Joined today

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that I am incredibly lucky with my surgery. I have NEVER had any complaints with my practice and especially my diabetic nurses. If you are not happy with your surgery just start asking a lot of questions and they will give you the attention, even if it is just to get rid of you.
I get a 30 minute diabetic review apt every time I get my bloods done.

I did send one nurse into a tailspin a couple of weeks ago by asking about low carbs and taking empaflagozin.

I still need more info on this but I can't find anything on the forum. I will start a new thread regarding this.
I take Canagliflozin which I think is similar together with Sukkarto - I pee for England and have been told to drink lots of water. Anyway, here is a link you might find useful

I have got back in touch with the surgery and the boss diabetic nurse gave me the HbA1c number and is happy to have a more indepth chat with me. And I don't have to wait ages for an appointment.
Great news.

I have got back in touch with the surgery and the boss diabetic nurse gave me the HbA1c number and is happy to have a more indepth chat with me. And I don't have to wait ages for an appointment.
Can you tell us what the HbA1c was, as that will help tailor people's advice?

One thing you may have gathered already is that everyone is different and what suits one diabetic does not suit another. Your first few weeks or months will be a case of trial and error as you learn what affects your glucose levels, and what you are comfortable with eating. I picked up in an earlier post that you had been told to have 1/3 plate of carbs - I strongly advise you to forget that! Testing will show you just how many and what type of carbs you can eat without causing spikes. I experimented between 50gm and 130gm carbs a day (monitored by my app) and settled on 90gm +- 15gm.
For example, I can have a small slice of wholemeal bread, or 2 new potatoes, but not rice, pasta, some fruits, and all the usual suspects. Others will have very different reactions. I now aim to have 2/3 plate of vegetables and 1/3 plate of protein in my main meal, with just the occasional potato. I have a cooked breakfast of egg, mushrooms, tomatoes and the occasional slice of bread or bacon. Lunch is usually homemade vegetable soup or salad with protein. There is a post "What did you eat yesterday?" in the Food/Recipes section which will give you loads of ideas.

As you have not been prescribed medication, I am hoping you are at the lower end of the diabetic scale, and will just need a few simple tweaks. Best wishes

That’s brilliant @Bubsy 19, Information is power in this situation I feel and it gives you the tools to decide the management strategy you want to use. There’s all kinds of different approaches, low carb, moderate carb, exercise, medication etc and in my experience finding the right balance for you is the key. It has to be something you can sustain and have a quality of life you’re happy with. One size doesn’t fit all in anything really does it, so let’s hope the nurse gives you the space in the appointment to discuss options. Hope it goes well 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back