Leaving Needles On Pen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told never to leave needles on the pen, as it can cause damage to the pen/cartridge if it's left consistently punctured. Plus the needle can get blocked, damaged, etc. I can't imagine not changing needles each time. The thought makes me shudder, personally!

... Many of us can remember the stainless steel re-usable needles which attached to the stainless steel and glass syringes. They were made to be used many times and still blunted.

Rob
Not only that but when many of us first started using a pen, around 1991?, the needles were not available on prescription so it was also financially prudent to reuse the needles. The advice of the DSN who first gave me a pen was to resuse the needles because of this.

I think when you reuse them the blunter needle does also cause a little more damage to the area that it punctures so you are a little more exposed to lipohypertrophy and the like.

I think given that they are now free on prescription the medical advice must be to use them only once but for everyone who uses them it is a personal choice and the problems it causes are unlikely to be too serious.

What I do not understand is if they really do want to stop you leaving the needle on why do the pen manufacturers leave enough space in the top for you to fit it with the needle still attached? Changing this would make it too impractical to leave the needle on. 😎

Last edited:
Ive had diabets 2 for 2 years now , i check my bloods 2/3 imes daily, and inject insulin 2 times daily ,,,,, Are some of you saying you use needles more than once ? ................ is this hygenic/safe ? or should I be saving costs ? ta lol:D

Hi Mimms. As Ross said, it used to be common practice due to cost issues and habit from the old re-usable designs. There are risks associated, as with most things, but those of us who have done/do it still, weigh up the risks compared to lifestyle and convenience and make that choice.

I have also always injected through clothing which was covered in a thread a while back. I have never had any sign of infection but I reckon I've got the constitution of an ox so it's entirely up the individual.

Rob

I used to change needle every time, now I don't! I have two needles a day, one for my novorapid, and one for levemir, I also find it makes the whole process a quicker thing, just air shot and in she goes.

Makes sense about the school and getting on with meeting new friends, but have to balance it carefully withyour health there too!

Rossi 🙂

Great going to give it a try ,,, save costs to NHS , less prescriptions ,,,and me messing about changing needles ... will try it daily , ta for the tip :D

when i was on needles (pump now) i used to reuse needles but i got lumpsunder my skin, spoke to my dsn about it and she was appalled i reused them. Told me that it blunts the needle, which hurts more (i only felt it slightly more) and infection wasnt great. obviously dont have this now. I dont change my finger pricket though, i think i've changed it twice this year ( I KNOW!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back