Libre 2 CGM - does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Oldfield

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

In all the discussion about getting the updates to work, I'm just wondering what the end result is looking like (for those who've got the app to behave at least). Obviously it's still early days but would be interested to hear how it's working for people and are you seeing an increase in TIR and less hypos?

I am not sure having it as a rtCGM would make a huge amount of difference with regard to hypos and TIR. Libre 2 scanning gives you alerts anyway.
The value to me is convenience of not having to scan. Just look at the app and your current BG is there without that awkward motion of lining up your NFC receiver.
At least that was one of the reason why I used xDrip instead of LibreLink.
The other reason is the ability to calibrate against my finger pricks but Libre still does not provide this.

I am not sure having it as a rtCGM would make a huge amount of difference with regard to hypos and TIR.
I seem to remember there being a trial or two showing that rtCGM worked better than isCGM but I think that was before Libre 2 (with its alarms) and I don't remember the difference really being large enough to care about (or even believe).

Maybe there is a small advantage around people previously not always scanning leading to gaps in their data.
Now, our clinical teams should have a fuller picture if they are ones who will advise improvements to diabetes management.

Thanks both. I guess one of the main questions is actually going to be whether people _feel_ better with the additional info available. A possibility that some will find it too much?

Another day, another libre app update! I started a new sensor this morning and it stopped automatic updates and disabled the alerts (fun times). Reinstalled and this seems to be working but I have not been able to successfully upload dosage data from my echo pen since installing 2.10.1 :( #libre2app #echopenfail #abbottupdate

Could be, I guess. My hunch would be that if someone's come to terms with isCGM that moving to rtCGM would feel a bit more convenient rather than more of a burden, but I may well be wrong.
I think the silver lining will be having automatic updates and reliable alerts. However the stress that the lack of communication or planning around the update has caused has been a lot. Really hope that lessons are learnt here by CGM providers and diabetes teams.

Obviously it's still early days but would be interested to hear how it's working for people and are you seeing an increase in TIR and less hypos?
Nothings actually changed except not needing to scan so I don’t see why tir or hypos would change

If you make if easier to see the latest situation then you reduce the delay in reacting.
you can’t say the time taken to scan caused delays reacting that would improve time in range. Even on my awkward phone it’s a minute delay at worst to scan.

you can’t say the time taken to scan caused delays reacting that would improve time in range. Even on my awkward phone it’s a minute delay at worst to scan.

It's not just the time for the scan though, it's the fact that the info is immediately available without bothering to scan.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7576432/ looks at the improvement (though a big difference to present day is clearly going to be it was using the Libre 1 with no alarms).

Reactions: Kol
It's not just the time for the scan though, it's the fact that the info is immediately available without bothering to scan.
I’ve just timed myself. Including setting the timer on my phone, switching to libre app, scanning, going back to timer app and stopping it was 10.77 seconds.

Yes I appreciate the convenience of not needing to scan, but seeing my bg 10 seconds earlier and so reacting 10 seconds earlier is really not going to make any difference whatsoever to time in range

I’ve just timed myself. Including setting the timer on my phone, switching to libre app, scanning, going back to timer app and stopping it was 10.77 seconds.

Yes I appreciate the convenience of not needing to scan, but seeing my bg 10 seconds earlier and so reacting 10 seconds earlier is really not going to make any difference whatsoever to time in range
And you scan every minute?

I started using the Libre 2 about 10 weeks ago. I do not have a suitable phone, but I managed to by the sensor unit on ebay, so I use that. It seems to work fine. I have type II and am using the system to improve my stats. But I have had very little guidance, so am making it up as I go along. I set the target zone at 4.5 to 8.0 and when I started I was within target for 25% of the time and above for the rest. Now I am in target for 65 - 70% of the time. I wake with high bg typically around 8 and rising, so I fast until it is below 7. At night I do not go to bed until it is below 7 - if necessary I do 50 swats with small weights to pull the bg down. I have no idea if this is the right way to use the monitor or not... no guidance at all from the doctor... I would be glad of any feedback or advice

Seeing the debate between @Lucyr and @Rob Oldfield, made me think about this - it's been such a long time since I used the Libre app that I'd forgotten that one even needed to scan it manually (I use XDrip+, with miaomiao back in the days of libre1, then directly for libre2).

I must say I found/find it more convenient not needing to scan (brought home to me on occasion when the Bluetooth in the Libre2 goes on the blink and I have to manually scan until I can find, charge and attach my old miaomiao), however the thing that really made it significantly better was being able to display the data on my watch, which means I don't need to get my phone out at all. One hopes the official app will provide this capability, or the ability to share the real-time data more easily to facilitate 3rd party apps providing this ability.

I started using the Libre 2 about 10 weeks ago. I do not have a suitable phone, but I managed to by the sensor unit on ebay, so I use that. It seems to work fine. I have type II and am using the system to improve my stats. But I have had very little guidance, so am making it up as I go along. I set the target zone at 4.5 to 8.0 and when I started I was within target for 25% of the time and above for the rest. Now I am in target for 65 - 70% of the time. I wake with high bg typically around 8 and rising, so I fast until it is below 7. At night I do not go to bed until it is below 7 - if necessary I do 50 swats with small weights to pull the bg down. I have no idea if this is the right way to use the monitor or not... no guidance at all from the doctor... I would be glad of any feedback or advice
Many who are Type 2 who are using the Libre are making use of the data it gives you to make dietary changes to minimise the high blood glucose level from foods which are too high in carbs for them to tolerate.
Whether this is the right way to be using the system depends on what your HbA1C is and what medication, if any you are taking and how you respond to the information it is giving you. If you are early in your diagnosis you may be setting yourself quite tight criteria.

Thanks both. I guess one of the main questions is actually going to be whether people _feel_ better with the additional info available. A possibility that some will find it too much
Much better.
More information = better understanding = better decisions
I remember a saying “if you don’t know how it works don’t try to fix it”

I’m new to forum but love the libre2 until now. Have gone through updates etc put new sensor in and still not giving auto updates. My question is do I need to pair senor with phone Bluetooth and if so does sensor have a name? Sorry if been asked before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back