Just One Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Having just shouted at the radio I thought I would do the same on here.

Can we teach Michael Mosley on his programme to do Just One Thing
He should refer to Blood Glucose NOT Blood sugar levels. I am convinced that this incorrect reference, promotes the misconception that we need to focus on sugar rather than carbohydrates, of which sugar is just one tiny bit.

Not sure how to complain to him or whether it will be heard but worth a try.

Rant over

He should refer to Blood Glucose NOT Blood sugar levels. I am convinced that this incorrect reference, promotes the misconception that we need to focus on sugar rather than carbohydrates, of which sugar is just one tiny bit.

Rant over
It also one of my bugbears so if I could I would give you triple stars.

I think you are absolutely right but I suspect he talks in a language that he thinks everyone will understand.

He knows full well it's glucose but also knows the word 'sugar' is one that everyone understands and he's playing to the lowest common denominator.

Also agree with your rant Sue. It is one of those little things that really irritates me too because it promotes misunderstanding and there is already enough of that with diabetes.

Maybe he's old school, always was referred to blood sugars back in the day, not sure what age guy is mind.

Tbh it doesn't bother me one little bit if honest, it means same thing either way.

Seems an odd thing to get hot under the collar over, especially when many established members of this forum use the same terminology. Seems a bit like railing against someone who calls their vacuum cleaner a Hoover when it's made by someone else. Yes it's technically incorrect but everyone knows what they mean.

Seems an odd thing to get hot under the collar over, especially when many established members of this forum use the same terminology. Seems a bit like railing against someone who calls their vacuum cleaner a Hoover when it's made by someone else. Yes it's technically incorrect but everyone knows what they mean.
My reason is that it promotes the idea that it is just sugar that causes problems for people with Diabetes.

We are all allowed a rant now and then.

Our local "newspaper" website seems to have more articles about the views that Michael Mosley is pushing than actual real news stories!

I think @Deb_I is correct, myself. There again the entire medical profession referring to BG results as BMs infuriates me every sodding time I hear it said. Yeah Yeah I know precisely why they do - been there, that T-shirt went in the bin decades ago ...... it simply grates.

One thing that grated against me was on his recent TV series was his black and white approach to diet, cutting out everything that was remotely bad.

One example was criticising the use of microwave porridge as being too high in sugar. Now I don't know about everyone else, but I don't have time to be cooking porridge oats from scratch on a morning, not to mention that Oat So Simple porridge actually results in me having a lower blood glucose value 2 hours after eating than before, so my body clearly can handle it. In comparison to many other breakfast cereals (Crunchy Nut cornflakes, Coco Pops, even most granolas), any form of porridge is surely an improvement.

To me, diet is about shades of grey. We don't want to go all out and eliminate all remotely bad foods, or it's simply not sustainable in the long term. OK, for the time he was monitoring the families on the programme, it may have been sustainable, but how long would it be before people went back to how they were before? In most cases, the best way to deal with these things is to make small, gradual changes, that way they are less of a shock and easier to turn into longer term good habits.

Rant over
Rant away. Can’t stand the guy - just one thing? He’s up to about 40 things, and counting!

The error that really bugs me is when journalists write about controlling insulin levels instead of glucose levels. It’s gibberish!

What’s BM stand for @trophywench?

Rant over
Rant away. Can’t stand the guy - just one thing? He’s up to about 40 things, and counting!

The error that really bugs me is when journalists write about controlling insulin levels instead of glucose levels. It’s gibberish!

What’s BM stand for @trophywench?
Boehringer Manheim were the first company to develop a blood glucose monitoring system from a finger prick in 1983, hence BM

I think @Deb_I is correct, myself. There again the entire medical profession referring to BG results as BMs infuriates me every sodding time I hear it said. Yeah Yeah I know precisely why they do - been there, that T-shirt went in the bin decades ago ...... it simply grates.
I think it stands for “ Boehringer Mannheim?” The test strips? (Back in the day for general blood testing.)
Which is a little like saying “doing the Hoovering” when one was using a Dyson. 😉

Edit; lol, beaten to it.

See? - us lot know exactly why it is. BUT!!! if you happen to ask most folk testing your or your family's BG why they all call it 'testing your BM' 99% of them have no idea, and actually say they've just come to 'check your BMs' - well luv I have never in my whole life had any BMs whatever (unless it's testing my brain for bloody mindedness, obviously! I do believe you'd be likely to finding I'm well supplied with that !)

Now I don't know about everyone else, but I don't have time to be cooking porridge oats from scratch on a morning
It literally takes a couple of minutes in the microwave to cook porridge from scratch, exactly the same time as “oats so simple”

I offen say blood sugar

It literally takes a couple of minutes in the microwave to cook porridge from scratch, exactly the same time as “oats so simple”
That's interesting, I was about to say the same. I put ordinary porage oats to soak overnight in 50/50 water/semi-skimmed milk with a pinch of salt and about 15g sultanas. Five minutes in the microwave with a stir half way through - all done! 🙂

One thing that grated against me was on his recent TV series was his black and white approach to diet, cutting out everything that was remotely bad.

One example was criticising the use of microwave porridge as being too high in sugar. Now I don't know about everyone else, but I don't have time to be cooking porridge oats from scratch on a morning, not to mention that Oat So Simple porridge actually results in me having a lower blood glucose value 2 hours after eating than before, so my body clearly can handle it. In comparison to many other breakfast cereals (Crunchy Nut cornflakes, Coco Pops, even most granolas), any form of porridge is surely an improvement.

To me, diet is about shades of grey. We don't want to go all out and eliminate all remotely bad foods, or it's simply not sustainable in the long term. OK, for the time he was monitoring the families on the programme, it may have been sustainable, but how long would it be before people went back to how they were before? In most cases, the best way to deal with these things is to make small, gradual changes, that way they are less of a shock and easier to turn into longer term good habits.
The pain sachets of proggie don't actually have any suger In according to and Ingredients

I didn't actually know who he was but looked him up after finding thiid thread and came across a vedio where he said "type 1 diabetes is a auto immune condition which affects the young" and that's not right granted the vedio was from 7 years ago so ge couldn't no better by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back