Keto diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazpopjen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My son is following the keto diet and I am trying it. He says not to eat fruit, is this correct and is this safe for me with type 2. I crave fruit and got into trouble eating an apple today, but I feel the need for fibre (if you know what I mean). Does anyone have an opinion please.

My son is following the keto diet and I am trying it. He says not to eat fruit, is this correct and is this safe for me with type 2. I crave fruit and got into trouble eating an apple today, but I feel the need for fibre (if you know what I mean). Does anyone have an opinion please.
Hi there Dazpojen.

On a keto diet, carbs should be restricted to less than 20gr per day. Bearing in mind an average apple is roughly 20gr itsellf, it make it tricky.

Some people eat the apple skin, but leave the rest, or share with their partner, or such like. That gives you the fibre, but much less carb.

Personally, I find the relationship between toilet activity and fibre isn't incredibly strong. I am much more regular, and comfortable ensuring I eat enough fat. (For some, too much fat can lead to, erm,...... over-activity in the loo.)

When making bigger changes to diet, it is important to take into account any medication you are taking. Do you take any meds to help with your T2?

Many members here seem to find a moderate-low carb diet just as effective for blood glucose management as a keto diet, but with more flexibility in terms of fruits and veg that can be accommodated. Some define low carb as starting below 130g of carbs a day (though some here do better on a little more or less than that).

Psyllium husk seems to be a source of fibre with little available carbohydrate if your digestive system is finding things tough on keto.

Alternatively you may decide to opt for a ‘low BG’ menu rather than aiming for ketosis, and use a BG meter to fine tune the amounts and sources of carbs that your body copes well with?

My personal opinion about managing Type 2 diabetes is having an eating regime that is enjoyable and sustainable which I'm not sure Keto is realistically. You need a regime which is a new way of eating for life otherwise all the hard work can easily be lost and you will be back where you started of worse.
Low carb approaches have been found to be successful and people find an amount of carbs that makes for enjoyable meals at the same time reducing blood glucose and weight if needed.
I followed the principals in this link which is low carb not NO carb and found about 70g per day carbs has enabled me to reduce blood glucose from 50mmol/mol to below 40 where I have maintained for nearly 3 years so far. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

20 is very low isn't it? That's Atkins Induction and you're only supposed to stay on that for a fortnight. 🙂 I used to love fruit, now it takes me all my time to eat it. I'd like to pig on grapes but that's a nono. 🙄:rofl:

Hi there Dazpojen.

On a keto diet, carbs should be restricted to less than 20gr per day. Bearing in mind an average apple is roughly 20gr itsellf, it make it tricky.

Some people eat the apple skin, but leave the rest, or share with their partner, or such like. That gives you the fibre, but much less carb.

Personally, I find the relationship between toilet activity and fibre isn't incredibly strong. I am much more regular, and comfortable ensuring I eat enough fat. (For some, too much fat can lead to, erm,...... over-activity in the loo.)

When making bigger changes to diet, it is important to take into account any medication you are taking. Do you take any meds to help with your T2?
Yes it's a very harsh diet to stick to, as in the UK we don't have as much keto food choices as here in Texas

The 20g “rule” is actually just guidance to ensure you reach nutritional ketosis (which is actually the true goal of a keto diet rather than having a set number of carbs). At 20g just about everyone will be in ketosis. Some reach it with as many as 50g a day.

We are all different. Some can achieve their goals at 130g carbs a day. Others really do need to be as low as 20g a day (assuming the ultimate goal is normal blood glucose levels without medication, and over time a reduction of insulin resistance and a minimisation of complications).

Many of the USA based “keto” options are actually processed foods jumping on the bandwagon and of dubious nutritional value let alone health. Real keto doesn’t need fancy products just basic foods like meat, fish, eggs, dairy and lower carb veg, along with some spices and flavourings. A whole apple might not fit well into a keto diet but no one should be “in trouble” as they learn what works for them. Better the apple than many other non keto options you could have had. Berries are the best fruit to have but not in huge amounts.

Depending what your current diet is and what medication you are on, many find it better to ease their way down in carbs step by step. Testing with a meter as you go. The side effect you are experiencing can simply be that carbs hold water and without carbs you are holding less water. Drink more fluids when you switch to keto and make sure you get foods rich in potassium, magnesium, calcium, sodium (electrolytes) as the extra water can flush these through too quickly otherwise. It all usually settles a few weeks into it. Nuts, green veg, seeds especially flax, psyllium and chia can all help with more fibre too.

I usually limit myself to half a small slightly tart apple for lunch with a chunk of nice cheese. A good smoked cheddar works well and I really enjoy that combination of flavours. Then I have the other half the next day, so I still get to enjoy apples and their health benefits but just a smaller portion. Other days I have olives with Manchego cheese or feta. Those are fairly typical lunches for me, unless I have homemade soup.

We are lucky enough to bolus for the fructose regarding our condition. Some are less fortunate with the meds or non meds prescribed.

Well if this forum is an example of wider T2 community then don't see many, if any excluding fruit in their diets, be them on meds or not.

Well if this forum is an example of wider T2 community then don't see many, if any excluding fruit in their diets, be them on meds or not.

Many Type 2s on this forum following a low carb way of eating restrict their fruit intake to a few berries each day.

Those of us in these kinds of forums are the a small minority in terms of self education and not typical at all in my experience. The wider t2 community generally follows the eatwell plate (at best) as advised for so many years, and takes more and more medication and gets progressively sicker. The concept of low carb for type 2 outside of these kinds of forums is not common. It’s getting better but way too many aren’t even informed about the option. Hardly informed choice in which case.

And many have no concept of excess fructose potentially adding to non alcoholic fatty liver, (it can only be processed and stored in the liver) another metabolic condition experienced by many T2 that makes the diabetes worse.

Fructose doesn’t show up on a glucose meter so many think it’s “safe”.

Hi folks, when I eat fruit the sweetness affects me as much as bread or grains. Yogurt is better than apples. At a push some tart berries are fine. Franthepotter

Yes it's a very harsh diet to stick to, as in the UK we don't have as much keto food choices as here in Texas
In UK, I eat a reduced carb diet. Here, in SE Asia, I am almost certainly keto ( unless I steal some of MrB’s breakfast mango).

As far as keto-friendly foods are concerned, there are loads anywhere. Personally, I find sticking to simpler food easiest when doing a keto style phase. Meat, fish, eggs, cheese, above ground leafy veg, yoghurt, cream, milk, salads, spices and many seasonings, so it’s not too hard, if not looking for lots of packaged foods.

Edited to relabel keto foods to keto friendly foods, to be more accurate.

Last edited:
Tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers - all fruits.
Aubergines and avocadoes are actually berries.

Tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers - all fruits.
Aubergines and avocadoes are actually berries.

Surprising isn't it @Drummer , to exclude all fruits would make for boring diet which is probably why our T2 members here chose not to.

As @rebrascora pointed out earlier even those on low carb diet eat fruits, popular breakfast choice amoung them seems to be berries seeds & greek yogurt, all very nice & nutritious.

Surprising isn't it @Drummer , to exclude all fruits would make for boring diet which is probably why our T2 members here chose not to.

As @rebrascora pointed out earlier even those on low carb diet eat fruits, popular breakfast choice amoung them seems to be berries seeds & greek yogurt, all very nice & nutritious.
But many type 2 in here DO limit their fruit in a way you seem determined to gloss over, both in type and quantity

Eating a small amount of berries with yoghurt for breakfast or dessert or a couple of slices of apple, is very different to having even one banana (there’s a reason athletes use these for glucose fuel on long events!) let alone a bowl of pineapple, mango etc or multiple pieces a day.

Veg can have the same sort of micronutrients, without the glucose/fructose hit fruit does so no need to miss out, more get it from another source. You’d be surprised how sweet a pepper (capsicum) can seem when your tastebuds aren’t swamped in other sugars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back