Kidney and blood pressure result looking for recommendations for BP machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinty2001

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Good and not so good news my kidney test has righted itself and I think it’s due to coming off naproxene. My BP is 150/90 he’s given me a week to test it at home and see if it comes down. I have to buy a machine as there’s a long waiting list for a prescribed one I am looking for recommendations of which machine to buy. I am trying to avoid more medication. Ty

Can't go far wrong with an Omron. I gave mine away & replaced it with a cheap Salter. It's actually painful to use because the cuff inflates so tightly! The BHF have an approved selection.

I would like one with an App if possible I’m going to boots in about half an hour and I know you guys will keep me right. Used to have an Omron tooth brush and was a good make if I go on meds won’t be using it after this week Ty

I would like one with an App if possible I’m going to boots in about half an hour and I know you guys will keep me right. Used to have an Omron tooth brush and was a good make if I go on meds won’t be using it after this week Ty
I got a Boots one years ago (which conformed to the relevant standards and so on), and it compared well with what my GP used (I took it in one appointment). Doesn't have an app, but does have a memory.

I got a Boots one years ago (which conformed to the relevant standards and so on), and it compared well with what my GP used (I took it in one appointment). Doesn't have an app, but does have a memory.
I’m on my way to boots just now I looked on Argos and they have the Motrin reduced from £30 to 21 or something like that.

I’m on my way to boots just now I looked on Argos and they have the Motrin reduced from £30 to 21 or something like that.
Their cheapest Kinetiq seems to be £17.50 (they say it's been validated), and it has a 90 reading memory. (Unlike the £21.75 Omron M2 Basic New Blood Pressure Monitor which seems to only remember the last reading, though it may also be able to detect irregular heartbeats.)

I suspect they're both just fine, as is the £21 Boots one. And I doubt the memory actually matters that much to most of us. Technology moves forwards, I guess (I'm pretty sure the one I bought was cheap at the time, and I'm sure it cost more like £50). I presume BP monitors are just more popular now so the price (for reasonable quality monitors) has fallen.

another vote for omron
took mine into dr and compared it to a manual blood pressure read and was spot on 🙂

another vote for omron
When I bought my Boots monitor it looked awfully like one of the Omron range. I suspect they were both the same thing, really (with different branding). I suspect they're all fine, though I suggest taking it in to the next appointment so you can compare it with what the GP or nurse is using.

Make sure the cuff is comfortable for you as we bought a second machine which the cuff was a rigid band which was too long to fit in the correct place for me and was dreadfully uncomfortable.
Yes Omron are ones many GPs opt for in there take out kit.

I bought this there was £9 off I guessed it was middle of the road. Will try it out cuff size and how to work it shortly thank you everyone the price of some went really high.

Attachments

• IMG_5847.jpeg
    IMG_5847.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 6
The health app on your phone will probably allow manual recording of readings & might offer an easier insight of trends.

Can't go far wrong with an Omron. I gave mine away & replaced it with a cheap Salter. It's actually painful to use because the cuff inflates so tightly! The BHF have an approved selection.

Have you checked that you have the correct size of cuff?
When I bought my device at the clinic pharmacy they checked and advised a larger cuff, which I needed to replace as my arm size changed over the years - first to an even larger size and then down two sizes after diagnosis and low carb. Ironically I think I now use the one which came with the device.

Have you checked that you have the correct size of cuff?
When I bought my device at the clinic pharmacy they checked and advised a larger cuff, which I needed to replace as my arm size changed over the years - first to an even larger size and then down two sizes after diagnosis and low carb. Ironically I think I now use the one which came with the device.
@Drummer I just tried it and has gone down a bit since this morning 143/79 I had problems using the wrong arm and the cuff inside out lol but I got there. I have a thin arm on the right as I had rotator cuff surgery and the muscles never really expanded. It fits fine for now. I got it in Argos. They have a better selection than boots the chemist. I would have gone for a British heart foundation one but I don’t have time to wait for delivery as he’s phoning next Tuesday . I can always change. I’m glad I stopped Naproxene as it was on every ramipril website I looked at. At least my kidneys are working now it’s the BP to tackle. I feel with Naproxene , I had 1000mg/ day, that I’ve dodged a bullet. You’ve all been great thank you it’s on the BHF website the One Omron Mk2

Last edited:
I used an Omron 3 - no app but had memory. Do a few comparisons between right and left, as it's not recommended to use your Libre arm!

That looks very similar to our one which is good. The cuff we had had for ages developed a puncture and it was only then we realised cuffs were available in different sizes.

I used an Omron 3 - no app but had memory. Do a few comparisons between right and left, as it's not recommended to use your Libre arm!
I don’t have a libre I’m in remission. That’s why they’re puzzled where the kidney and BP came from. I think the naproxene and knowing what I know now I don’t think diabetics should be prescribed it.

That looks very similar to our one which is good. The cuff we had had for ages developed a puncture and it was only then we realised cuffs were available in different sizes.
im getting a sever error

Another vote for Omron (preferably one with their Intelli wrap cuff). I have the app synced between my iPhone and iPad; it's user friendly with historical data clearly displayed in a list or graph format.

I don’t have a libre I’m in remission. That’s why they’re puzzled where the kidney and BP came from. I think the naproxene and knowing what I know now I don’t think diabetics should be prescribed it.

My cardiologist told me to take neither Ibuprofen nor Naproxen as they adversely interact with other meds. A friend stopped taking Naproxen as it relieved the pain but had other adverse effects!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back