• Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here
  • Want to share your experiences of the coronavirus pandemic? Take our survey:Covid Healthcare Survey.

Lacking motivation and willpower

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
I was diagnosed as type 2 back in August 2015 with a Hba1c of 127.
The lowest I got it down to was 42 in May 2016.
Since then its crept up and up and currently stands at 65, this was in December 2020.
I am currently on 4 different tablets for my diabetes, which frustrates me.
When I was first diagnosed I cut out loads of things I know I shouldn't be eating. But as time has gone on bad habits have come back and I am finding extremely difficult to get out of them again.
I try keeping a food diary, it lasts a couple of days then I don't bother.
I'm not testing as much as I used, as when I do and see the number it gets me down and I then don't test for several days.
I don't post as much on here as I used to, especially the waking numbers section.
I find it difficult talking to people about it as I just end up in tears.
I'm due my next Hba1c in July and don't know what to do to get motivated again.

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Oh I'm so sorry you are lacking motivation....it's so darned hard to keep going sometimes. I've always thought what a lovely, positive person you are, so you must really be in the dumps to feel so bad. I wish I could offer some advice but I know motivation is a personal thing and has to come from within. So just wanted to say {{{hugs}}} and hope you are back on track soon xx

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Stitch147 Food is tempting - for practically everyone. You’re not bad or lacking in any way. There are certain things for which I have zero will-power. So don’t dwell on it. Identify any ‘danger items’ and try not to buy them. If you need a replacement for them, try to think of something tasty but that works with your diet.

Also, sometimes Life just gets in the way of good intentions. When things are stressful or hard, diabetes becomes even more of a pain and it’s so easy to use food as ‘comfort’ or to not be bothered. You’re not alone in this. X

Amigo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
We were diagnosed around the same time Stitch (me in Feb ‘15). It’s brave of you to admit how you’re feeling and it helps people like me who are also struggling at times. You absolutely know you can do it because you did before but I understand it’s hard going day in day, day out. I wish I had some easy answers but the good thing is you’re fit, active and have brilliant Cholesterol levels I envy! :) We can both get back on track I’m sure. Like you, I don’t feel like posting my morning levels at the moment but I do make myself test even if I’m expecting a high level. If I worked with M&S delicious food I’d be in big trouble!:eek:
Just wanted to send a message of support and say I understand x

Lisa66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey @Stitch147 , I’m sorry to hear you’re feeling down at the moment and completely understand how you feel tearful speaking about It. Good advice above. Don’t beat yourself up...you’ve had a tough and busy year. Once you’re in a good place I think it’s very easy to ease off a little here and there and it doesn’t show too much...until now. It must feel like a big mountain to climb again, probably feels bigger than it actually is.

As has been said, you know you can do it, just seems like a big ask at the moment. Maybe just give yourself little achievable goals. You’ll feel pleased when you meet these and hopefully a bit more positive to keep going to the next one. Try to focus on other positive things too...some of your hobbies and walks, so that you’re not constantly thinking of your numbers. I think I saw that you have a walk or two planned, maybe with the lighter evenings you’ll be able to get out a bit more...doesn’t have to be miles, even just a gentle walk to get you out and away from temptation, looking for any changes in your neighbourhood?

Surrounded by food all day can’t be easy. Good to chat about it though and get some support. X

adrian1der

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Stitch147 sorry to hear you're feeling down. Lots of good advice above. You've got on top of this once so I am absolutely positive that you can do it again. Why not set yourself a simple target - aim for below 65 this time?

Flower

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Stitch I'm really sorry you're struggling. You are fabulous with everything you do for Diabetes UK and us on the forum. All the millions of steps you do for charity - that's not lacking motivation or willpower! It is really hard to sustain dealing with diabetes because life just muddles things up and these last few months in lockdown when you have been working so hard to keep food on the shelves have been really hard to get through. There's approx 3 months to go until July and it only takes a few more in range results each day to get back on track with your HbA1c and get under 65.

You’re not alone with it, wishing you well and cheering you on xx

Last edited:

mikeydt1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
stitch please don't get yourself down it is like anything else when we achieve a goal like weight loss or what ever it is like a different switch goes on and we then forget what we had to do to get to that goal, i have been there myself and i think many of us have.

when we know we have to do something over again it can be so hard to get that first step done, some where you will find it, it doesn't matter when at least you know what has happened and you now know that you can at some point achieve your goal again.

hopefully the damage isn't too bad, please what ever you do don't get upset by what has happened.

i have been through a lot myself over the months so if you ever need to private message then feel free.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Ah @Stitch147 I feel for you. It’s been a tough year and you’ve worked blooming hard. Sometimes things give. The good thing is you have recognised that things have somewhat “ slipped”. Why don’t you just take each day at a time and concentrate on one change. For example, start testing more, this will at least give you a basis to start on. It might not be as bad as you think. Then once you’ve established the areas where there’s a problem, deal with that one. And so on.

Come back on the morning thread, no one will judge you and the craic is good. Pretend you’re brand new and starting on your diabetes journey. Hopefully you’ll be inspired by those who are doing well, or at least know you’re not the only one in a similar position and can console and encourage each other.

Is it maybe a time to review your medication? I know this is a bad time to actually speak to anyone in the medical profession let alone see someone in real life! But, bite the bullet and go for it.

We’re all here for you. Xx

Ljc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I am so sorry to hear you are struggling @Stitch147 .
One way or another it’s been a bit of a tough year for us all, then add fickle diabetes into the mix and .....

I’ve fallen off the wagon quite a few time myself recently, last night I scoffed a whole pack of fry’s Turkish delight, yes all three of them one right after another its not the first time either , it wouldn’t have been so bad if it was halfway decent Turkish delight , but Fry’s o_O .

Please try not to beat yourself up about it , we all know you are trying so hard but having to do battle with diabetes everyday then seeing how it’s tries to scupper all your efforts , we’ll putting it mildly it’s so disheartening isn’t it .
Please try and talk to your nurse, Gp or anyone who will listen to you about how you are feeling

TC,
XXX

Maca44

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Come back and post your morning BG's it's nothing to feel bad about you always see peoples up's & down's. If you feel tearful then be tearful because that's how you feel, food has always been my biggest struggle and I know how hard it can be when your mind is constantly telling you to eat and it's normally stuff that isn't so good for us.

Keep plugging away

Cherrelle DUK

Online Community Coordinator
Staff member
Hi Stitch, lovely to meet you.

Really sorry to hear that you're struggling at the moment. It's natural to be fed up, especially if you've been doing well and the numbers aren't reflecting this.

If there's one principle that can prove useful in these's times it's 'stay in the room'. It doesn't matter what your numbers are, no one is here to judge you as we all make mistakes and fall off of the wagon. The important thing is to stay connected, keep showing up and allow the support from the community to encourage you, even when you aren't 'doing well'.

This is a journey and so is full of ups and downs. Might be worth picking one thing that you can improve for two weeks, can be really small just to get back in the swing of things and see how you get on.

Be gentle with yourself and let us know if there's anything we can do to support you.

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
Thanks everyone. I've been feeling down for a while now, missing friends etc. I know I'll get back on track and I just need to give myself a kick up the butt. Small steps will be the way to go and I'll start testing more and hopefully those good habits I had will start coming back. Being surrounded by food all day doesn't always help, especially when you see all the nice new things that come in that I can't really have. At least we've got british strawberries back in.

mikeydt1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
stitch i worked in a well know super store and actually worked in food prep along with making pizza all day and got to put my hand up to having the odd bit of food so know what you are feeling been surrounded by the stuff all day. when you are a diabetic and surrounded by the stuff then the temptations are there. please though don't blame yourself for what has happened.

it is only like me. i lost weight then gained weight then lost it and so on it is difficult to get that balance.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been feeling a bit down but I just had sugar free jelly with extra thick double cream whisked in as breakfast.
I made it last night and put extra gelatine in, and it separates out into two layers with clear jelly on the bottom. Sometimes something quite simple can be mood altering.

Veenorthants

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@Stitch147 you are definitely not alone, I am no different I haven't been on this site for a month as not in a very good headspace with one thing and another. My blood sugars are all over the place, haven't really changed my eating to be fair but have been quite stressed so have decided that could be a majoring factor as an increase in meds has made no difference.

I hope you manage to turn the page and press the restart button ;)

EllsBells

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@Stitch147 you are definitely not alone, I am no different I haven't been on this site for a month as not in a very good headspace with one thing and another. My blood sugars are all over the place, haven't really changed my eating to be fair but have been quite stressed so have decided that could be a majoring factor as an increase in meds has made no difference.

I hope you manage to turn the page and press the restart button ;)
And for you too!

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ah @Stitch147 :( :( :(

Really sorry to read how tough you have been finding things. And yes, it really can feel like an uphill battle at times.

Big hugs to you, and thanks for being open and honest - sharing how you are feeling. I hope you have found that helpful in some small way.

I think we all go through periods of this kind of burnout from time to time. It isn‘t your fault, and it doesn’t mean you’ve done anything ‘wrong’. And it doesn’t mean it will last forever either - hoping you will find your way through this slump soon.