Lesson learned, or just more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
With regard to the plastic key with the Combi I order "service packs" which contain the plastic twister, batteries, a battery cap and the cap where the reservoir goes in. My pump nurse said that the caps and plastic key should be changed on each third pump battery change to prevent damage to the caps. To begin with I ordered a service pack for each month that the cannula order was due to last. I then keep one set in my purse and one with my other supplies so that I've always got them with me - I learnt to do this after panicking the first two or three times that the batteries needed changing🙂

Can you set up a 'cartridge low' warning on the Accu-Chek Combi? I've been thru the manual and now have info overload! If anyone knows the answer and how to do it, I'll be very happy. :confused:
I've tried to do this but haven't found anything to set. It automatically alarms when there is 20 units of insulin left when you need to acknowledge the alarm. I think the next alarm is 0 units. Depending upon what I am doing I will change the reservoir between 5 and 20 units - but my basal is quite high at 1 unit per hour

With regard to the plastic key with the Combi I order "service packs" which contain the plastic twister, batteries, a battery cap and the cap where the reservoir goes in. My pump nurse said that the caps and plastic key should be changed on each third pump battery change to prevent damage to the caps. To begin with I ordered a service pack for each month that the cannula order was due to last. I then keep one set in my purse and one with my other supplies so that I've always got them with me - I learnt to do this after panicking the first two or three times that the batteries needed changing🙂

When I self funded I looked into the roache sp* pump and was shocked at the price for this so called service pack. (?40),
I was told to change the battery cap and cartridge cap every 6 months with both of my previous pumps.

Interesting Sue because my pump nurse really emphasised changing them on every third battery change because she had seen caps badly damaged when this hadn't been done. I'm going to follow her advice because I don't want to take any chances

The Veo's battery cap doesn't require changing in the pump's lifetime (you can undo it with a coin). The reservoir comes with its own cap attached to the tubing. You don't have to rewind and prime when you change the battery. And you don't lose any data when you change the battery (unless you take too long, in which case everything is wiped and you have to completely reprogram). I'm surprised other models aren't the same - reps don't talk about these sort of features!

My pump battery lasts about 12 weeks and then pump goes into overdrives with alarms and you must change it within 30 mins or you have a dead pump 😡
Once you change the battery you have no IOB showing as it's all wiped out. (you can still check when last bolus given though) Oh and then you have to do a complete rewind and prime of the pump... Which is the dumbest thing ever.

Hi Sue, wow wish I could get 12 weeks out of a battery, especially since we have to buy our own now! (Animas used to provide 'em as part of consumables orders until some EU directive came into force about sending dangerous objects (potentially explosive?) through the post from Europe, and as Animas send theirs from Belgium it applied; other pump co.s send theirs from UK I believe so don't encounter this silly problem). Do you use Eveready Ultimate Lithium? I've just bought a load 2 days' ago and re-read what Animas say in the manual & on the website - it seems any old lithium batteries won't do, has to be these Eveready ones? I get 4-6 weeks out of one battery. I've now just accidentally bought 3 years' supply 😛

It also says in the manual that you can take the battery out for up to 12 hours but I've been too scared to try this! Because of this, I don't get the impression pump would die after the 30 mins. I'm waiting for someone else to test this out though 😉

I agree the full rewind & prime is a right royal pain in the backside 🙄

Hi Ingrid, I use the energizer ultimate lithium battery. Slightly over the top in my saying the pump dies after 30 mins. What I should have said was the pump stops working as in delivering insulin. From what I can gather the settings are intact for 12 hours.
I received batteries on my last order :D 😛 Hope you asked for the VAT back as the batteries are needed to power a medical device.

Hi Ingrid, I use the energizer ultimate lithium battery. Slightly over the top in my saying the pump dies after 30 mins. What I should have said was the pump stops working as in delivering insulin. From what I can gather the settings are intact for 12 hours.
I received batteries on my last order :D 😛 Hope you asked for the VAT back as the batteries are needed to power a medical device.

Ahhhh thanks, that makes sense that it stops delivering insulin but keeps the settings for 12 hours...glad I never tested that out! That could be clearer in the manual.

Maybe Animas have found a way to post the batteries directly from UK now, which I'm pleased to hear 🙂 (my last lot from them a few months' back, they told me I'd have to buy them from now on) I had a brainstorm in the shop thinking the pump uses 4 at a time, and the packs were 6 for the price of 4...so I bought 4 'bargain' packs to cover me 6-8 months, except Vibe takes just 1 battery which is why I now have enough to last 2-3 years. Stoopid me. Oh well, they're very well dated hehe. Forgot about the VAT exemption :(

Do you mean to say your pump carries on for weeks with just one pip on the battery?!! A new battery only lasts 4-6 weeks for us! And once it goes down to one pip, I err on the side of caution and change it. Once he was in school and the pump alarmed low battery and shut itself down (possibly he had ignored a previous alarm!) - lesson learned and repeat of situation to be avoided! I do use the backlight a couple of times each night, which will use more battery power, and when he wears a sensor it definitely drains the battery quicker, but sadly sensors are in short supply. So I'm surprised how much life you get out of yours :confused:

Makes a lot of sense for batteries to wear out fast with a sensor, but yes... I do get several days on one battery bar. My current battery is showing 1 bar, and already it has gone back up to 2 bars for half a day before settling back to 1 bar. I use the backlight probably once or twice a day myself too... Though I always turn it on and off manually rather than waiting for it to 'timeout'.

I think the last time I changed battery was mid-October, I'm not sure if this one will make it into January so I'm carrying batteries with me over the Christmas period.

Hmm, I think different user styles might make a difference too. For example, my son will do multiple boluses in a typical day, taking insulin for each item of food as he's about to eat it, rather than deciding in advance what he's going to eat. So instead of 3 meal boluses in a day, there will probably be about 15, including snacks. Maybe that uses more battery power too, never thought about it before. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back