Just joined

Skachill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone
I’m not newly diagnosed with T2 but have been on a long journey of reactions to medications. Finally started Mounjaro and would like to know how others are coping.

Hello everyone
I’m not newly diagnosed with T2 but have been on a long journey of reactions to medications. Finally started Mounjaro and would like to know how others are coping.
Welcome to the forum. I don't know that many people are taking this medication yet as there are only a couple of posts on the topic, which you can find using the search tab.
Perhaps you would like to say a bit about your lead up to getting that medication and what sort of dietary approach have you tried alongside the previous medications.
What is your HbA1C.

Hello everyone

Welcome to the forum @Skachill

How are you finding the Mounjaro so far? Glad you have finally found something you are better able to tolerate after some experimentation.

There are some earlier threads about Mounjaro here which may be worth browsing through?

Welcome to the forum. I don't know that many people are taking this medication yet as there are only a couple of posts on the topic, which you can find using the search tab.
Perhaps you would like to say a bit about your lead up to getting that medication and what sort of dietary approach have you tried alongside the previous medications.
What is your HbA1C.
What is your HbA1C.
What is your HbA1C.
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone.

So my journey…
After 5 + years happily taking metformin managing my hba1c well. I suddenly developed a digestive issue that was quite spectacular and led to various cancer investigations before a wise consultant said stop taking metformin. The result was instantaneous. They then started me on dapagliflozin which was ok for a while before i reacted to that with abscesses. I also tried gliclazide but that caused issues as well including weight gain and sickness. So here I am now on Mounjaro current hba1c 5.2 down from 6.9. I follow a largely vegetarian Mediterranean diet but have introduced some fish to my diet to help cut down on my cheese intake

My GP is very supportive and I have regular follow ups with her and the diabetic nurse who I see once a month and talk to whenever I have concerns.

I’ve lost 8lbs in weight which is nice but not the goal. I have had some mild side effects but they settle within a couple of days. It’s strange feeling full all the time not that I have a huge appetite anyway and sometimes have to remind myself to eat. To start with I had very dramatic dreams which isn’t a recorded side effect and a mild headache. I have experienced waves of nausea, reflux and bloating but nothing a couple of gaviscon tablets can’t cope with. Certainly nothing compared to my reactions on the medications mentioned above.

As far as self administering the drug it is very straight forward. I had a session with the nurse for my first dose which was helpful and I have a handy booklet which very clearly explains the process. Personally I have found that the side effects are less when I administer it through my thigh over my stomach though I haven’t tried my arms.

On the whole it is easy to manage and I am grateful I do not need to take tablets as well. Let me know if you have any questions

L

Hi @Skachill yes there are a few of us on Mounjaro on here, MJ has been really good for me, as we’re the other similar injectables I had previously been using

like you I had prior to taking MJ
I had been on one of the flozine’s but not dapagiflozin
(Empagliflozin didn’t agree with me) but wasn’t the same side effects as you

great that your getting good support from your DSN & GP :party:

Back