just been told im high risk...

prediagirly

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Pronouns
She/Her
hey guys! this week I was told by my doctor that I've got an underactive thyroid and then later it was found that I'm also at high risk of diabetes. I've just done a shop and bought some sugar-free, salt-free snacks and foods from Sainsbury's but I'm wanting to learn more and gain more knowledge on meals I can have.

I am wanting to reduce this risk by my next blood test (in 6 weeks) so the more suggestions and advice the better!!! im 24 (25 in a month!) Female working 9-5 and I'm active in my life also! I do various muscle strengthening classes including pilates and aim to walk 5k steps a day!

hey guys! this week I was told by my doctor that I've got an underactive thyroid and then later it was found that I'm also at high risk of diabetes. I've just done a shop and bought some sugar-free, salt-free snacks and foods from Sainsbury's but I'm wanting to learn more and gain more knowledge on meals I can have.

I am wanting to reduce this risk by my next blood test (in 6 weeks) so the more suggestions and advice the better!!! im 24 (25 in a month!) Female working 9-5 and I'm active in my life also! I do various muscle strengthening classes including pilates and aim to walk 5k steps a day!
Sorry to hear that you've been found to be at risk of diabetes, and at such a young age. Were you told what your HbA1c is? It'll be a number in the range 42-47. Less than 42 is normal, more than 47 is diabetes, so the aim is to take steps to avoid stepping over the line into diabetes territory.

Can I say straight off that it's not about sugar, it's about carbohydrate in general, and sugar-free doesn't mean carbohydrate-free. Although sugar is a carbohydrate so is starch, so we're talking potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, pizza - do these form a large part of your current diet?

Sorry to hear that you've been found to be at risk of diabetes, and at such a young age. Were you told what your HbA1c is? It'll be a number in the range 42-47. Less than 42 is normal, more than 47 is diabetes, so the aim is to take steps to avoid stepping over the line into diabetes territory.

Can I say straight off that it's not about sugar, it's about carbohydrate in general, and sugar-free doesn't mean carbohydrate-free. Although sugar is a carbohydrate so is starch, so we're talking potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, pizza - do these form a large part of your current diet?
thank you for your reply Martin & my HbA1c is 44

ahhh I see!! thank you! this is why I'm wanting to take this weekend to fully understand what diabetes is and what to change in my diet - so I did eat often, I'd say 2 maybe 3 times a week and it is mainly pasta dishes, many meals that do contain potato's and rice. Thank you so much for sharing that!

I don't have the healthiest diet, eating processed foods which I'm now careful with - giving away all my instant noodle packets and microwave pizzas

Last edited:
thank you for your reply Martin & my HbA1c is 44

ahhh I see!! thank you! this is why I'm wanting to take this weekend to fully understand what diabetes is and what to change in my diet - so I did eat often, I'd say 2 maybe 3 times a week and it is mainly pasta dishes, many meals that do contain potato's and rice. Thank you so much for sharing that!

I don't have the healthiest diet, eating processed foods which I'm now careful with - giving away all my instant noodle packets and microwave pizzas
Hopefully you are not near the top of the 'at risk' zone and some modest changes will drop you down to normal of below 42mmol/mol.
This link has some good explanation, so do's and don'ts as well as menu plans to suit various tastes to give you some ideas for what sort of meals you can have. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Basing meals on meat, fish, eggs. cheese, dairy with veg, salads and fruits like berries but small portions of high carb foods. There is a lot of misapprehension that it is all about 'sugar' whereas all carbohydrates convert to glucose.
It is suggested that carbohydrate intake should be no more than 130g per day, it is not NO carbs. Just make the carbs you have worth it for flavour and enjoyment.
The book or app Carbs and Cals (or similar) is useful for giving carb values of a whole range of foods and of course shop websites have nutritional info for all the products they sell. Look for the carbs value not the 'sugar'
There is no need to buy 'special' foods, people need some salt and sometimes do not get enough if they cut out pre-prepared foods and sauces.

Hopefully you are not near the top of the 'at risk' zone and some modest changes will drop you down to normal of below 42mmol/mol.
This link has some good explanation, so do's and don'ts as well as menu plans to suit various tastes to give you some ideas for what sort of meals you can have. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Basing meals on meat, fish, eggs. cheese, dairy with veg, salads and fruits like berries but small portions of high carb foods. There is a lot of misapprehension that it is all about 'sugar' whereas all carbohydrates convert to glucose.
It is suggested that carbohydrate intake should be no more than 130g per day, it is not NO carbs. Just make the carbs you have worth it for flavour and enjoyment.
The book or app Carbs and Cals (or similar) is useful for giving carb values of a whole range of foods and of course shop websites have nutritional info for all the products they sell. Look for the carbs value not the 'sugar'
There is no need to buy 'special' foods, people need some salt and sometimes do not get enough if they cut out pre-prepared foods and sauces.
thank you for sharing that link! that makes perfect sense about carbs and maybe paring them with other food groups

I really appreciate your repsons and finding this group and when I got the call my heart sank !

thank you for sharing that link! that makes perfect sense about carbs and maybe paring them with other food groups

I really appreciate your repsons and finding this group and when I got the call my heart sank !
It is a condition which is very manageable if you take action and don't bury your head in the sand and grasp the opportunity to make better choices.
I followed the principals in the link and reduced my HbA1C from 50mmol/mol to 42 in 3 months and down to below 40 in another 6 and am still there now 3 years on. Those changes just are my new normal way of eating.

It is a condition which is very manageable if you take action and don't bury your head in the sand and grasp the opportunity to make better choices.
I followed the principals in the link and reduced my HbA1C from 50mmol/mol to 42 in 3 months and down to below 40 in another 6 and am still there now 3 years on. Those changes just are my new normal way of eating.
this is very encouraging, thank you so much for sharing your stats here

There is a huge amount of knowledge here, given freely and in a very friendly manner. I am new here but may I add that alcohol can play a part as well as food. I have dropped my BG considerably by cutting out Mr Sherry a dreadful habit picked up during COVID and allowed to continue unchecked. Spirits are OK with low cal mixers, red wine is better than sweet white and don't think beer. At least until you get started, I just cut it out
Good luck.

I was taking 200micrograms of Thyroxine for a very long time, and I had a flagged high glucose which no one told me about, ten years before diagnosis. Now I am on 125 micrograms, which still feels a bit high. My thyroid seems to be coming back from the dead.
You are quite young to be a plain uncomplicated type 2 - it might be wise to keep in mind that there are other possibilities, particularly if eating a low carb diet doesn't make much difference to glucose levels.
Do use salt - in this hot weather I get excruciating early morning wake ups from cramps if I neglect adding salt to my meals - I don't cook with salt, but I used to add a little to my coffee, but I have almost stopped drinking anything but water these days.
I'm afraid that sugar free snacks are of little benefit when attempting a lowering blood glucose, as starches are swiftly broken down to simple sugars, so 'healthy' carb heavy or wholemeal options are rather problematic.

people need some salt and sometimes do not get enough if they cut out pre-prepared foods and sauces.
I'll second this! I almost never add salt to food on the plate, when not eating processed food I eat extremely little salt, more would probably be better in my case.

Hey @prediagirly and welcome!

I'm glad to hear you're being proactive and keen to gain info. It can be really a lot all at once, but don't worry - as a few Users have mentioned you're in the right place. Any questions or worries - just post them here, nothing is too out there that someone wouldn't have an answer.

I saw you mentioning using this weekend to understand Diabetes better, so thought you might find our Learning Zone useful. You need to register so you could track your progress, however it's free and holds a lot of useful information.

Back