Just moved from SA to UK, how hard is it going to be to get approved to drive?

danicatype1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Im 26 years old and just moved to the UK from South Africa. I’m about to do my license exchange and fill out the forms, will be submitting the Diab1 form with that application to notify DVLA of my condition. Just checking what info they’ll need to check. Apologising for all the questions in advance!!

FYI: I’m type one, don’t have issues with many Hypos (the serious ones), I’m hypo -aware, and don’t have any diabetes related complications. Eyesight is also good.

I don’t have a medical history here and have only just registered with a GP, Do I need to plan to see my GP ASAP? Do I need a letter from my GP? What will they ask the GP anyway if they’re contacted? I understand the DVLA are worried about lows, but what about highs? Do I need to have a pristine HBA1C?

I have a recommendation letter from my previous doctor but that’s really for recommended continuous pump use so I can try and get funding from the NHS. The letter does state that I used to suffer with lows but with the pump and cgm I’m all good to go. Will this letter suffice for medical?

Im freaking out a little!! Is the turnaround time fast either? I need to be driving soon..

You’ll need to answer the questions on the DIAB1 form honestly. Their concerns are severe hypos and hypo awareness, along with eyesight. I’ve found the licences are taking a while. I’m just renewing mine. It’s been approved but still not received it. I applied in May.

Unfortunately, you may as well be asking "how long is a piece of string?"
I applied for my license online last year and it arrived within less than a week. This was a renewal (our driving licenses are only valid for 3 years) and I have no other issues.
I would recommend registering with a GP asap as the application form (DIAB1) asks for permission to contact your doctor and I do not know if they would accept a contact outside the UK.

Hi @danicatype1 ,

your best bet might be contacting the DVLA directly as they'll be able to answer your questions without any doubt. The rules can sometimes be quite complex, but getting the answers directly form them will ensure you know exactly what to expect and do, especially coming in with an international license. Here's their contact for Medical Enquiries line:

Telephone: 0300 790 6806
Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
Saturdays, 8am to 2pm

I’ve found the licences are taking a while. I’m just renewing mine. It’s been approved but still not received it. I applied in May.
Same here. Our youngest has a medical condition that means he gets a 5-year licence. His current one expires on August 1st and we applied to renew it at the beginning of May. Still waiting. Fortunately he meets the criteria for section 88.

Mine new provisional only took a few weeks to be completed. The bit that took the longest was it arriving in the post. Definitely telephone them

I have had issues contacting the DVLA, and now I send every correspondence Special Delivery only, keep a copy and download the signed for receipt by the DVLA. That way they cannot say they never received my correspondence. You will definitely need a special eye test. I hope by now you are registered with a GP, and have enquired about driving under Section 88 until your licence arrives.

Well we only know the effect of Section 88 on UK licence holders. Does it apply similarly to non-UK licence holders?

Back