Libre 2 accuracy issue, possible bad batch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronH83

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi folks. So far I've had 5 Libre 2 sensors and I've had issues with 4 of them. These issues range from bad adhesive with one to 3 with accuracy issues. The Libre has been telling me I'm 2.3 with a fingerstick telling me I was 16.4. The difference was such I opened a brand new Contour Next One I have in my stash of supplies and re-tested with it, only for it to confirm the fingerstick result. Abbott themselves have replaced the sensors with no questions asked besides the usual ones, and in my opinion somewhat tellingly they have not asked me to return the faulty sensors to them as I would have done previously. Has anyone else had an issue like this? Has it affected you in any way? I won't lie, my confidence has taken a hit and mentally I'm not feeling too good anyway, still recovering from covid back in February.

I have had a few sensors out by a couple of mmol/l but none as bad as you have seen.
In general, I have found Libre 2 more accurate than Libre 1 but they take longer to bed in. I have taken to inserting my new one 3 days before I activate it.
Regarding adhesive, I have seen a few people experiencing issues with the current heat which means the sensors don't stick as well.

As a longtime user of Libre and Libre2 sensors I have found very little issue with them, I would say a lot of the issues i read about on this and other sites are mostly from new users who are maybe not paying too much attention to placing them, i find the readings you mentioned 2.3 to 16.4 with a finger prick very surprising, did you not feel the Hyper coming on, at that level I'd be feeling pretty bad and would reach for a finger prick test before even thinking about reading the libre sensor.
in 2018 Abbot admitted they did have an issue with adhesive and the heat and I lost a couple of sensors which they replaced no questions asked, they very rarely ask you to send a sensor back, it's just too time consuming for them, their manufacturing cost will be less than 50 pence per sensor so it's more sensible to just replace any questionable ones.
Aaron I would stick with them because they will improve your quality of life immeasurably when you get used to them, the thoughts of finger pricking would have hit me way harder mentally than some hiccups with the sensors, i had the latest pump and CGM system and I gave it up because I had to finger prick to keep it calibrated.
Best of luck Aaron and I hope you can persevere with the sensors

As a longtime user of Libre and Libre2 sensors I have found very little issue with them, I would say a lot of the issues i read about on this and other sites are mostly from new users who are maybe not paying too much attention to placing them, i find the readings you mentioned 2.3 to 16.4 with a finger prick very surprising, did you not feel the Hyper coming on, at that level I'd be feeling pretty bad and would reach for a finger prick test before even thinking about reading the libre sensor.
in 2018 Abbot admitted they did have an issue with adhesive and the heat and I lost a couple of sensors which they replaced no questions asked, they very rarely ask you to send a sensor back, it's just too time consuming for them, their manufacturing cost will be less than 50 pence per sensor so it's more sensible to just replace any questionable ones.
Aaron I would stick with them because they will improve your quality of life immeasurably when you get used to them, the thoughts of finger pricking would have hit me way harder mentally than some hiccups with the sensors, i had the latest pump and CGM system and I gave it up because I had to finger prick to keep it calibrated.
Best of luck Aaron and I hope you can persevere with the sensors
I've used the Libre for 3 years now. It's only since changing to the Libre 2 that I've had issues besides the adhesive ones you mentioned which were resolved no questions asked.

I had no Libre sensors fail though some would be out by nearly 2 from start to finish. So far I've had 3 Libre 2 sensors fail and they have wanted every single one returned. But has been much more accurate. (Win some, lose some....) I think we get blase about tech stuff expecting it to work precisely from the start NP.

(Anyone else here done user testing for software, whilst paying for that privilege?)

I wonder if the sensors aren’t inserting correctly for some reason?

Hope these are the last flaky ones you have for a good while - you deserve a break!

I wonder if the sensors aren’t inserting correctly for some reason?

Hope these are the last flaky ones you have for a good while - you deserve a break!
It's a possibility. Perhaps the applicator isn't getting the filament under the skin properly? The sensor I'm currently using seems to be a good one, I'm doing comparison with the Contour Next One and it's within 1mmol so far.

Hi folks. So far I've had 5 Libre 2 sensors and I've had issues with 4 of them. These issues range from bad adhesive with one to 3 with accuracy issues. The Libre has been telling me I'm 2.3 with a fingerstick telling me I was 16.4. The difference was such I opened a brand new Contour Next One I have in my stash of supplies and re-tested with it, only for it to confirm the fingerstick result. Abbott themselves have replaced the sensors with no questions asked besides the usual ones, and in my opinion somewhat tellingly they have not asked me to return the faulty sensors to them as I would have done previously. Has anyone else had an issue like this? Has it affected you in any way? I won't lie, my confidence has taken a hit and mentally I'm not feeling too good anyway, still recovering from covid back in February.
I. I 13

Yep I seem to spend most days chatting to Libre Support about sensor inaccuracy and the alarms not working. Also had problems with connectivity to the part of the app that uploads your data for your hospital to see. The answer to rectify the last problem from Libre Support is to uninstall the app and reinstall which sounds easy but you lose the data from your phone so it's like starting from day 1. They never want my sensors back. They asked me to try the sensor reader instead of my phone but the alarms still didn't work. Lately I'm having to report that the sensors are not getting replaced for 3 weeks sometimes!

I have had 3 Libre 2 sensors fail over the past 10 days!! The first 2 gave the message " sensor inactive* the day AFTER I had attached it and now the THIRD has just given me the same message after I replaced the old one on Sunday June 13th. Could it be a faulty batch??? I have emailed Abbott but no response yet. No problems with Libre 1 nor with Libre 2 during the first 2/3 months of use so WHY NOW????

I did ask the Libre support person over the phone if it was just me or were others having problems, they said they were constantly receiving calls with problems with the Libre 2 sensors. I'm hoping the Libre 3 will be better but how long do we have to wait for that? My sensors are on prescription but with the amount of problems and replacements I've had I haven't ordered any via the NHS for some time.

I've had 5 Libre 2 sensors fail since 4 June, plus one reader. Sensor errors, event log 373, lasting hours not just 10 mins. Abbott have offered replacements (4 received so far), after asking the usual questions; and required the failed items to be sent back, for which they provided the prepaid packaging.

I also asked Abbott if this was just me and got, not surprisingly, a woolly answer but included that they were experiencing problems.

Apart from having problems with stock holding ... temporarily overcome by a helpful GP and brilliantly responsive pharmacy ... it is stressful, which as we all know is not good for DM. I've had 2 low glucose events because of no alarms; neither was serious, just infuriating and needing time to clear. My overall time in target is much worse this month, solely due to reduced control from reduced warnings.

I don't get good correlations between L2 and my Accuchek finger pricker. Invariably well outside the 15% tolerance that the specs define, particularly at the upper and lower ends of the "target range"; usually, but unhelpfully not always, Libre 2 reads above Accuchek. I've recently started a twice daily log to try and get a better feel for the accuracy. However my link to Libreview seems unaffected, so the readings seem to still be held there.

I also uninstalled the Librelink app and then reinstalled the app, with the inevitable loss of readings data. But, interestingly, the app retained the full events log and the record of last 3 sensors (in About). I can't get my brain around how that can be!

When L2 is working well it is very good, despite the weak correlations and very much helped me with daily management. But my confidence is knocked by these recent failures and the uncertainty is definitely affecting my daily living.

Hi, last week I started the L" sensor free trial offer and found the readings going into red (less than 3.9) everyday except when I ate. I got worried about hypos? I rang Abbotts and they will send a replacement sensor and want the old one back. Since L2 is new to me I thought I was doing something wrong and have no expericence of what sort of patterns to expect from L2. Hoping replacement sensor will show more accurate readings. I did comparison of a few readings and the L2 was always showing less than the prick test.

I've had 5 Libre 2 sensors fail since 4 June, plus one reader. Sensor errors, event log 373, lasting hours not just 10 mins. Abbott have offered replacements (4 received so far), after asking the usual questions; and required the failed items to be sent back, for which they provided the prepaid packaging.

I also asked Abbott if this was just me and got, not surprisingly, a woolly answer but included that they were experiencing problems.

Apart from having problems with stock holding ... temporarily overcome by a helpful GP and brilliantly responsive pharmacy ... it is stressful, which as we all know is not good for DM. I've had 2 low glucose events because of no alarms; neither was serious, just infuriating and needing time to clear. My overall time in target is much worse this month, solely due to reduced control from reduced warnings.

I don't get good correlations between L2 and my Accuchek finger pricker. Invariably well outside the 15% tolerance that the specs define, particularly at the upper and lower ends of the "target range"; usually, but unhelpfully not always, Libre 2 reads above Accuchek. I've recently started a twice daily log to try and get a better feel for the accuracy. However my link to Libreview seems unaffected, so the readings seem to still be held there.

I also uninstalled the Librelink app and then reinstalled the app, with the inevitable loss of readings data. But, interestingly, the app retained the full events log and the record of last 3 sensors (in About). I can't get my brain around how that can be!

When L2 is working well it is very good, despite the weak correlations and very much helped me with daily management. But my confidence is knocked by these recent failures and the uncertainty is definitely affecting my daily living.
I have experienced all you have mentioned and although I have not 'needed medical attention' which they always ask, it does knock your confidence in the sensors.

I have had lots of issues re accuracy of libre 1 and libre 2 sensors. I haven't had anything as bad as those readings but I have found that they have been up to about 6mmol off. Eh 2 hours post meal a finger prick reading showing I was 7.5mmol, libre showing I was 13.8 with the arrow pointing upwards. Also I have been comfortably sitting with finger prick result at 6mmol and libre showing I have been LO. This has led at time without double checking with a finger prick test to either over/under injecting and over/under eating. I no longer use the sensors for this reason.

Hi Aaron, I've been moved onto Libre 2 after being on version 1 for years. I had exactly the same thing. I thought the first v2 sensor was broke it was so far out, so put a new one one after 48 hours. No luck. At one stage it told me i was 3.3, when my BS Check was 14. If I had trusted the sensor I would have been in the 20's. Personally, the reading on both units were way out (between 4 - 9 mm/l difference) and the false alarm rate was really high. Placement/fitting was done exactly as i have done for years on v1 without any issues. I have asked my nurse to put me back on v1 for the time being. As you say, maybe a batch issue? Also, Libre have not asked for my suspect units back.

Hi Aaron, I've been moved onto Libre 2 after being on version 1 for years. I had exactly the same thing. I thought the first v2 sensor was broke it was so far out, so put a new one one after 48 hours. No luck. At one stage it told me i was 3.3, when my BS Check was 14. If I had trusted the sensor I would have been in the 20's. Personally, the reading on both units were way out (between 4 - 9 mm/l difference) and the false alarm rate was really high. Placement/fitting was done exactly as i have done for years on v1 without any issues. I have asked my nurse to put me back on v1 for the time being. As you say, maybe a batch issue? Also, Libre have not asked for my suspect units back.
So glad to hear I'm not the only one. My last two have been fairly close to blood readings now, but I'm still not 100% about trusting the sensors so I've been fingerpricking more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back