Just random question about question about hypos(not in worrying way just poundering)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
So I just wondering what's would you consider being too many hypos?(i meab n a normal crisstane not while the country has seen to set it's slef on fire)

Last edited:
Consultant was horrified at the idea of my having more than 3 in a week.
Diabetes nurse - a bit more realistically! - told me to aim for fewer than 7 in a week.
Chance would be a fine thing :rofl:

But I suspect that for people who don't have my issues something between those is a reasonable target. Sometimes you just can't help it though, you have a week with 14 hypos ... then you have another week with 4 hypos and wonder what it was you did differently!

Consultant was horrified at the idea of my having more than 3 in a week.
Diabetes nurse - a bit more realistically! - told me to aim for fewer than 7 in a week.
Chance would be a fine thing :rofl:

But I suspect that for people who don't have my issues something between those is a reasonable target. Sometimes you just can't help it though, you have a week with 14 hypos ... then you have another week with 4 hypos and wonder what it was you did differently!
Until two weeks ago(which is when the heat wave started I was having about 1 or 2 a week which I thought was an acceptable number.was acetple number.

My Libre statistics show 22 Low Glucose Events in the last 90 days. Almost all of those 22 were from sensors reading low in relation to actual. I think I only had one real hypo and that was very mild, with a possible second while I was sleeping.

I know @rayray119 you currently don't use Libre.

@TheClockworkDodo I have my Libre alarm set at 5.6, the upper limit and once that alerts me I monitor the trend pretty diligently; I believe I intercept many potential hypos and generally slow them sufficiently to head them off. It does mean I finger prick a bit more frequently than I would wish as I get below 4.5 on Libre, ready to take JBs rather than just a biscuit, or latte and biscuit. Have you considered making fuller use of Libre alarms? Before Libre in c. Feb 2021 I was regularly going hypo, then rebounding into hyper and I hated the "entrapment" that arose from that - unwilling to risk leaving the house. Now I would be unhappy to have even 4 (real) hypos a week.

My Libre statistics show 22 Low Glucose Events in the last 90 days. Almost all of those 22 were from sensors reading low in relation to actual. I think I only had one real hypo and that was very mild, with a possible second while I was sleeping.

I know @rayray119 you currently don't use Libre.

@TheClockworkDodo I have my Libre alarm set at 5.6, the upper limit and once that alerts me I monitor the trend pretty diligently; I believe I intercept many potential hypos and generally slow them sufficiently to head them off. It does mean I finger prick a bit more frequently than I would wish as I get below 4.5 on Libre, ready to take JBs rather than just a biscuit, or latte and biscuit. Have you considered making fuller use of Libre alarms? Before Libre in c. Feb 2021 I was regularly going hypo, then rebounding into hyper and I hated the "entrapment" that arose from that - unwilling to risk leaving the house. Now I would be unhappy to have even 4 (real) hypos a week.
That wasn't really the question I was wondering what people consider as too many (just simply prodering)

I'm not going to be using the libre(not just currently not using it) at all because I thinkit'd far to say it just doesn't work on me and quite frankly a wise of NHS money if I go back to it knowing they don't last.

I normally average about 1 a day over the 90 day period, according to Libre but current stats are unfortunately higher due to a number of factors, the weather being one of them. Those however are Libre hypos and I would say that perhaps half to 2/3 are not real hypos (I often don't check them, just 2at a JB and carry on) because my Libre sensors almost always read lower than BG. I am comfortable with that level. I don't find, like some people do, that hypos trigger highs and start a rollercoaster and my lows are usually very mild ones.

I normally average about 1 a day over the 90 day period, according to Libre but current stats are unfortunately higher due to a number of factors, the weather being one of them. Those however are Libre hypos and I would say that perhaps half to 2/3 are not real hypos (I often don't check them, just 2at a JB and carry on) because my Libre sensors almost always read lower than BG. I am comfortable with that level. I don't find, like some people do, that hypos trigger highs and start a rollercoaster and my lows are usually very mild ones.
Yeah that's way I said on a normal cristmistane not well the sky's seem to set it's slef on fire)

Before switching over to a pump, I had at least one per day. They were mild (>3.5) so some didn’t count them as hypos. I also pick them up at around 4.2. Once I was on a pump and using the Libre I reduced this a bit, as I was able to head them off. I still had about 4 per week on average.

I decided that this was too many for me and was Trying to get them down but as a result was not happy with higher HbA1c. Since going on closed loop in normal weather I now have them rarely, and when I do it is usually because
  • I am on extended periods of exercise, which is still tricky to manage,
  • I just got my carbs wrong, or
  • I pre boluses and then got distracted.
Having said that this weather has taken a bit of getting used to, and It took a while to find the appropriate strategies.

Mine are much the same, mostly in the 3s and hardly ever triggering highs (in fact, the opposite - I tend to hypo after I've been high), though I average rather more than 1 a day - often more like 2 a day. But some of mine are also Libre hypos, so probably 1/3 of mine are not real hypos.

@Proud to be erratic that would be a good idea, but unfortunately I am acutely sensitive to noise, thanks to another disability, which means I can't use alarms - I have all sound turned off on all devices. I had a hospital CGM for a week before I got the Libre and it drove me absolutely mad, alarming on the way up after I had treated the hypo, as well as on the way down - there's no way I could cope with that in the long term, I would be screaming with pain and literally tearing out my hair (have done that before when there was too much noise). I'm not sure the Libre alarms would help me much anyway, as my Libre sensors nearly always read lower than my meter, so they'd be going off nearly all the time!

but unfortunately I am acutely sensitive to noise, thanks to another disability, which means I can't use alarms - I have all sound turned off on all devices.
I found the Libre alarms on my phone really annoying (and couldn't seem to work out how to change them acceptably) so I use the reader for the alarms and just have it set to vibrate which I find is quite sufficient.

Personally, even having one proper mild hypo a day (ie not Libre exaggerated ones) wouldn't bother me practically as I don't generally find them debilitating but I am aware that my hypo awareness is potentially at risk. Currently like @SB2015 I get hypo awareness in the low 4s most of the time but I don't feel that they affect my quality of life. I think for me the concern is that, because I am confident dealing with them that I perhaps don't worry about them enough. It is a fine balance between fearing them which obviously impacts your quality of life and being too laid back about them. For instance, I woke up to one last night at 4.12am. Popped a couple of jelly babies in my mouth and gave them a bit chew and was asleep again within probably about 2 minutes. No retest as I could not stay awake long enough to do it. Woke up at 7.30am in the red again ate another JB. I don't feel any ill effects from having those hypos, although the first one I woke up a bit hot and sweaty. No fear of going back to sleep. There was a time early on after diagnosis when I would wake up every few hours to test because I was terrified of having a nocturnal hypo. Now I have experience of them, that fear doesn't keep me awake at night. Not sure if I have gone too far the other way but I see them now as a bit of a nuisance but nothing more.
I should say that I get days where I might have 2 or 3 in a 24 hour period (or on a bad day... occasionally more) and other days when I have none. My basal needs vary A LOT which is the main reason for them and why I am so thankful for Levemir enabling me to adjust for that as much as I can.

Before switching over to a pump, I had at least one per day. They were mild (>3.5) so some didn’t count them as hypos. I also pick them up at around 4.2. Once I was on a pump and using the Libre I reduced this a bit, as I was able to head them off. I still had about 4 per week on average.

I decided that this was too many for me and was Trying to get them down but as a result was not happy with higher HbA1c. Since going on closed loop in normal weather I now have them rarely, and when I do it is usually because
  • I am on extended periods of exercise, which is still tricky to manage,
  • I just got my carbs wrong, or
  • I pre boluses and then got distracted.
Having said that this weather has taken a bit of getting used to, and It took a while to find the appropriate strategies.
em yes is hard to get things right on pens because even a mild change can cause problems at other times of day(even with a a split dose of livermir.

I found the Libre alarms on my phone really annoying (and couldn't seem to work out how to change them acceptably) so I use the reader for the alarms and just have it set to vibrate which I find is quite sufficient.
I also use just the reader, admittedly with both alarms and vibrate. I find the reader simpler - much more user friendly for scans and most likely to get a result first time. But the reader is more basic so I activate my phone after the reader to get the more siphisticated info from LibreView. I understand readers are hard to get hold off these days - a scarce resource apparently.

But the reader is more basic so I activate my phone after the reader to get the more siphisticated info from LibreView.
Yes, I use both too, and most often I use my phone for scanning and viewing the results. (And partly because that also uploads the readings to LibreView.)

All my phone does are texts and phone calls! :rofl:

I think for me the concern is that, because I am confident dealing with them that I perhaps don't worry about them enough. It is a fine balance between fearing them which obviously impacts your quality of life and being too laid back about them. ... I see them now as a bit of a nuisance but nothing more.
Same here, I am so confident dealing with hypos that they rarely bother me - I'm much more concerned by highs as they are so much harder to treat and take so much longer to recover from, even though I know hypos are potentially more dangerous.
I should say that I get days where I might have 2 or 3 in a 24 hour period (or on a bad day... occasionally more) and other days when I have none. My basal needs vary A LOT which is the main reason for them and why I am so thankful for Levemir enabling me to adjust for that as much as I can.
I get that too, never know whether I'm going to have a day with several hypos or a day with none - the latter's rare, but it does happen from time to time, and I often have a day with just one mild one and then for no apparent reason the next day I might have three or four (or vice versa). I think I'd find Levemir helpful too, Tresiba (while loads better than Lantus) is not really appropriate when you're sensitive to insulin.

Not sure any of us have answered @rayray119 's question, though I suspect that may be because it varies from person to person - too many for one person is hardly any for another.

A couple of mouths back I had lot's of hypros though out the day and a couple at night two I phoned my drs who I spoke with one of the diabetic nurses who asked me what my insulin dosage was like and suggest I lower my dosage 2 at a time which helped . of couse a couple weeks later my blood surgers went up put ive now been able to find the right insulin dosage.

I can sometimes be quitty of not checking soon enough thinking I'm just hot etc or if I've already felt hot and had confirmed it's not. Also I seem get to new sytmtome so I must remember to make note of of them so if I feel them.

A couple of mouths back I had lot's of hypros though out the day and a couple at night two I phoned my drs who I spoke with one of the diabetic nurses who asked me what my insulin dosage was like and suggest I lower my dosage 2 at a time which helped . of couse a couple weeks later my blood surgers went up put ive now been able to find the right insulin dosage.
Are you on pens as well. I'm currently having one(admitlly I probably didn't check soon enough(however I think that can been a hypo symptom in its self" even thinking "nots never been a hypo symptom"(em yeah but it doesn't mean it's not now") however I did go back up with Livermir today because the reason I put down over the last two days was to deal with the extreme heat and the weather was cooler so seemed logical however there it might not be the increase thay caused it because I think of couple of other things that caused it

Just had a random thought about awareness of them on the occasions u felt worse while treatming one I wonder if it's because I'm telling my bread "hey no someonerhings wrong" so it catches up"

I get that too, never know whether I'm going to have a day with several hypos or a day with none - the latter's rare, but it does happen from time to time, and I often have a day with just one mild one and then for no apparent reason the next day I might have three or four (or vice versa). I think I'd find Levemir helpful too, Tresiba (while loads better than Lantus) is not really appropriate when you're sensitive to insulin.
Oh yes triesriba when I was on it They were like "your tribrisabis looks good because it's felt at night" yeah it differently wasn't okay at night though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back