier and has recommended Dexcom One. I've not changed yet, solely because I need a compatible phone - different challenge!
I'm afraid this is the second time I've had one persistently reading 3ish and I'm beginning to lose confidence.
My body doesn't seem to like Libre and sensor behaviour is unsatisfactory; when it works well it's great, but much of the time it is adrift - sometimes a couple or even 3 points above BG. When consistently higher this is a nuisance, but I manage and live with it. I'm comparing sensor to actual solely when in steady state, ie horizontal arrows; when my BG is changing a lagging sensor can get above or below actual - depending on the direction of change and I only look at the trend, not the number! Takes practice to see what you need, rather than the headline figure.

When lower, that is much more of a nuisance because it is giving low alarms that aren't supported by finger pricking. So, like yourself, it brings a loss of confidence. Now, 30 months into my diabetes, I have much more stability than the early days so I can trust how I feel, rather than what my sensor is trying to panic me with. Hence I tolerate a sensor that is 1 or even 2 points below actual. I was told to try and stay above 6mmol/L, to keep myself safe and even now my Endo reiterates that. His view is its better to have short periods even above 10, rather than below 4. But I'm over 70 and long term damage from being out of range is relative; I've no idea about such things for a child.

One book that is commonly recommended is "Type 1 Diabetes, in children, adolescents and young adults" by Dr Ragnar Hanas. Its very much a technical read, but pitched at youngsters; I have a copy (7th Edition) and find it fine for me also.

I know when I'm actually hypo or when I'm close. But, of course, that is so much more difficult for you to assess independently - you need your son to articulate that to you .....

One commonly found external symptom of a hypo (or close to hypo) is when the patient gets irritable, argumentative and unco-operative. It was not unusual in the early days, before I had Libre to tell me anything, for my wife to gently point out that I was going hypo and get me to check with a FP. Of course, she was correct! I now recognise it for myself - but that takes time.

My knowledge on child autism and T1 in youngsters is very thin. But there are members who have such experience. Good luck.

Thanks again - I'll look for the book. My son's 26, and doesn't really understand what's going on, but he does know he does know that he doesn't want to go back into hospital which gives me a certain amount of leverage. He is stroppy and uncooperative quite often, for example today. It's part of his autism but If I hadn't done a finger prick test first thing I'd have been worried about a hypo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back