January 23rd, 1922 - Insulin injection aids diabetic patient

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
At Toronto General Hospital, 14-year-old Canadian Leonard Thompson becomes the first person to receive an insulin injection as treatment for diabetes. Diabetes has been recognized as a distinct medical condition for more than 3,000 years, but its exact cause was a mystery until the 20th century. By the early 1920s, many researchers strongly suspected that diabetes was caused by a malfunction in the digestive system related to the pancreas gland, a small organ that sits on top of the liver. At that time, the only way to treat the fatal disease was through a diet low in carbohydrates and sugar and high in fat and protein. Instead of dying shortly after diagnosis, this diet allowed diabetics to live–for about a year.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/insulin-injection-aids-diabetic-patient

A momentous day to remember, for all of us. All the treatments are geared to making the most of it, whether you make your own, pump it or inject it 🙂

Indeed, Northerner. All of us are walking around, passing for normal, without hindrance thanks to this work. These folk should never be forgotten.

The downside to this, of course, is that all diabetics with defective genes now live long enough to breed, thus spreading those genes throughout the population. That's part of the reason it's a "modern" epidemic. Good job we won the last war, Hitler would have culled us for that very reason.

Yes, as you say a momentous day. I know I occasionally bemoan my lot in having T1 but without this discovery I'd have been long gone.

Indeed, Northerner. All of us are walking around, passing for normal, without hindrance thanks to this work. These folk should never be forgotten.

The downside to this, of course, is that all diabetics with defective genes now live long enough to breed, thus spreading those genes throughout the population. That's part of the reason it's a "modern" epidemic. Good job we won the last war, Hitler would have culled us for that very reason.
Sobering thought.

The downside to this, of course, is that all diabetics with defective genes now live long enough to breed, thus spreading those genes throughout the population
Of course, if you don't develop it til late on..,.my great grandmother had already produced 10 children by the time she developed diabetes and died. (We don't know a great deal, it just mentions diabetes on the death certificate, and it was just before the successful use of insulin.) Funnily enough, I didn't develop it til I was 50 ( already having produced two children) and as far as I know, I'm the only other diabetic in the family.

A momentous day to remember for sure 🙂

A recognised medical condition for more than 3000 years and insulin for just 95 of them. Crikey very sobering, I will really enjoy my bolus for tea tonight. 🙂

Of course, if you don't develop it til late on..,.my great grandmother had already produced 10 children by the time she developed diabetes and died. (We don't know a great deal, it just mentions diabetes on the death certificate, and it was just before the successful use of insulin.) Funnily enough, I didn't develop it til I was 50 ( already having produced two children) and as far as I know, I'm the only other diabetic in the family.
Your genes don't change, no matter when you have the children, though. And then there a factors not well known which trigger it. There's a study just starting in Edinburgh looking at this to try and find out why there's an ' epidemic' of this condition.

Your genes don't change, no matter when you have the children, though. And then there a factors not well known which trigger it. There's a study just starting in Edinburgh looking at this to try and find out why there's an ' epidemic' of this condition.
That's what I meant, ( I think) she'd already passed on any dodgy genes ten times! (you'd talked about people tidying themselves off the mortal coil before reproducing) Can't account for why they only manifested themselves three generations later ( though we have a scattering of other auto immune conditions in the family, but everyone only seems to get one each)

Last edited:
I've wondered about joining the programme to get my girls tested. I don't think they'd thank me for it.

That's what I meant, ( I think) she'd already passed on any dodgy genes ten times! (you'd talked about people tidying themselves off the mortal coil before reproducing) Can't account for why they only manifested themselves three generations later ( though we have a scattering of other auto immune conditions in the family, but everyone only seems to get one each)
Aye, but in my family my older brother got one, I got three. His childhood complaints of s'not fair came true.

Thanks for the info X

All this is extremely interesting and informative. I was going along with the self-inflicted theory as I feel it is in my case. :confused: I shall have to Google Leonard...

eta
Oh Type 1 well there's the difference. We have just one Type 1 in our family. I always feel a bit of a fraud being Type 2, as if it's not a 'proper' illness and my own fault.

All this is extremely interesting and informative. I was going along with the self-inflicted theory as I feel it is in my case. :confused: I shall have to Google Leonard...

eta
Oh Type 1 well there's the difference. We have just one Type 1 in our family. I always feel a bit of a fraud being Type 2, as if it's not a 'proper' illness and my own fault.

Its not your fault. You shouldn't think that. If not looked after it can go really wrong. Its real illness no matter what anyone else thinks.

@PhoebeC is absolutely right, it's just as serious as Type 1 and presents different, but just as challenging, difficulties to manage well. Whilst things like weight gain etc. are significant risk factors you have to be at risk beforehand - most overweight people do not get diagnosed with Type 2, and a fifth of the people who do are not overweight at all, so it's a lot more complicated than it is generally presented. And you are doing a great job now of managing your levels, so don't worry about what you might have done in the past - look to the future! 🙂

I thought it was a world submerged in sugar!

@PhoebeC is absolutely right, it's just as serious as Type 1 and presents different, but just as challenging, difficulties to manage well. Whilst things like weight gain etc. are significant risk factors you have to be at risk beforehand - most overweight people do not get diagnosed with Type 2, and a fifth of the people who do are not overweight at all, so it's a lot more complicated than it is generally presented. And you are doing a great job now of managing your levels, so don't worry about what you might have done in the past - look to the future! 🙂

I agree, I'm overweight but not massively but I've a very strong family history of diabetes, my dad is slim and type 2 , my mum had reactive hypoglycaemia and gestational diabetes and sister has diabetes. Other extended family, cousins etc have type 1 and 2 so I'm very interested in the research being made at Edinburgh. I'm convinced there must be a genetic link .

I'm a 4th generation type 1 my great great uncle died before insulin became available. Great Aunt died of stupidity and not her diabetes my uncle is still alive and well aged 81 with over 50 years of diabetes under his belt then last in line yours truly with 52 years of insulin usage.

I class insulin as the elixir of life 🙂

There's been no others in my family. I knew my great gran she was 93 when she left us and she could remember everything that ever happened to her. And kept a journal since her early teens and she knew of no relatives with it. Again my grandma on my maturnal side knows a lot about her family history and there's nothing on there side aonyou would need to go back more than 120+ years. I don't think it's always in the family.

I read something on the BBC health news about these development genes in children which are not in either parent or any siblings. Loads of rare things just popping up. It can't just be the gene combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back