Just started the path to remission program

Lou_2287

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all.
I recently joined the forum.
I have had diabetes since 2018. Had gestational when I was pregnant with my eldest 10 years ago.

I just started the NHS Type 2 Diabetes Path to Remission Programme. I’m on day 3 of the shakes.
I seem to be coping well. Hard when there is temptation especially with sorting the children.

Is there anyone else doing the program? Be nice to share the journey.

Hope ot goes well for you @Lou_2287

Keep us posted as things progress 🙂

Hi all.
I have had diabetes since 2018. Had gestational when I was pregnant with my eldest 10 years ago.

I just started the NHS Type 2 Diabetes Path to Remission Programme. I’m on day 3 of the shakes.
I seem to be coping well. Hard when there is temptation especially with sorting the children.

Hi Lou!
I started 5 days ago, so you're slightly ahead. Would love to share the journey with you, if you don't mind sharing with someone older (my 2 girls are 28 & 29)
Not sure how we link up though, other than on this thread?

Not sure how we link up though, other than on this thread?

The forum has a “private message” system where you can exchange messages out of sight of the public forum.

But often sharing experiences on a thread like this can be a better option, because then even unregistered ’lurkers’ who are just reading posts by others can get the benefit and encouragement of reading your unfolding experiences 🙂

Hi all.

You can follow my newcastle reports if you like. I just posted an 8th week summary.

Thanks I’ve had a read. I see your eating as well as the shakes? How do you find that?
I never had any meal replacement shakes before trying the newcastle diet, but even after increasing my calories, I just enjoy them, and so I've found a place for them in my diet. Here is today's menu for example:
wedmenu.jpg
I embolden items after I consume them so I know where I stand at any point in the day. I just finished a huge ham, cheese, and turkey sandwich, and last on my list is a meal replacement shake. Its chocolate and although it's not terribly sweet, it helps my sweet tooth...a nice way of saying sugar addiction. The choc at 65 calories is a single square of 70% cocoa dark chocolate that serves that purpose as well. I had a second piece, so I'll finish up with 53 carbs and 1600 calories. Right on the nose. The rest of the evening will be unsweetened seltzers and stevia-sweetened hot tea until tomorrow. BTW, the ham sandwich has that few carbs because I have it on something called an UNBELIEVABUN. Best keto bread I've ever had. Its sold here in the US by online order mainly, and its 9 carbs for a bun in total. I try and keep my sweet tooth happy without doing damage, because metaphorically speaking, if I squeeze one end of the balloon too much, it just pops out the other end. In other works, I explode and have a carb party, and I can ill afford it.

Interesting diet example there. The DiRECT study ( Newcastle Diet) recommended a high carb diet with 60% of calories coming from carbs. In your example you had 13% of calories from carbs. You had 34% from protein ( usual recommendations 10-20%). Then 53% came from fats ( standard recommendation upto 35% with at least 25% from 'good fats'.
Assumes the 49 and 130 are grams. And 4 calories from Protein and carbs and 9 from fats.

Interesting diet example there. The DiRECT study ( Newcastle Diet) recommended a high carb diet with 60% of calories coming from carbs. In your example you had 13% of calories from carbs. You had 34% from protein ( usual recommendations 10-20%). Then 53% came from fats ( standard recommendation upto 35% with at least 25% from 'good fats'.
Assumes the 49 and 130 are grams. And 4 calories from Protein and carbs and 9 from fats.
The percentage of carbs is different, but total of carbs identical to Newcastle. My protein is not 34%; I wish it was. 130g is less than 10 per cent of my total calories. I'd like to increase protein because it has a greater impact on satiety than either fat or carbs. I don't remember the direct study being a high carb diet, although it has been described as, "carby". In any case Prof Taylor's focus is on adequate nutrition while keeping total calories less than 800. I also understand that the direct study is introducing more flexible caloric intakes for those that find 700 difficult.

The percentage of carbs is different, but total of carbs identical to Newcastle. My protein is not 34%; I wish it was. 130g is less than 10 per cent of my total calories. I'd like to increase protein because it has a greater impact on satiety than either fat or carbs. I don't remember the direct study being a high carb diet, although it has been described as, "carby". In any case Prof Taylor's focus is on adequate nutrition while keeping total calories less than 800. I also understand that the direct study is introducing more flexible caloric intakes for those that find 700 difficult.
Your 130g of Protein produces 520 calories ( there are 4 calories from 1 gram of Protein, 4 from carbs and 9 from Fat). 520 calories is 34% ( 33.88% to be exact) of your 1535 total calories. Heavy Protein loads are generally thought to put the kidneys under pressure ( which is one of the reasons Low Carb diets are traditionally not recommended or only for short periods as at Diabetes UK).

Last edited:
Heavy Protein loads are generally thought to put the kidneys under pressure
That I think is a myth. Prof. Taylor is not dogmatic about the make up of calories. In his communication to me he advised only that the shakes/salad combination be nutritionally complete. The minimum protein requirements for someone my height and weight are considered to be approximately 80 g. Prof Taylor makes it clear that he's not anti-carb. His point is that excess weight is the enemy, and that conquering that will lead to remission and permit an ordinary isocaloric diet. That said, a low carb or even ketogenic diet is standard procedure for anyone with T2D, and if you don't lower the river, you're going to have to raise the bridge (take medication). I take no medication, and my sugar is normal. My kidney function is stage 2, but then so is most everyone else's in the U.S. and likely the UK, especially when you reach 70.

Last edited:
Kidneys have lots of fine tubules - carbs in the diet, resulting in angular crystals of simple sugars in the fluids being dealt with, cause damage.
Stopping the loads of carbs diet reduces the work the kidneys need to do - it even saves on wear and tear on the stair/hall carpet.
I have read of improvement in kidney function and a reduction in confusion in elderly relatives taken out of care homes when the money ran out and not given the 'energy drinks' so essential to geriatrics.

Glad you’ve found a method that is working for you @mhtyler

Good that your kidney health is being monitored - that must be reassuring for you. 🙂

Hi all.

Hi,

Hope you don't mind me asking how long did it take you to get on the programme?

Hi,

Hi there! Happy to set up a chat if you want - I've just completed 8 weeks TDR & have lost 11.8kg (26lb) in that time, with another 1kg lost in the few weeks before (probably because metformin, which I've now stopped taking, was making me nauseous & causing some vomiting!) Nearly just overweight rather than clinically obese ...

Steady loss, it's boring but so much easier than trying to cut portions alongside eating with a partner who eats all the wrong foods & hates salad!

I'd been pre-diabetic since 2016, but managed ok until I put a stone on after neck surgery in August which tipped me over. Blood results in Jan, diabetic nurse review at GPs 31st Jan. She mentioned the Path to Remission, saying noone had been interested so far, and was surprised when I said yes! GP also fascinated to learn about it when I've had to talk to her about meds. Started 5th March so very quick

Good luck!

Thank
Hi there! Happy to set up a chat if you want - I've just completed 8 weeks TDR & have lost 11.8kg (26lb) in that time, with another 1kg lost in the few weeks before (probably because metformin, which I've now stopped taking, was making me nauseous & causing some vomiting!) Nearly just overweight rather than clinically obese ...

Steady loss, it's boring but so much easier than trying to cut portions alongside eating with a partner who eats all the wrong foods & hates salad!

I'd been pre-diabetic since 2016, but managed ok until I put a stone on after neck surgery in August which tipped me over. Blood results in Jan, diabetic nurse review at GPs 31st Jan. She mentioned the Path to Remission, saying noone had been interested so far, and was surprised when I said yes! GP also fascinated to learn about it when I've had to talk to her about meds. Started 5th March so very quick

Good luck!
Thanks for getting in contact,

i was 1st offered a referral to the Oviva path to remission program on the 15th of Feb, i have just today been offered the chance to start it, and the first date available for a consultation with my coach is the 21st of June! i have just order my shakes for the first 4 weeks, but just want to get it started!
I have already lost 6Kgs, which is great but i really want to start the programme!

Good luck! I'd recommend signing up for the online group chat - I've a feeling I either had an email about it or found it on the website - in plenty of time before you start. (I'm using the Oviva app too). Lots of sensible advice & suggestions plus a chance to ask questions, which meant I got more out of my telephone call on Day 1 (plus knew how it worked)

Lots of good info gradually opens up on the app as you progress through. At least 4 of them should be read before you start (I've got to 13 at 8 weeks & there are 49 in total - I think they spread out over the whole 12 months). There are also weekly selections of bits of info as well. Chat is useful if you have questions, plus in the first weeks they touch base fairly frequently.

Hi,

I was referred last March to start the programme in November but they didn’t have enough numbers for the meetings. So started it in January.
I attended one to one meetings which I now believe has stopped and it’s virtual. Think it depends on the area

Hi all.

I am doing this and finding it very useful. That anxiety of 0 food intake was pretty much murdered with the overwhelming shake that shook my stomach. Not a great taste but keep me filled up. Happy to see I m skipping meals. I need to drop around 8 kgs. On 83 kg now need to be at 75.

I am in week 6 and lost 9kg. Managed to reduce my blood sugar to 4.2 before I was taken off metformin as I started to get get low blood sugar symptoms. I am finding it ok but struggling with the lack of energy so not being able to really exercise.

Back